Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Wheel noob- help a brother out

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-14-2011, 04:28 AM   #1
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Wheel noob- help a brother out

I know, I know. I apologize. This will be my first set of aftermarket wheels and I need some advice from the veterans. I don't want anything crazy like fender rolling or rubbing so keep that in mind.

Here's what I'm looking at: http://www.**********s.com/Velocity-...tyle-Wheel.htm

Currently my selections are front: 19x8.5 ET35 rear: 19x9.5 ET33

Is there any major factors between a square setup and a staggered setup? Strongly suggest one over the other? I have all-wheel drive.

Also, this may sound ridiculous, but how would I determine what size tires to get?

Thanks
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:07 AM   #2
SpmnE9zero
DENY THE WORLD THAT SURROUNDS YOU
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB 33ZERO

Garage List
2006 330xi  [0.00]
SpmnE9zero in to "help a brother out" :/

Ok couple of things to keep in mind.
VMR wheels are a gravity cast wheel, meaning they are among the weakest wheels on the market in terms of bending and cracking. I see you are located in NY, if this is in fact the case, you may want to re-think going with a gravity cast wheel and stepping into at least a low pressure cast or flow formed wheel. They tend to hold up a good bit better under less than normal driving standards such as potholes.

Having said that, the wheel you have chosen... the V701, man that is a great looking wheel! One of my personal favorites. Good for you, they are a rep of the Advan RS wheel which is in fact a flow formed, 1 piece wheel. Now obviously with better products, the price goes up.

Now if you dont want any rubbing or rolling of fenders, the offsets you have chosen are spot on for a staggered set up.
I am an xi as well and run staggered, most of us on here do. The advantage of staggered is merely aesthetics. The advantage of square setups are rotating wheels to opposite corners and running more of an oem setup as some believe staggered on xi will hurt the transfer case, I have yet to see proof of this. You should be fine running a staggered set up as long as you run 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. This set up will get your parameters closest to the proper tire ratios.

Hope this helps

Shane
      10-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #3
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

The VMR V701 is a beautiful wheel indeed. The xi (awd) models are rear wheel drive biased, so you will be fine running a staggered setup. The sizes you have chosen for your vehicle are perfect and you should experience no rubbing. 19x8.5 ET35 front with a 235/35/19 tire and 19x9.5 ET33 rear with a 265/30/19 tire is the recommended setup for your car. All finishes are available for the wheel. Let me know if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 05:33 PM   #4
Timothy J
Captain
Rep
Drives: Too much

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpmnE9zero View Post
SpmnE9zero in to "help a brother out" :/

VMR wheels are a gravity cast wheel, meaning they are among the weakest wheels on the market in terms of bending and cracking. I see you are located in NY, if this is in fact the case, you may want to re-think going with a gravity cast wheel and stepping into at least a low pressure cast or flow formed wheel. They tend to hold up a good bit better under less than normal driving standards such as potholes.

Having said that, the wheel you have chosen... the V701, man that is a great looking wheel! One of my personal favorites. Good for you, they are a rep of the Advan RS wheel which is in fact a flow formed, 1 piece wheel. Now obviously with better products, the price goes up.

Now if you dont want any rubbing or rolling of fenders, the offsets you have chosen are spot on for a staggered set up.
I am an xi as well and run staggered, most of us on here do. The advantage of staggered is merely aesthetics. The advantage of square setups are rotating wheels to opposite corners and running more of an oem setup as some believe staggered on xi will hurt the transfer case, I have yet to see proof of this. You should be fine running a staggered set up as long as you run 235/35/19 front and 265/30/19 rear. This set up will get your parameters closest to the proper tire ratios.

Hope this helps

Shane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan@Jlevi SW View Post
The VMR V701 is a beautiful wheel indeed. The xi (awd) models are rear wheel drive biased, so you will be fine running a staggered setup. The sizes you have chosen for your vehicle are perfect and you should experience no rubbing. 19x8.5 ET35 front with a 235/35/19 tire and 19x9.5 ET33 rear with a 265/30/19 tire is the recommended setup for your car. All finishes are available for the wheel. Let me know if you have any questions.
Wow thanks for the help guys! Awesome! Shane, I have a winter setup, so these rims, will they be okay for just a summer setup? Believe me, I'd rather get the Advans but they're a bit pricey for me at the moment.
2024 BMW M2 BSM 6MT Carbon Package
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

All the above is correct. All in all, it comes down to your personal choice and of course your budget on a set of wheels. You'll be able to fit the 19x8.5 ET35 with a 235/35/19 up front and the 19x9.5 ET33 with a 265/30/19 in the rear without any issues on your xi aka x-drive model 335. You will not have any rubbing issues and do not need to modify your fenders in anyway!!
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2011, 09:38 PM   #6
ffdawson
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xiT

Hey there...
I hate to thread poach, but it seems your question has been answered thoroughly and rather than start yet another "Noob in need" thread, I'll ask my question here!
Will this staggered setup work on an e-91? i've also got the x drive model. I'm looking at a set of 359m reps in Front: 19x8.5 et35 Rear: 19x9.5 et35.
Will this fit right with the et35 in the rear?
thanks and sorry for thread jacking!!
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 11:07 AM   #7
SV Concepts II
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffdawson View Post
Hey there...
I hate to thread poach, but it seems your question has been answered thoroughly and rather than start yet another "Noob in need" thread, I'll ask my question here!
Will this staggered setup work on an e-91? i've also got the x drive model. I'm looking at a set of 359m reps in Front: 19x8.5 et35 Rear: 19x9.5 et35.
Will this fit right with the et35 in the rear?
thanks and sorry for thread jacking!!
The sizes for the E90 and E91 are the same. For the Avant Garde M359 wheels, you would need a 19x9 ET35 and 19x10 ET38.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2011, 02:32 PM   #8
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
All of our wheels are JWL and VIA certified meaning that they pass crash safety standards. Any wheel, even forged, could bend or crack when driven through a pothole. With the right tire size and careful driving though, this can be avoided.
Quote:

Hope this helps

Shane

Those sizes for wheels and tires will fit perfectly at stock height with no rubbing issues whatsoever!