E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Power Performance Kit 1 problems?

12-26-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
jrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: e90 335i & e46 325xi

Performance Power Kit 1 problems?

One week ago, I had a the PPK 1 installed on my 2007 335i. Since then, I have been busy with work, thus I havent had much time to open it up other than some stoplight to stoplight acceleration and passing fun. Yesterday, with unseasonably warm weather and Christmas Day open roads, it was the perfect opportunity to play. About 20 minutes into the fun, I decided it was time for a WOT merge onto the highway. 30 seconds later the engine starts to shake and the SES light turns on. Reading the forums, my immediate thought is HPFP, but the reduced power light/program has not kicked in. I have driven the car a few more times and the problem will not go away. The car starts right up (contrary to the usual long cranks associated with HPFP) but is really rough especially under load. Definitely some misfiring that will not go away either after an extended warmup or cool down.

The car has 38K miles. The HPFP was replaced proactively by the dealer when in for normal service a year or two ago. Spark plugs? They were replaced 1 month ago with plenty of spririted driving in advance of the PPK 1 upgrade. Fuel injectors? - There isnt any hint of gas smell. Coils? - Could they have suddenly gone bad?

Searching the forums, I have yet to see anyone describe any issues related to the PPK 1 or 2. Is this just coincidence with other known n54 issues?

Thankfully I have the BMW extended warranty and plan to take it back to the dealer tomorrow morning but they always seem to find issues that are not extended warranty covered. I hope that this is...

Last edited by jrbmw; 12-27-2011 at 08:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Possibility that some connectors are loose to the DME when they replaced it.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
jrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

I will check it out. Thanks for the suggestion. I will be sure to update once I have had a chance to drop it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #4
Jed
IN THE KNOW!!!!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 E36 325is; 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbmw View Post
About 20 minutes into the fun, I decided it was time for a WOT merge onto the highway. 30 seconds later the engine starts to shake and the SES light turns on. Reading the forums, my immediate thought is HPFP, but the reduced power light/program has not kicked in. I have driven the car a few more times and the problem will not go away. The car starts right up (contrary to the usual long cranks associated with HPFP) but is really rough especially under load. Definitely some misfiring that will not go away either after an extended warmup or cool down.
I had that issue and mine turned out to be carbon buildup (number 4 cylinder valve was sticking). I had the same things happen to me as you listed.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...6&postcount=37

Another possibility could be the low pressure fuel pump as well.

2007 Jet Black 335i Coupe: Saddle Brown interior | ZSP | ZCP | ZPP | iPod integration.
1994 Hellrot 325is: Sport Package | PSS9 Coilover | AutoThority chip | AutoThority CF Intake | UUC pullies | Dinan HiFlo Throttle Body | UUC StrutBarbarian | UUC Evo II SSK | BMW Motorsports X Brace | Rogue Engineering DMS exhaust | Kumho Ecsta V700 R Comps |
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
jrbmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Well I got my car fixed today. Dropped it off at 7:30am and by noon my SA called to let me know the work ,which was covered under BMW extended, was done.

For a change the HPFP was not to blame (I suspected as the car fired up immediately and the reduced power light never went on). The Fix: One new ignition coil and 6 new fuel injectors. Initially they changed out the cylinder #3 coil but after a test drive the SES came back on followed by the return of the rough idle. Apparently a injector related code then came up at which point they proceeded to change out all of the injectors. I am not sure why all needed to be changed but I am not one to argue. I still remain curious if the PPK tune was to blame, sheer coincidence or a little bit of both. Regardless I am happy that my dealership which is super busy was able to pull it off so quickly. I owe it to my kickass SA.

Now lets hope that this fix did it.

Last edited by jrbmw; 12-27-2011 at 08:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 02:02 PM   #6
335iN54
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I got my 335i in November, and had the PPK installed last week. Within days the steering angle sensor and variable valve timing servo had both failed. Both were fixed under warranty, but I can't help but wonder if it was a coincidence. Apparently the valve timing servo was already ailing, because suddenly the gas economy is way up, as is performance above that when the PPK was first installed. Hmmmmm...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #7
Jblaze4lif
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i Sedan

I have a 2008 BMW 335i and the service dept said my car could not get the power upgrade kit. Why is this? Is this bc I don't have the speedo increase upgrade? They checked with my vin number
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:11 AM   #8
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblaze4lif
I have a 2008 BMW 335i and the service dept said my car could not get the power upgrade kit. Why is this? Is this bc I don't have the speedo increase upgrade? They checked with my vin number
The speedo increase and the oil cooler probably. You need to have the sport package.

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:14 AM   #9
Blubaron79
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbmw
Well I got my car fixed today. Dropped it off at 7:30am and by noon my SA called to let me know the work ,which was covered under BMW extended, was done.

For a change the HPFP was not to blame (I suspected as the car fired up immediately and the reduced power light never went on). The Fix: One new ignition coil and 6 new fuel injectors. Initially they changed out the cylinder #3 coil but after a test drive the SES came back on followed by the return of the rough idle. Apparently a injector related code then came up at which point they proceeded to change out all of the injectors. I am not sure why all needed to be changed but I am not one to argue. I still remain curious if the PPK tune was to blame, sheer coincidence or a little bit of both. Regardless I am happy that my dealership which is super busy was able to pull it off so quickly. I owe it to my kickass SA.

Now lets hope that this fix did it.
I had 1 injector go a week before my PPK install. Then 45 days after the install I needed the other 5 replaced.. Could be a coincidence, but I had 1 go before the install, so who knows??

Previous: '18 340i xDrive; '15 335 xDrive; '14 435i xDrive; '09 335 E92 xDrive
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
gonelaxin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 ZCP

Sorry to ressurect an old topic, but i am new to the forum and cannot create my own posts yet. I wanted to get some advice from the board about an ongoing service issue with my e90 335xi MSD 81 and my dealers multiple failed attempts to load the ppk stage 1.
I dropped my car off on Friday to get an alignment, thrust arm bushings under warranty, and the PPK stage 1 done. I get a call on Friday night from the SA saying that the update failed and they would reload the software overnight. i had zero issue with this. Saturday comes and after my multiple calls i get through and find out that either BMW direct or the dealership had 1 VIN digit off and they loaded software for a 7 series?!? I'm ok with this level of incompetence, being as I can drive around my wifes new q5 3.0t s line. Monday comes and the update takes and I get a call saying we have a problem. The SA says on the road test the car is misfiring badly and they will have to try and reflash the car again. At this point, I'm ok with having no car as i live in the NYC area and take a train to work, but becoming increasingly concerned about what the service dept is doing. I take a half day and head to the dealership today, where they tell me the car now wont start and that they are having Germany tap into the car directly overnight tonight to try and manually force the update. The SM tells me that if it doesnt work, he will perform the normal repairs, flash the car back to stock, and set up an appointment down the line. So my questions here are 1. Should i be concerned about the misfire on the test drive and ask for new plugs at least? and 2. At what point do I go above the dealers head and contact BMW customer service? The dealer has been polite, prompt and given me a nice loaner. The shop foreman is a great guy and gave me a great deal on the kit. The issue seems to be with BMW or am I getting taken for a ride and they are trying to mask something the screwed up. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by gonelaxin; 04-16-2013 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 12:31 AM   #11
Maxspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

Maybe your first mistake was getting the PPK. Haha
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:34 PM   #12
gonelaxin
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 F83 ZCP

I appreciate the humor but could use some insight from the forum please. Car is still plugged in to Germany and there is no end in sight.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:38 PM   #13
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
Possibility that some connectors are loose to the DME when they replaced it.
You sure it isn't all the power the PPK pumps out? I mean 900hp is a lot
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
chiaobaby
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Looks like they messed up the DME software install if your car will not start now the DME is probably fried. I'm sure they will rectify their mistake. You should have purchased a COBB unit and program your own car . For 700.00 dollars you will get better horsepower and torque increase compare to BMW power pak.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 04:07 PM   #15
M5Rlz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: R8, f10m59(Rip), m4, GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiaobaby View Post
Looks like they messed up the DME software install if your car will not start now the DME is probably fried. I'm sure they will rectify their mistake. You should have purchased a COBB unit and program your own car . For 700.00 dollars you will get better horsepower and torque increase compare to BMW power pak.
To think I once considered the PPK cobb or jb4 are just on another world.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 05:31 PM   #16
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

I bought a PPK and they had issues flashing.
I bought a COBB and have had no issues flashing it myself.

Get a refund after they fix it. If they can't install the PPK, get a refund and buy a COBB.

The only advantage to the PPK is that you don't need to uninstall for dealer work if under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #17
Maxspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Coupe

I think your best bet is to get the issue fixed professionally if possible. Then go back to stock. And Buy a Cobb accessport or jb4.

I use Cobb and I love it!
Appreciate 0