E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine issues after BMW Performance Tune

12-21-2011, 12:52 PM   #1
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Mineral Grey M3

Engine issues after BMW Performance Tune

So I had the BMW performance tune installed on my 2010 335i about a month and a half ago. Everything was great for the first month or so, but two weeks ago I started having intermittent issues. I am going to do my best to explain them and hopefully get some insight. I am bringing my car into the dealership tomorrow, which is a huge pain because I will not have a loaner and need to drive 2 hours for Christmas.

I started the car in the morning, it was decently cold, in the low 40s. The car started with out and hesitation and once the RPMs dropped down to normal levels, the engine was struggling, RPMs dropping and then increasing back to normal. It felt like it was struggling to get gas, and was on the brink of stalling. I have an automatic, and when I dropped the car into reverse, it did stall and shut off. I waited a second and restarted the car. I finished backing out of the space and got the car into drive (I would normally NEVER drive the car after something like this, but I had 10 minutes to get to the airport before I would miss checking into my flight). When I made it to the first stop light I had to throw my car in neutral and rev the engine to keep it from stalling.

I had about a 2 minute drive on the highway to get to the airport. When getting up to speed the check engine light came on and the whole car was shaking left to right from the engines movement. After about 60 seconds the car suddenly felt normal and the check engine light went off. This was only after less than 5 minutes of starting the car. When I got back into town a few days later and started the car it felt fine. Thought something may have been blocking the flow of gas and it passed or it was a bad tank of gas.

Whenever ever I have a cold start the engine runs a bit roughly it seems, but not to this extent. This morning, a similar thing happened. The check engine light came on and the car shuttered while moving, but after 30 seconds of driving at 30 mph the light went off and the car felt fine. The interesting part was even when the check engine light was on, I did a systems check and it came back OK.

I have had ZERO issues with this car for the first two years of driving it, and this issue only came up after the tune was done by the dealership.

Any ideas of what this might be? Has anyone heard of this happening after the performance tune is installed?? Any feedback would be awesome, I would like to go into the service center tomorrow as informed as possible.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
i think it's a coincidence that you just had the performance tune installed. sounds like hpfp to me, but without the associated codes we can't be certain
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:43 PM   #3
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
+1 ^
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 01:49 PM   #4
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Sounds like the fuel pump is dying.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:09 PM   #5
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Check for codes.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 02:34 PM   #6
SouthfloridaE92
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 Black e92 335i 6MT

Same thing happened to me few days Ago I have a jb4 though, and it same symptoms of dying out on cold starts and rpms would drop below 500.. And if I went to rip it through gears it would shudder hard and cel or service light would come on and if I would try to accelerate it would shudder and feel like my engine is about to explode... I had codes for misfires, and fuel related issues aswell
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #7
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
i think it's a coincidence that you just had the performance tune installed. sounds like hpfp to me, but without the associated codes we can't be certain
What codes would you expect? I did a systems check and it said everything was OK.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:05 PM   #8
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Also, will driving do any damage to the engine?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Youngbp04 View Post
What codes would you expect? I did a systems check and it said everything was OK.
you need a BT tool or other hand held scanner that can read BMW codes. Sounds like the fuel pump is on its way out
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:00 PM   #10
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

It sounds like you have finally experienced a fuel pump failure...
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #11
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Yeah it is interesting because I just had it in for service and they did the recall. I had no issues with the first one for 20k miles and now after under 1k miles the replacement is flaking.

I am on my way to the dealership now to get it serviced. My SA is awesome and I told him I was driving home for XMas and needed it done beforehand and didn't care what they needed to do to make it happen. He said not to worry and he'll make sure I get a loaner.

People complain about BMW service, but I can't say enough about my SA he is a stand up guy willing to go the extra mile and knows his stuff! Mike @ BMW of Fairfax is the man!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2011, 04:23 PM   #12
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Yeah it is interesting because I just had it in for service and they did the recall. I had no issues with the first one for 20k miles and now after under 1k miles the replacement is flaking.

I am on my way to the dealership now to get it serviced. My SA is awesome and I told him I was driving home for XMas and needed it done beforehand and didn't care what they needed to do to make it happen. He said not to worry and he'll make sure I get a loaner.

People complain about BMW service, but I can't say enough about my SA he is a stand up guy willing to go the extra mile and knows his stuff! Mike @ BMW of Fairfax is the man!
Glad you're getting good service. We had to switch wholesale parts departments to BMW Fairfax because our other dealer in the area (I won't mention names, but it rhymes with BMW of Berling) didn't give a crap about us, even though we spent thousands a month on parts. Seems to be hit and miss at some dealerships, and others are great. It all depends on whether you get a good SA. Or maybe some deny warranty work or give you a hard time because they're close to their warranty work budget for the month?

Regardless, Merry Christmas!
      12-22-2011, 09:01 AM   #13
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Quote:

FYI, the recall is not a new upgraded hpfp. Its a reprogramming that primes the fuel pump when the cars are unlocked. You may have already had a weak pump and the extra power pushed weak pump to failure.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2011, 03:45 PM   #14
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hopefully it is all fixed just got the call today it was done. They replaced the fuel injectors as well so fingers crossed.

Also had the performance exhaust put on while it is in the shop gave me a stellar deal on labor! Almost half of what was initially quoted!
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2011, 08:00 AM   #15
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Hopefully it is all fixed just got the call today it was done. They replaced the fuel injectors as well so fingers crossed.

Also had the performance exhaust put on while it is in the shop gave me a stellar deal on labor! Almost half of what was initially quoted!
nice, PE is sick!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
Youngbp04
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkish335 View Post

nice, PE is sick!
Thanks man on the way to the dealership to pick it up now! Anyone want the stock exhaust???
Appreciate 0