E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - New England > Servicing in Boston

11-20-2011, 07:29 AM   #1
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI BMW E90 Black

Servicing in Boston

So I have had crappy experiences at HC BMW so I am wondering if people use a independent shop around here that's certified or another good dealership. Im at 45k mile mark
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 07:59 AM   #2
artie6051
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 320i ZSP ZMT

I use Village European in Concord
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2011, 07:24 PM   #3
Bakeneko
--
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 xi

Since I got my Dinan work done at BMW Norwood, I go there for service. I've had nothing but good experiences there.

The other metro area shop that I trust is German Performance Service in Brighton. The ex-crew chief of Turner Motorsports runs/owns it.

I haven't tried them, but people here vouch for Bavarian Performance Group in Winchester.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 08:40 AM   #4
lucius
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

Boston Motor Werks in Belmont.
Run by two master techs who used to work for Herb Chambers BMW.
http://www.bostonmotorwerks.com/
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 11:34 AM   #5
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I suggest going to BMW Gallery in Sudbury. Ask for Kevin as a service associate. Tell him Matt sent you. I've read on here more than 1 time that people were VERY happy with him, before they even know to mention me He knows his shit and has this way of treating every car like it's his own.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:48 AM   #6
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep

Sounds like I have plenty of alternatives. Thanks for the advice all !
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2011, 04:02 PM   #7
sarafil
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 20 X5 M50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkrom View Post
I suggest going to BMW Gallery in Sudbury. Ask for Kevin as a service associate. Tell him Matt sent you. I've read on here more than 1 time that people were VERY happy with him, before they even know to mention me He knows his shit and has this way of treating every car like it's his own.
Which one do you mean??

BMW Gallery has 2 locations in Norwood or Norwell
Herb Chambers has 2 locations in Boston or Sudbury

There is no BMW Gallery in Sudbury.
      11-28-2011, 07:23 AM   #8
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafil View Post
Which one do you mean??

BMW Gallery has 2 locations in Norwood or Norwell
Herb Chambers has 2 locations in Boston or Sudbury

There is no BMW Gallery in Sudbury.

Sure there is haha.

http://bmwservicesudbury.com/?gclid=...FcZM4AodkVbtqg
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 08:23 AM   #9
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

herb chambers is sudbury.
      11-28-2011, 08:33 AM   #10
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Now I'm confused. I take my car to sudbury for service, I always thought it was called BMW gallery....my best friend works there and I've been there a few times so I'll be really confused if it is not Gallery lol.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #11
JeffL
Major
Rep
Drives: C63

it's not. the gallery group are the 2 BMW dealers in Norwood and Norwell. herb chambers BMW is sudbury it's a nice place I used to go there with my e60m5. but it's still herb chambers.
      11-29-2011, 07:55 AM   #12
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Came back to say you guys were right. I have NO idea why I thought it was gallery, I've been meaning to suggest the Herb Chambers in Sudbury. Ask for Kevin there lol.

Sorry!
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep

Gonna use BMW gallery in Norwood just had bad experiences with HC
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2011, 09:17 PM   #14
loobie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 535xi

Had bad problems with HC too. Will never buy from them again or have a car serviced there
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 02:28 AM   #15
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobie View Post
Had bad problems with HC too. Will never buy from them again or have a car serviced there
Can you elaborate further on ur experience, so far i've found them to be quite good. They always tried their best to provide me with a BMW loaner, even when i sent my car in without an appointment, and they always return me my car ASAP. Sales dept could be better though.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 07:17 AM   #16
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Im biased because my buddy works there, but from what I've seen and had done they took great care of me and my car. It's worth mentioning that I have an aftermarket shitty care guard warranty.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2011, 09:34 PM   #17
loobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmer35 View Post
Can you elaborate further on ur experience, so far i've found them to be quite good. They always tried their best to provide me with a BMW loaner, even when i sent my car in without an appointment, and they always return me my car ASAP. Sales dept could be better though.
#1 Sales attitude was BS

#2 Car continually serviced incorrectly

#3 When I dealt with them in 2002/2003 Herbs Niece was the GM. Everyone called her Medusa. When I was trying to get a problem resolved for a lemon law. They told me to get a lawyer

On top of all this when the GM was not returning my calls I ran into her when I was out in Beacon hill. She was rude when I asked her why she wasn't returning my calls. In the end I got a check from BMW NA and will not buy from them again.

Its been a while and your experiences may differ. My last 2 BMWS have been serviced elsewhere. [/I]
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:35 AM   #18
CSM3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E86 Z4M, F80 M3CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by loobie View Post
#1 Sales attitude was BS

#2 Car continually serviced incorrectly

#3 When I dealt with them in 2002/2003 Herbs Niece was the GM. Everyone called her Medusa. When I was trying to get a problem resolved for a lemon law. They told me to get a lawyer

On top of all this when the GM was not returning my calls I ran into her when I was out in Beacon hill. She was rude when I asked her why she wasn't returning my calls. In the end I got a check from BMW NA and will not buy from them again.

Its been a while and your experiences may differ. My last 2 BMWS have been serviced elsewhere. [/I]
Sorry the hear, i mean they are definitely not perfect, but the service staff do try! Helps if you talk "Buddy" to them! haha. Hope it gets better for you the next time you visit.

BTW, all said and done, their location is really very convenient for those that live in the heart of Boston.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 04:43 AM   #19
heatfan03
Private First Class
Rep

I will explain my reasoning behind HC in Boston and the poor service and just overall bad experiences i have had there:

1. booked in my service appointment and requested a loaner. at the time I was 20 and so I asked the receptionist to confirm I would be eligible for the loaner I was being signed up for. I know some places are different and I was assured its fine.

And then obviously once im there going through the papers and such and they are like your not 21 you cant get a rental, and obviously I explained that i had doubled checked this.

the issue was with my headlights.
they bring the car out and replace the wrong one. They then say oh sorry we don't have that in stock and so I ask him to check and he says well we dont but I will. And they did obviously

so then the manager
I will stop here and say the manager is agreat guy and with the issues i had he always ended up resolving them well although the hastle of it was too much. Also from what I heard the last time I gave a call there it seems he isn't doing too well health wise and took a leave of absence (I cant remember his name im awful with names )

so anyway manager comes out and say ok we will get this done straight away
(keep in mind I have had to now set up and work /take calls from their lounge since I couldn't get a rental )

they say an hour tops and after an hour 20 I ask and after 2 hrs and after a total of 5 hrs from getting there I get my lovely car brought back out headlights looking great..... and in this timeframe they seemed to think I should not be annoyed that it is taking this long even after the further issue

guy hands me the sheet to sign off on no damage to car after he walked around.. so I do my check and obviously had pictures before hand and lo and behold 2 6 inch scrapes on my right door. the sales guy denied it

but again i will give credit to the management at least handling these situations to an extent and he immediately said it will be taken care of no charge etc

so good outcome , good management, horrible experience and yeah just not how a business should be run. seems to be no true leader or proper organizational structure in the service department.

that said shooting over to BMW Gallery Norwood tomorrow for my service.

p.s. sorry this turned into a rant a bit blah frustration oh well
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #20
darkrom
Colonel
United_States
Rep

The rental thing SUCKS but you can't blame them. Rental laws/rules seem insane in this state. I needed a rental which was covered by my insurance when my last car got messed up bad by some dick in a hummer. The insurance company who LOVES me had to tell me that I couldn't get a rental because I was 20 at the time and needed to be 21. Turns out I paid for several years of rental coverage before even though I was unable to use it when I need it.

That's BS and I seriously hate it, but the insurance company has been so good to me (even taking a payment late and pretending it was THEIR error) that I just said fuck it. You cover my ass I'll return the favor haha.

Does suck, but I urge anyone to give them a try again and ask for Kevin Waters. If you get him you WILL have a nice experience or it is your fault LOL. He is that kinda guy who loves cars and will take care of you. He's not just going to some job he hates for the cash. If you see him mention you know me. Good guy and my experiences there have all been good, but they've all been through him too. Consider him your route to quality service every time.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 01:30 PM   #21
loobie
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by heatfan03 View Post
I will explain my reasoning behind HC in Boston and the poor service and just overall bad experiences i have had there:

1. booked in my service appointment and requested a loaner. at the time I was 20 and so I asked the receptionist to confirm I would be eligible for the loaner I was being signed up for. I know some places are different and I was assured its fine.

And then obviously once im there going through the papers and such and they are like your not 21 you cant get a rental, and obviously I explained that i had doubled checked this.

the issue was with my headlights.
they bring the car out and replace the wrong one. They then say oh sorry we don't have that in stock and so I ask him to check and he says well we dont but I will. And they did obviously

so then the manager
I will stop here and say the manager is agreat guy and with the issues i had he always ended up resolving them well although the hastle of it was too much. Also from what I heard the last time I gave a call there it seems he isn't doing too well health wise and took a leave of absence (I cant remember his name im awful with names )

so anyway manager comes out and say ok we will get this done straight away
(keep in mind I have had to now set up and work /take calls from their lounge since I couldn't get a rental )

they say an hour tops and after an hour 20 I ask and after 2 hrs and after a total of 5 hrs from getting there I get my lovely car brought back out headlights looking great..... and in this timeframe they seemed to think I should not be annoyed that it is taking this long even after the further issue

guy hands me the sheet to sign off on no damage to car after he walked around.. so I do my check and obviously had pictures before hand and lo and behold 2 6 inch scrapes on my right door. the sales guy denied it

but again i will give credit to the management at least handling these situations to an extent and he immediately said it will be taken care of no charge etc

so good outcome , good management, horrible experience and yeah just not how a business should be run. seems to be no true leader or proper organizational structure in the service department.

that said shooting over to BMW Gallery Norwood tomorrow for my service.

p.s. sorry this turned into a rant a bit blah frustration oh well
Any idea about service at norwood? I have a couple months to go before i need an oil change but got the car there so might check em out. I ran into my service advisor from Inskip there so I might go to him.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 07:16 PM   #22
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
lol all the master techs are opening their own shops
Appreciate 0