Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Tire/Rim Setup - First Snow

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

10-29-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
mcanarelli
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M Sport

Winter Tire/Rim Setup - First Snow

2011 335i xDrive
17" Rial Salerno
Michelin Alpin's

Amazing in the snow... granted we haven't gotten that much.

Just wanted to share.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:18 PM   #2
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: AW 2008 E90 335xi

out of curiosity, did you tirerack those and install them yourself? thinking of doing the same, nice set up!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:37 PM   #3
mcanarelli
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by setofvs View Post
out of curiosity, did you tirerack those and install them yourself? thinking of doing the same, nice set up!
My brother had the tires from his 330i but he bought them from tirerack a couple years ago. They are literally like new.

The rims came from tirerack - pretty cheap too! I did NOT get the tpms sensors. The service guys said it was just added expense... the car dings when I start it, the light flashes for a minute and then becomes solid. It's fine though. TPMS sensors are only like 200 or so on tirerack - dealer wanted $500!!! The bmw dealer was pretty expensive to mount and balance - I want to say it was like 180. I had the car there already because I had to use my tire and wheel coverage - boogered up a rim and took a chunk out of the sidewall. So it was the perfect time to get the new setup put on.

I will say these tires are pretty loud - turning, stopping, and highway. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the LM60's. Never used them though.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #4
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcanarelli View Post
My brother had the tires from his 330i but he bought them from tirerack a couple years ago. They are literally like new.

The rims came from tirerack - pretty cheap too! I did NOT get the tpms sensors. The service guys said it was just added expense... the car dings when I start it, the light flashes for a minute and then becomes solid. It's fine though. TPMS sensors are only like 200 or so on tirerack - dealer wanted $500!!! The bmw dealer was pretty expensive to mount and balance - I want to say it was like 180. I had the car there already because I had to use my tire and wheel coverage - boogered up a rim and took a chunk out of the sidewall. So it was the perfect time to get the new setup put on.

I will say these tires are pretty loud - turning, stopping, and highway. I have heard and read a lot of good things about the LM60's. Never used them though.
Ah, thanks for the insight. I'm looking to purchase a full square set up from Tirerack myself. Was wondering if the TPMS option was a necessity, but if the only difference is the ding and then a solid TPMS light on the dash, I can live with that for a couple of months. I check my tire pressure pretty frequently anyways.

Tirerack says they offer a Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing, so I'm assuming that they will mount and balance the wheel and tire prior to shipping to me...guess all I need to do is jack up my car and install the wheel myself.

I have BMW's wheel and tire plan as well...wonder if they'll install it for me haha.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:46 PM   #5
mcanarelli
Rep

Quote:
Ah, thanks for the insight. I'm looking to purchase a full square set up from Tirerack myself. Was wondering if the TPMS option was a necessity, but if the only difference is the ding and then a solid TPMS light on the dash, I can live with that for a couple of months. I check my tire pressure pretty frequently anyways.

Tirerack says they offer a Hunter Road Force™ Mounting and Balancing, so I'm assuming that they will mount and balance the wheel and tire prior to shipping to me...guess all I need to do is jack up my car and install the wheel myself.
Yes, tirerack will mount and balance if you buy the entire set. I just got rims so it didnt work out for me. Definitely easier if you get the whole set from them... then you don't have to load up the car and take it somewhere and then put the old rims in trashbags to bring them home, then lug them downstairs - pain in the rear!

Quote:
I have BMW's wheel and tire plan as well...wonder if they'll install it for me haha.
I asked if they would mount them for free since I have the coverage - no such luck! They literally laughed. AND they were would have had to mount the new one anyway.... still no love from them.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:

The tires just need to be swapped out if coming from Tire Rack already mounted and balanced. I use a local vendor, Merchants Tires, who treats it like it was a tire rotation and cost $16. Initially had tires/wheels shipped from Tire Rack to Merchant Tire so I didn't have to lug them there. Bought tire totes to bring the summers home.

Now, the dilemma you face would be:
  • $16, sipping a coffee/tea watching techs dismount/mount summer/winters, or
  • Doing it yourself
I'm lazy, so I take it to Merchants Tire to help boost the economy (plus, I don't have the tools except for my cell phone...LOL).

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #7
setofvs
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by flip4335 View Post
The tires just need to be swapped out if coming from Tire Rack already mounted and balanced. I use a local vendor, Merchants Tires, who treats it like it was a tire rotation and cost $16. Initially had tires/wheels shipped from Tire Rack to Merchant Tire so I didn't have to lug them there. Bought tire totes to bring the summers home.

Now, the dilemma you face would be:
  • $16, sipping a coffee/tea watching techs dismount/mount summer/winters, or
  • Doing it yourself
I'm lazy, so I take it to Merchants Tire to help boost the economy (plus, I don't have the tools except for my cell phone...LOL).

Haha if it'll only cost me $16 twice a year in NY, i'd definitely jump on that. So...TPMS or no TPMS, now that is the question. Other than that annoying light on the dash, no other cons? That may not be worth $200 to me keeping the winters on 4 months out of the year.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2011, 05:04 PM   #8
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:
Haha if it'll only cost me $16 twice a year in NY, i'd definitely jump on that. So...TPMS or no TPMS, now that is the question. Other than that annoying light on the dash, no other cons? That may not be worth $200 to me keeping the winters on 4 months out of the year.
It's like rotating the tires, only you are rotating one set of tires on and another set of tires off...LOL

I bought the set with TPMS. It saved my ass that one time. I would highly recommend it...but that's just me.

Your choice.

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0