E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Charge Pipe, BOV and intake tune

12-18-2011, 04:46 PM   #1
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
Charge Pipe, BOV and intake tune

Hey guys,

I recently picked up my 08 335i very and was looking into getting some mods done. I\'m a noob with these engines and with turbo for that matter so I was hoping I could get some insight.

I\'ve done some research on charge pipes and from what I can see their main purpose is to prevent boost leak and nothing else...is that correct? If so, can anyone recommend a good quality CP that won\'t break the bank?

I\'ve also done some research on BOV\'s and their main purpose is to relieve pressure from the turbos? If that\'s correct why do they cost $250-$500 when I see people DIY and simply disconnecting the inlet hoses from stock BOV and that creates same effect...can someone confirm this won\'t cause a loss in power or hurt the turbos/engine in any way?

As for intakes I\'ve always loved Injen\'s CAI and was looking at grabbing that with some scoops to help direct their air more thoroughly to the intakes. As far as I\'ve read, this doesn\'t yield much power but does help throttle response and airflow efficiency. Wondering if it\'s worth the $500 or if I should do a DIY and I\'ll see same results?

As for tunes, I know there are differences of opinion here so I\'ll be straight with what I\'m looking for.
1. Something reliable with power that can clear codes on its on and switch maps with a touch of a button
2. Has a stock/ fuel efficient map for DD and can easily switch to aggressive map on command
3. Will compliment the above mods

This is what I\'m looking at doing right now and honestly was hoping I didn\'t have to spend more then $1500, but all of these things together with name brand and quality will easily run $2k.

Any ideas on the above and recommendations?

Thanks in advance for the input.
P.S. I\'m in Ontario, CA so climate isn\'t necessarily an issue here until we get our short 2-3 month spurt of 30 weather (Celsius)
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:43 PM   #2
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

PM Jeff@Topgearsolutions for the best advice and deals

Last edited by Brey335i; 12-18-2011 at 06:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 05:47 PM   #3
soulja620
Cpl D
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I dont know if they still sell, but ive had my ******** cp, and bov for about 30k with no issues ever... Even had it tapped for two meth jet bungs..

I dnt know what DIY you're talkin bout but the same vac hoses you use for the stock dv's is what would put vac from an aftermarket bov

Id recommend Dual cone inakes... works great, and cheap..

For 1500 you can have your car doing 11's... Tune, meth, intakes, and Cp... Jus sayin =)

Takes maybe 40mins to bring my car back to stock....
      12-18-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

1)As far as the chargepipe/BOV combo: the stock CP is usually good even when running 18psi, unless you know it's leaking then it's not really a need tochange it out. Usually people change them to run a meth bung. The BOV is a sound mod, plain and simple. If cost is a concern Helix makes a BOV conversion kit that uses the stock charge pipe and it's about $320 and sounds cool as hell.
2)The tune that sounds like i'tll best suit your needs is a JB4, just because of how well the on the fly map switching works. But honestly, there's no wrong choice here. Whichever tune you choose you'll more than likely love. I've been running the cobb for months and i love it, no issues and map switching is overrated IMHO
3)If you're willing to DIY the MR 5 intake is the best out. However, Helix is working on a MR 5 style of their own. So you may wan't to check with them. The factory airbox can be an expensive DIY bit. Ofcoarse, you could just run the BMS DCI as most people are.
Hope i was atleast a little help.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:01 PM   #5
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Thanks for the input so far guys. I know these questions have been beaten to death and are quite noobish, but I appreciate active input.

As far as the DIY for BOV I was referring too, I saw a DIY where they were simply disconnecting the hose where pressure is released for the same effect of an aftermarket BOV at $0 cost. I believe where the pressure/oil is restored after pressure release was simply covered/plugged.

From what I understood the CP is by necessary as long as their are no leaks. If that's the case maybe I'll just have it checked and if no leaks I'll leave it stock.

I've read up a lot on the Mr.5 intake and it's quite cost effective considering it does the same thing power wise as after market intakes on this car. As for the dual cone set up, I'm a huge fan when they are pulling old air and are not surrounded by hot hair or sealed up somehow. Not a fan of letting them sit in the engine bay breathing strictly
warm air. Guess just getting more air is of more concern so maybe I'll try the Mr. 5 intake first and see what happens.

The JB4 sounds great and I've heard great things about Cobb as well. Not sure what I'll do, but it might just come down to cost of they are almost identical.

As for meth, I don't think I'll be going that route because I'm not an avid racer and I use the car for DD. I actually like the lil bit of space in my trunk and don't want to make it any smaller lol. We'll see, maybe of it improves fuel consumption I'd consider it lol....
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #6
rader1
Banned
Rep

The thing people don't consider about the DCI is that it isn't just sitting in the engine bay. When you're traveling at speed it is being directly blasted by air coming through the grills and the stock air duct. If you're stopped with the engine running, yeah it is getting hot. But honestly, heatsoaking the intercooler is a bigger concern if idling in a parking lot.
I ran the DIY BOV for a week or two and i wasn't super impressed with it, but it was almost free so i'm not gonna complain. FYI: Home Depot sells 1" ID black rubber caps for like $5 and they worked great. I couldn't find them at lowes.

Last edited by rader1; 12-18-2011 at 06:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #7
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
The people dont consider about the DCI is that it isn't just sitting in the engine bay. When you're traveling at speed it is being directly blasted by air coming through the grills and the stock air duct. If you're stopped with the engine running, yeah it is getting hot. But honestly, heatsoaking the intercooler is a bigger concern if idling in a parking lot.
DCI, isn't that something to do with fuel injection. Or are you referring to intake/intercooler?
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:18 PM   #8
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
DCI, isn't that something to do with fuel injection. Or are you referring to intake/intercooler?
The intake, im just saying the air hitting the intake isn't as hot as some people think.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:45 PM   #9
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I c, so I guess I'll try my own DIY set-up with the intake and see how that works. I guess I shouldnt bother with scoops either because while the car is moving the intake will be pulling all the forced air. And I'm assuming the scoops might actually block the intercooler from getting its maximum air.

Would an FMIC be a good upgrade and help make power? Or is it simply to keep the engine cooler and improve cooling efficiency?

Thanks for everything so far
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Where do I start...

First and foremost the injen is not a cold air intake, its a hot air intake like the rest of the dual cone intakes. Although getting more flow is the answer for high boost applications so using the stock bottleneck intake is not recommended.

Charge pipes alone really add no power on this car, they are mainly used for methanol upgrades or to add BOV.

In regards to BOV, the purpose is to relieve pressure, replace a stock DV that is leaking and or some people go to a BOV simply for the sound, although again they do serve a purpose.

You can change out your stock diverter valves with forge DV if they are leaking and save your self a few dollars.

As far as the tunes go I will not answer you here as it just results in a war on this forum, so you can see my PM.

I feel there are a lot of other options to get you some good power, mainly Tune,intake and Downpipes. If your not set on using catless downpipes then perhaps a front mount intercooler would be another option for you if not all 4 mods for great reliable power.

Scoops will not block the intercooler by the way.

See pm

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-18-2011 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 07:02 PM   #11
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I c, so I guess I'll try my own DIY set-up with the intake and see how that works. I guess I shouldnt bother with scoops either because while the car is moving the intake will be pulling all the forced air. And I'm assuming the scoops might actually block the intercooler from getting its maximum air.

Would an FMIC be a good upgrade and help make power? Or is it simply to keep the engine cooler and improve cooling efficiency?

Thanks for everything so far
An upgraded FMIC is a very good upgrade. It may not make a ton of power on its own but it makes the engine run a lot better. Ive seen dynos claiming 20+whp. I cant say i've felt a 20hp difference since i installed mine, but the engines seems to be MUCH happier.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:13 PM   #12
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Well with FMIC, intake, CP/BOV and tune I should be pushing close to 350whp no?

I'm assuming that these mods will be about 70hp (figuring stock is about 280whp). I'd be happy with those numbers for a start.

After all, I just got the car and my main goal right now is to be as fuel efficient as it can be and a quicker response at the throttle hole eliminating the turbo lag if possible.
To be frank if I could do these two things while getting a modest increase in hp, I'd be über happy!!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:43 PM   #13
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Well with FMIC, intake, CP/BOV and tune I should be pushing close to 350whp no?

I'm assuming that these mods will be about 70hp (figuring stock is about 280whp). I'd be happy with those numbers for a start.

After all, I just got the car and my main goal right now is to be as fuel efficient as it can be and a quicker response at the throttle hole eliminating the turbo lag if possible.
To be frank if I could do these two things while getting a modest increase in hp, I'd be über happy!!
Depending on the dyno(and assuming a ~280 baseline) 350whp is definately a reasonable goal for those mods. Keep in mind, torque is what makes these cars fun and(depending on tune) you should be well above 350rwtq.
And before you start ordering any parts, be sure to talk to Jeff@topgearsolutions
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2011, 08:46 PM   #14
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

+1 to Jeff buy the stuff of him
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #15
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
I assume then that Cobb is a self-tuner that comes with pre-written maps? I'd most likely be running a stock/ fuel-efficient map most if time time as my car is a DD, but I wanna be able to easily switch to power maps with the touch of a button
Mostly I wanna get better throttle response and eliminate turbo lag of at all possible with a nicely ironed out stock map with a good AFR
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #16
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

All the major tunes have the ability to let you run a stock map. The Procede for example let's you switch between them at the touch of a button.

If you are very worried about install, COBB is the easiest. But arguing about tunes on here leads to hurt feelings lol. So ask people privately through PM instead. Jeff is a good choice as he sells the three big ones.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
rader1
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brey335i View Post
All the major tunes have the ability to let you run a stock map. The Procede for example let's you switch between them at the touch of a button.

If you are very worried about install, COBB is the easiest. But arguing about tunes on here leads to hurt feelings lol. So ask people privately through PM instead. Jeff is a good choice as he sells the three big ones.
+1
People seem to have no problem saying "every tune has its benefits and shortcoming." However ,when you actually start to talk about what those benefits and shortcomings are, some people just turn into rage blinded fanbois. It's a shame really.
PM jeff.
Appreciate 0