E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Meth Kit?

12-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #1
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP e92 335i

Meth Kit?

So its pretty obvious that most of the cars on here that want big power go Meth or even Meth with bigger turbos, only problem is I find it hard to find out good information on it! Yeah I find a good post here and there when searching, but maybe we should make a Meth Sticky so that people who dont understand it fully can look into it and out way the options they have. For example I use to believe that meth is a no no, but after reading more and more about it seems to be a yes yes for this enigine. Due to its carbon build up and fuel issues. So maybe someone with a good amount of knowlege can post up a sticky maybe of the most FAQ's and give it a good run down. Just an Idea
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

What would you like to know?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 11:48 AM   #3
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

A few questions, like how does it spray is it always spraying or only when at WOT? Also how long does an average tank last? What happens if you run out and have no more meth? I read that people buy devils own meth is that the best option?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:08 PM   #4
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickkg37s View Post
A few questions, like how does it spray is it always spraying or only when at WOT? Also how long does an average tank last? What happens if you run out and have no more meth? I read that people buy devils own meth is that the best option?
I'll answer your questions but they are very broad and beaten to death on pretty much every car forum and platform.

A lot of your questions depends on the setup. Methanol has a large array of options as one kit isnt necessarily perfect for every setup.

A popular setup sprays methanol when it reaches a certain amount of PSI. With a progressive controller it can spray maybe 50% at X psi and 100 psi at Y psi.

A tank can last forever if you never exceed the boost required to spray. I would say a spirited driver can make it last 1 night or on average 2 weeks to a month. Although tanks vary in size from 3 quarts to 5 gallons or more. Not only that but certain setups can flow 500ml/min while other setups can flow 1500ml/min. So it all really depends, again.

If your tune requires meth and you run out you can potentially blow your engine. However, if you have the proper hardware setup known as fail safes then they protect you from running out of meth. They use flow sensors to read flow, and depending on your setup, they can reduce your boost, cut ignition, cut boost, ETC.

I wouldnt say devils own is the best or the worst but its a good kit in most respects.

You should use a methanol setup that your tuner recommends ideally as they have maps setup for methanol, failsafes that work with their tune, and hardware they recommend.

A devils own kit that is universal can work but it requires a little bit more knowledge then someone new to the scene.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:14 PM   #5
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Devils Own has been given the THUMBS DOWN by many of the experienced meth-heads here. Poor quality fittings that leak, etc.

Snow Performance is a well known, highly regarded meth company.

Depends on the system as to how/when it runs. Vishnu PWM meth integrated into the Procede box is Pulse-Width-Modulated meth output with a failsafe flow sensor. It uses the windshield washer tank, a custom-modified pump (newest generation), and is complete with all hardware/fittings/nozzles/wiring. Takes about 1-2 hours to install. The PWM pulses a valve rapidly on and off just like a fuel injector to meter the meth flowing into the charge pipe. My 335i is 100% stock except for the Procede V5 and PWM meth kit, and it rips! I really need to get it to a dyno.

Burger Tuning also has integrated meth in the JB4. Those systems are not PWM but PPS - variable speed pump to meter the meth flow. It doesn't spray well at low motor speeds. But for 90% of users, that is fine, since meth is most important at full boost/full throttle.

And you can also make your own boost-pressure activated meth injection using Snow Performance or others.

I chose Vishnu for the PWM meth (helps save meth at part throttle for track use), easy integration into the switchable maps, failsafe (defaults to Map 1 in case of no meth flow/out of meth) and ease of tuning and logging.
      12-19-2011, 12:31 PM   #6
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

KK thank you both for the information! I plan on maybe taken the plunge in the spring once I'm FBO. So this information deffinatly helped and Ill continue to keep searching until I fully understand it all the way. I guess I'm going to look into vishnu's kits due to the fact that I already have the procede v5 rev 3. So thank you again JamesM3M5 for also explaining that!
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Devils Own has been given the THUMBS DOWN by many of the experienced meth-heads here. Poor quality fittings that leak, etc.

Snow Performance is a well known, highly regarded meth company.

Depends on the system as to how/when it runs. Vishnu PWM meth integrated into the Procede box is Pulse-Width-Modulated meth output with a failsafe flow sensor. It uses the windshield washer tank, a custom-modified pump (newest generation), and is complete with all hardware/fittings/nozzles/wiring. Takes about 1-2 hours to install. The PWM pulses a valve rapidly on and off just like a fuel injector to meter the meth flowing into the charge pipe. My 335i is 100% stock except for the Procede V5 and PWM meth kit, and it rips! I really need to get it to a dyno.

Burger Tuning also has integrated meth in the JB4. Those systems are not PWM but PPS - variable speed pump to meter the meth flow. It doesn't spray well at low motor speeds. But for 90% of users, that is fine, since meth is most important at full boost/full throttle.

And you can also make your own boost-pressure activated meth injection using Snow Performance or others.

I chose Vishnu for the PWM meth (helps save meth at part throttle for track use), easy integration into the switchable maps, failsafe (defaults to Map 1 in case of no meth flow/out of meth) and ease of tuning and logging.
Quote:
KK thank you both for the information! I plan on maybe taken the plunge in the spring once I'm FBO. So this information deffinatly helped and Ill continue to keep searching until I fully understand it all the way. I guess I'm going to look into vishnu's kits due to the fact that I already have the procede v5 rev 3. So thank you again JamesM3M5 for also explaining that!
The vishnu PWM kit encompasses everything you need to install a kit and do it safely. So you wont need to guess on what nozzles to use, what settings to run and best of all it has instructions specific for our cars. Any other generic kit like devils own is a universal kit, which can work but requires a bit more knowledge and unerstanding.

We offer all the popular tunes and their methanol kits too so give us a shout if you are looking for anything.

I see that James mentioned that the devils own kit does have leaky fitting and this is true if you use their conventional fittings, especially on high meth concentrations.

I still have some devils own parts on my personal car however they have all been upgraded to metal fittings (the best) and working seamlessly, just for the record.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Laid Black 335i
BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i (6MT)

I wish Cobb had a map for Meth
      12-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laid Black 335i View Post
I wish Cobb had a map for Meth
They do. It's called Stage 2+ Race Map (alpha). Not public but people have it.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 01:07 PM   #10
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Aquamist compression fitting are the best out there hands down...If you go with even Snow the fittings are good since they are all metal, but they are still not better than Aquamist..I have Snow Performance parts, but will be switching slowly over to all Aquamist compression fitting in place of my push fittings.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 02:02 PM   #11
3-Serious
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

OK so when Im ready get the vishnu kit and then eventually replace the nozzels with metal? Is there any long term bad side effects from using meth? Also If I decide to stop using it eventually can I just keep the kit in the car and run another map. Then say I decide to go to the track one weekend just switch maps and fill her up?
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
OK so when Im ready get the vishnu kit and then eventually replace the nozzels with metal? Is there any long term bad side effects from using meth? Also If I decide to stop using it eventually can I just keep the kit in the car and run another map. Then say I decide to go to the track one weekend just switch maps and fill her up?
The vishnu kit comes with everything you need and the high end fittings already.
It is recommended to change your oil more often when using methanol. Every 5000 miles at a minimum. I actually never see people recommending this but I do to my customers and follow this same practice. Methanol can potentially ruin the integrity of oil although cases are rare.

You can change maps at will.

Last edited by Jeff@TopGearSolutions; 12-19-2011 at 04:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:32 PM   #13
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
should really only be positives from using meth if done right.

yes, you can switch to a non-meth map and then back to a meth map at will.
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:41 PM   #14
JBax
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
Methanol can potentially ruin the integrity of oil although cases are rare.
explain...doesn't the water burn up (turn to steam) in the cylinders ?
JB4, Alufelgen SF-71, DCI, VRSF DPs, Meth, AR Meth Elbow, AWE BOVs, Catless Exhaust, BMS OCC, ETS FMIC, ECS Strut Bar, ER Engine Cover, M Sport Steering Wheel Trim, LEDs, 20% Tint, Macht Schnell Spacers, ACS Roof Spoiler, ACS Pedals, ACS E-Brake Handle, Blacklines, M3 Steering Wheel w/DCT Paddles, Gunmetal Kidneys, Black Finisher Rods
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 04:59 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBax View Post
explain...doesn't the water burn up (turn to steam) in the cylinders ?
Not much to explain....me and many locals have been running meth for the better part of the decade and we all follow this same practice. However the concept derives from cars that run on meth/alky. Perhaps its overkill since we are meth injection and not running purely on alcohol but ill still change my oil every 5k regardless.

In theory the meth and water should not dilute the oil and turn it milky as long as everything is warmed up.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2011, 05:17 PM   #16
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

And the good thing about JB and Procede is that they have boost limits and meth dependent upon oil temp. I hate waiting for the oil to come up to 180F before boosting, especially since my drive to work is only 20 minutes long and it takes about 10-12 minutes for the oil to come up to high boost temps.

If you're concerned, you can pop your oil cap and check. The oil under the cap is the quickest to turn milky if there is a lot of moisture in the oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cn555ic View Post
Aquamist...
Aquamist - that was the other name I was looking for...

Last edited by JamesM3M5; 12-19-2011 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 0