E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Help...Vacuum lines stuck on the factory DVs

12-30-2011, 06:17 AM   #1
topspin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Help...Vacuum lines stuck on the factory DVs

I’m installing the Vishnu PWM meth kit but this issue that lots of folks have to deal with when installing diverter valves or a blow off valve.

I’m trying to remove the vacuum lines from the factory diverter valves. These are the two small hoses that connect to the top center of each diverter valve. They are supposed to simply pull away from the valve. I’ve tried a gentle tug and a great deal of force but the hose will not budge. After trying for quite a while I need to cool off and rethink my approach. I think if I use any more brute force I may break either the hose or the nipple on the DV.

The only path forward that I can think of is cutting the hose away from the DV nipple by cutting along the length of the portion of the hose over the nipple. I should then be able to peal the hose away. I’ll lose a small portion of the hose but it should be less than an inch.

Are these hoses available from local auto parts store if I screw it up or the cut hose is too short?

Is there an alternative approach?

I welcome any timely, on topic responses. I hope to finish the install today.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:35 AM   #2
Bash
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92-335i

Yeah real hassle, be careful u dont want to be breaking any nipples, they will come out eventually if you keep at it.
I suppose heating it might be easier but dont try to loosen it up by forcing it left to right you will break something.

COBB S2+ - Mr.5 CAI, Catless DP, Catless MP, AMS FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
topspin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Good idea. I would expect the hose expands more than the hard nipple. If that's true heat should loosen it up.

I've been looking for a reason to get a heat gun.

If anyone's tried this successfully let me know.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Brey335i
Banned
Rep
Drives: e46 ///M3

They should be able to come right off with medium force
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 07:32 AM   #5
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Use a scissor to cut it off and then use a razor to get it off the nipple. Cutting off about 2mm of the hose will do no harm but can save you from breaking something else
Appreciate 1
whyzee1251678.50
      12-30-2011, 08:52 AM   #6
._.
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

Use a razor to slice the hose on the nipple, it will then peel right off. Don't apply too much pressure on the cut, just enough to slice the hose.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #7
Lulz_M3
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335i 6MT

Use a pair of pliers to twist the vacuum line from side to side on the nipple (not off as this will possible tear the vacuum line), that typically loosens it enough for me to pull it off. If not just slice the vacuum line with a razor blade as others have mentioned and pull it off.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2011, 10:49 AM   #8
Ilma
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

^ This.......

You need to break the seal and twisting it with a pair of pliers or take a tiny blade screwdriver or a pin and gently work it underneath the perimiter of the hose.

Then try rolling the leading edge of the hose with your fingers and twisting at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2011, 12:13 PM   #9
topspin
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Smile Mission accomplised!

Hey guys, I got a heat gun from WalMart ($22), set it on the lowest setting and aimed it at the stuck connections. After heating them for a couple of minutes I was able to pull off the vacuum hoses with only a little force.

I've now finished the entire meth installation!

I was so aggravated when I first posted. In that state of mind things can go bad fast.

Thanks for all the advice guys. It was all quite helpful and on point.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 11:14 PM   #10
Xyruss
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 monaco blue 335i

Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i got my self in some trouble haha.

I used a screw driver and pryed from the bottom to slip the line off. worked great for the first DV but ended up breaking the nipple off the second (looks like I'm not going back to stock). so then after that, with the nipple stuck in the line, i tried using pliers to pull out the plastic. Well i ended up breaking the Y connection piece that goes from one line to two. does anyone have any suggestions? i shoulda just cut the lines. I'm going to try going to a hobby store to see if the have Y connectors that are similar. What is the purpose for these vacuum lines anyway? could someone enlighten me?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
I always recommend creating a small incision on the vacuum line with an razor or an Exacto knife. Then simply slide the vacuum line off the nipple and shorten it. After a few times of doing that, you just put new vacuum lines.

Simple, inexpensive and almost no risk of damaging anything.
      01-08-2014, 09:31 PM   #12
Hierlevelz
Captain
Rep
Drives: 11 AW E9X M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xyruss View Post
Sorry to bring back an old thread, but i got my self in some trouble haha.

I used a screw driver and pryed from the bottom to slip the line off. worked great for the first DV but ended up breaking the nipple off the second (looks like I'm not going back to stock). so then after that, with the nipple stuck in the line, i tried using pliers to pull out the plastic. Well i ended up breaking the Y connection piece that goes from one line to two. does anyone have any suggestions? i shoulda just cut the lines. I'm going to try going to a hobby store to see if the have Y connectors that are similar. What is the purpose for these vacuum lines anyway? could someone enlighten me?
Swing by the dealer and pick up another; P/N 13717577742.
Appreciate 0