ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-04-2007, 10:56 AM   #1
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4

Best aftermarket In-dash GPS?

I am considering buying an aftermarket in dash GPS for my 04 Z4 and I was wondering if anybody has done this before....and if so, what gps did you purchase and what are your thoughts? I do not want a Pioneer Avic-N series because you have to take out the GPS DVD every time you want to listen to a CD. I am considering going with a Kenwood or Eclipse unit.

Thoughts?

Patrick
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2007, 11:32 AM   #2
Audiomotive
CarPC Guy
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC

I have the Alpine NVE-872 nav with a IVA-w200 screen. Very simple to use and has Sirius traffic updates. ALways liked Alpine nav's. Also had the older 852 model, 872 is a huge update to that. Only drawback is its pricey.
      07-28-2007, 03:34 AM   #3
Chris Modiano
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 07 Z4 M Coupe, 19 F 750 GS

Ohboy, I didn't know you could stick an aftermarket head unit in the Z. This is of great interest to me...

Question time: (talking about a Z4, not 3)
-Can you install only single dinn units, or can you go double dinn?
-Is it possible to retain the functionality of the steering wheel radio controls? How about BMW assist?
-Can somebody post a picture of your double or single dinn setup??

Thanks! Im a fan of fancy in dash systems, and whatever the results are of this thread will have a big impact on when i get my Z in the fall.

Oh, and sorry to hijack this thread. I think the best in dash unitsare the Pioneer Z2 and N3, but you arent interested in those. Ohwell.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 06:05 AM   #4
Chris Modiano
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ok, did a little research. My memory of the dash was a little bit off. I guess you could fit a double din in there, but you'd have to do some tricky relocation of the vents...too much. But I found a cheap dash kit with a single din slot, which is awesome. So am I to assume a single din unit will fit and interface well with the car? I still have the same questions from before, such as the functionality of BMW Assist, and the steering wheel buttons.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
preilly44
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 04 Z4

As far as I know you cannot use the steering wheel controls (that is what my stereo guy told me anyway). I tried using the PAC SWI (steering wheel Interface) and they said it doesn't work if you have the BMW Assist because the wiring is different.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2007, 02:06 PM   #6
Chris Modiano
Enlisted Member
Rep

Ohwell. Coming from a non luxury car (my 99 Miata), I was looking forward to having steering wheel audio controls...having a beautiful Pioneer Avic-N2 should make up for it though. Do the core functions of BMW assist still work? I don't care about traffic directions and concierge service and whatever, but the accident notification and stolen car recovery are very appealing to me.
Appreciate 0