F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Smart shopper advice for F30 shopping?
proTUNING Freaks

12-30-2011, 01:23 AM   #1
ben2e
Registered
Rep
Drives: Honda Odyssey

Smart shopper advice for F30 shopping?

Sorry if this is a verboten topic but can anyone tell their best method of shopping for price ? BMW's seem tougher than the typical make for bargaining. I'm on the West coast and it used to be that there were brokers who would get deals for you (for a small fee) through large dealers in L.A. The competition there was a bit higher and perhaps they had connections but I don't even see many web ads for auto brokers (at least for new BMW's).

I've used CarBargains which is basically a non-proffit that submits bid requests from dealers.

I just want to shop as efficiently as possible.

On a side note, how many folks buy extended warranties at purchase time ? My last BMW nearly bled me dry with repairs. I've never lost my love for driving them but they still look like a mixed bag when it comes to reliability. Is a warranty a good investment ?

Thanks and apologies in advance for the newbie questions.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:13 AM   #2
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 Lux 335i 6MT

Exclamation TRY THIS

jUST tell them that you are cross shopping ... hesitating between the F30 and the Cadillac ATS ...

who knows??? maybe you'll have a chance at saving 1 or 2 thousands off from MSRP ...

Otherwise i dont see bargained BMW F30s anytime soon ... you should b happy with MSRP
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #3
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben2e View Post
Sorry if this is a verboten topic but can anyone tell their best method of shopping for price ? BMW's seem tougher than the typical make for bargaining. I'm on the West coast and it used to be that there were brokers who would get deals for you (for a small fee) through large dealers in L.A. The competition there was a bit higher and perhaps they had connections but I don't even see many web ads for auto brokers (at least for new BMW's).

I've used CarBargains which is basically a non-proffit that submits bid requests from dealers.

I just want to shop as efficiently as possible.

On a side note, how many folks buy extended warranties at purchase time ? My last BMW nearly bled me dry with repairs. I've never lost my love for driving them but they still look like a mixed bag when it comes to reliability. Is a warranty a good investment ?

Thanks and apologies in advance for the newbie questions.
if you plan on keeping it more than 4 years you should def condier the extended to 6yr 100000
      12-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #4
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

is that what you did for your F30 during the negociation period?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #5
ben2e
Registered
Rep

How to even order a 2012 328i yet ?

The one dealer I spoke to said they weren't taking orders yet. Seems from this forum that some were able to place orders (although granted like you said, I'm sure they're not giving deals anytime soon).
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 02:20 PM   #6
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
The one dealer I spoke to said they weren't taking orders yet. Seems from this forum that some were able to place orders (although granted like you said, I'm sure they're not giving deals anytime soon).
yea, thats bs...my car is in paint right now and will be done jan 4th...call another dealer
      12-30-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
jgrasty
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i

Garage List
2012 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yes, many dealers are taking orders, including both BMW dealers in the Dallas area. Mine has shown up in "My BMW" though there's no production date yet (dealer estimates Jan 12 start).
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:22 PM   #8
ben2e
Registered
Rep

Found a dealer

Thanks, I did find one local dealer. I'll have to see about how to negotiate (or at least what to expect). He sounded like the door was open to a discount.

Annoying that some of the line item features are so costly. $2550 sounds like quite a bit for NAV. I wonder how trashy the post-purchase installs look. I know you can get dash kits but not sure if those are more minivan centric.

Surprising it doesn't come with power front seats but I see it's been talked about in other threads. Not much you can do about it.

I'm going to attempt to configure and buy one with as little as I can get away with. Maybe Comfort Access, Home Link (doors openers), parking assist ? Hopefully I can live without the rest. I've heard leatherette really lasts quite well (yeah, I know leather would be nicer..)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
justinnum1
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thanks, I did find one local dealer. I'll have to see about how to negotiate (or at least what to expect). He sounded like the door was open to a discount.

Annoying that some of the line item features are so costly. $2550 sounds like quite a bit for NAV. I wonder how trashy the post-purchase installs look. I know you can get dash kits but not sure if those are more minivan centric.

Surprising it doesn't come with power front seats but I see it's been talked about in other threads. Not much you can do about it.

I'm going to attempt to configure and buy one with as little as I can get away with. Maybe Comfort Access, Home Link (doors openers), parking assist ? Hopefully I can live without the rest. I've heard leatherette really lasts quite well (yeah, I know leather would be nicer..)
You get HUD too which is cool
      12-31-2011, 09:09 PM   #10
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
I've heard leatherette really lasts quite well (yeah, I know leather would be nicer..)
I've never liked leather in any car, especially BMW. Vinyl (leatherette) should be better; shame they don't off faux + fabric like in the EU...
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 08:50 PM   #11
DrivenByE30
Brigadier General
France
Rep

There is no such things as post-production/ post-purchase NAV on the F30.

either you take it now or not... but as standard you will get a 6.5 inch screen for your basic i-drive stuff.
Appreciate 0