E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > 335D twin turbo specifications

11-22-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
Julesandtrish
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [10.00]
335D twin turbo specifications

Hey everybody. After getting a dyno (mustang) today I got to thinking about turbo specs on the D. While waiting for my car to be mounted on the dyno I eyed a large brand new Garrett turbo sitting on the counter. The service guy goes on to tell me that "yeah this thing is good for 750 HP.". Holy $&@!! "yeah it's going on a 300zx to replace the twin turbo set up". So I ask you my fellow Diesel heads.....

1. Anyone know what both stock (small & large) turbos are rated to?
2. Is it the same as what the transmission is rated for?
3. If so, then how does the JBD Play into all of this? (100%, 80%, 65% )

Also, in case you were wondering, my numbers were OK I guess. 272HP & 431 TQ (both at the wheels) service guy said usually they estimate a 15-20% loss for those numbers on the dyno. Inquiring minds want to know.
      11-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #2
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335d

rated? not sure, but the turbos in the d are designed to run at crazy high psi, something like 32 psi. there are two, a smaller and a bigger one. the jbd does not adjust turbo boost, only adds more fuel which is how you make more power in a diesel.

as for your results, are you running the jbd? i would assume so since your hp number is higher than stock. what setting was your jbd at?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #3
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cssnms View Post
rated? not sure, but the turbos in the d are designed to run at crazy high psi, something like 32 psi. there are two, a smaller and a bigger one. the jbd does not adjust turbo boost, only adds more fuel which is how you make more power in a diesel.

as for your results, are you running the jbd? i would assume so since your hp number is higher than stock. what setting was your jbd at?
FYI, our cars run at 28PSI at stock.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
Julesandtrish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [10.00]

100%. I also have an open cone intake installed at the moment.
      11-22-2011, 08:29 PM   #5
cssnms
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

mustang dyno's usually read low by comparison with a dyno jet. I wouldn't read to much into the results, dyno's are good for establishing a baseline before adding a tune, intake etc. should have take it in before adding the jbd, then before adding the intake.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #6
Julesandtrish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [10.00]
Yeah, I think I will be doing a dyno shortly after taking the car to the dealer again (have to take off jbd and put stock intake back on) for the next service. Do you know what type of turbos we have? Garrett perhaps?
      11-22-2011, 10:55 PM   #7
Ron1n
Speed Demon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M5C

Garage List
2021 M5 Competition  [0.00]
2016 BMW 550i  [0.00]
2011 335is  [0.00]
2009 E93 M3  [10.00]
2010 335d  [9.50]
You don't have to swap out the intake. I left mine on for the last service, and they didn't say anything...I wouldn't worry about that bit too much.

Current: '21 M5C, '15 X6 50i Previous: '18 M550i, '16 550i, '11 335is, '09 E93 M3 DCT, '10 E90 335d, '07 E90 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 01:13 AM   #8
neovb
Private
Rep

Our turbos are made by Borg Warner.

I will say that its probably impractical to go to a single large turbo. For one, you'd have to have a custom exhaust manifold and downpipe designed and built. After that, you'd have to come up with either a standalone ECU option or have a piggyback controlling fuel, timing and boost. I'd imagine you'd probably have to get rid of the DPF and urea injection (for US cars), as with a high flow turbo and increased boost you'd need fairly larger exhaust piping. Plus, lots and lots of tuning. Unfortunately, I'd think the JBD just isnt robust enough for this type of upgrade and I dont think the OEM ECU would be able to compensate. You'd also have to probably think about larger fuel injectors (not sure how this works on a direct-injected setup) and an upgraded fuel pump. Add to that a larger FMIC and larger piping to compensate for the increased air flow and higher intake air temperatures (after the compressor).

I'd also wager that you'd lose all low end power and torque, although this may be somewhat mitigated if you go with a good ball-bearing turbo thats properly sized.

What I think is very feasible is keeping the stock turbos and using a standalone ECU (i.e. AEM EMS) to control engine tuning functions (fuel flow/pressure, boost, timing, etc.) but leaving the OEM ECU to control the "normal" stuff (i.e. DPF, urea injection, etc.). With this setup, its also probably very possible to code out any errors that show up based on the aftermarket tuning solution. I'd bet our stock turbos are capable of pushing at least 5-10 more psi than stock, and if we could tune fuel and timing to match, we'd probably see some serious power increases. Of course, someone would have to shell out some serious cash to be the test subject!

Now, I could be completely wrong about all of this, as I'm completely and totally based on my upgrading/tuning experience with gas cars. But anyways, those are just my thoughts
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Julesandtrish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron1n View Post
You don't have to swap out the intake. I left mine on for the last service, and they didn't say anything...I wouldn't worry about that bit too much.
OK. Thanks for the tip. The SA's at hendrick BMW are usually pretty good. I guess as long as there is a filter on it, it's still doing the job.
      11-23-2011, 06:17 PM   #10
Julesandtrish
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW 335D  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by neovb View Post
Our turbos are made by Borg Warner.

I will say that its probably impractical to go to a single large turbo. For one, you'd have to have a custom exhaust manifold and downpipe designed and built. After that, you'd have to come up with either a standalone ECU option or have a piggyback controlling fuel, timing and boost. I'd imagine you'd probably have to get rid of the DPF and urea injection (for US cars), as with a high flow turbo and increased boost you'd need fairly larger exhaust piping. Plus, lots and lots of tuning. Unfortunately, I'd think the JBD just isnt robust enough for this type of upgrade and I dont think the OEM ECU would be able to compensate. You'd also have to probably think about larger fuel injectors (not sure how this works on a direct-injected setup) and an upgraded fuel pump. Add to that a larger FMIC and larger piping to compensate for the increased air flow and higher intake air temperatures (after the compressor).

I'd also wager that you'd lose all low end power and torque, although this may be somewhat mitigated if you go with a good ball-bearing turbo thats properly sized.

What I think is very feasible is keeping the stock turbos and using a standalone ECU (i.e. AEM EMS) to control engine tuning functions (fuel flow/pressure, boost, timing, etc.) but leaving the OEM ECU to control the "normal" stuff (i.e. DPF, urea injection, etc.). With this setup, its also probably very possible to code out any errors that show up based on the aftermarket tuning solution. I'd bet our stock turbos are capable of pushing at least 5-10 more psi than stock, and if we could tune fuel and timing to match, we'd probably see some serious power increases. Of course, someone would have to shell out some serious cash to be the test subject!

Now, I could be completely wrong about all of this, as I'm completely and totally based on my upgrading/tuning experience with gas cars. But anyways, those are just my thoughts
Thanks neovb. Interesting points. Sounds really involved to go down that road. Maybe Dinan is working on true psi boost tune for the D.