Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Running a run flat flat

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-15-2011, 01:06 PM   #1
330ibmwbeast
Rep
Drives: 06 bmw 330i sport

Running a run flat flat

If you run a oe runflat tire on low pressure or flat for long enough to break apart a very small part of the sealant on the inside of the tire, does it make the tire ununable? Tire still holds great pressure and has 40% tread remaining. Low pressure was caused by crack in wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 01:21 PM   #2
330ibmwbeast
Rep
Drives: 06 bmw 330i sport

question

the reason i ask this question is bc:

I cracked a wheel and after ordering a replacement wheel i carried it to a local tire store to be swapped. When they made an effort to remove the tire from the bad wheel the blew out my sidewall with their machine. Appears to me that the pressure was not placed in the middle of the steel belt but right between the belt and the tread. Then when (20 min later) they finally removed the whole tire, not only was it blown out on the side wall but they also chewed huge chunks out of my lip and depressed the tire so hard that it split the sealant on the inside of the tire all the way around. I argued that they demolished my tire but they state bc it was run low pressure that the tire was allready bad. Who is to blame?
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 07:17 PM   #3
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

The run-flats internally self destruct when you run them flat (without air). On the outside the tire might look fine but on the inside the tire starts to break apart.

I highly doubt they did anything wrong. Run-flats especially 18" 35 series are a bitch to mount and un-mount. Took two guys at the tire shop to replace mine. They were bending the heck out of it trying to get in off and then on... nothing wrong with the tire, but it was NEVER run flat either.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Exactly, the tire sacrifices itself if the pressure is low, read this article:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=156
Appreciate 0