E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Where can I go for FMIC questions?

01-01-2012, 02:47 PM   #1
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M8 Competition Coupe

Where can I go for FMIC questions?

I don't want to get scrutiny for posting in the wrong section again...I just want to ask about 335is mods...I have added dinan tuning, afe intake, er charge pipe/bov, and now I am looking into intercooler's and spoilers...can I post that on here?

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
the n54 engine/transmission/tune/exhaust modifications section is RICH with information on intercoolers. if you use the search button, you can find intercooler comparissons, pictures, info, etc. since i'm feeling nice, here's a few threads to get you started:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...tercooler+info

i run the ets 5" intercooler, it's a direct fit and prob one of the most popular on the forum due to price/performance. big tom (the 3rd link above) is a great option, if you don't mind a lot of diy work.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
vzehler
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

For best results you probably want to post your questions in the n55 turbo tuning section.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #4
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vzehler View Post
For best results you probably want to post your questions in the n55 turbo tuning section.
335is has n54
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
335is has n54
You read my mind...Thank you for the links.

Question for you....do you know the size of the stock fmic? Is the ets much bigger? I have heard some of the fmic's that don't require fitting are still pretty small and won't make a big difference for the cost.

I have heard Helix and Ets are best.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:18 PM   #6
bryce
Banned
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padfan9 View Post
You read my mind...Thank you for the links.

Question for you....do you know the size of the stock fmic? Is the ets much bigger? I have heard some of the fmic's that don't require fitting are still pretty small and won't make a big difference for the cost.

I have heard Helix and Ets are best.
anything is better than stock. ets intercooler is 5" deep, a little taller, etc. once you take out the stock intercooler, you'll see why everyone agrees that anything is better than stock.

i live in houston, tx. prob one of the most harsh environments for a turbo car in the us (heat + humidity). the ets intercooler has performed great for the summers that i've had it installed.

all intercoolers are pretty close to one another in performance. ets intercooler features a more dense number of charge air rows, so even though it's a little smaller than the helix, ams, or whatever, it still has the same if not more surface area for effective cooling.
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:32 PM   #7
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
anything is better than stock. ets intercooler is 5" deep, a little taller, etc. once you take out the stock intercooler, you'll see why everyone agrees that anything is better than stock.

i live in houston, tx. prob one of the most harsh environments for a turbo car in the us (heat + humidity). the ets intercooler has performed great for the summers that i've had it installed.

all intercoolers are pretty close to one another in performance. ets intercooler features a more dense number of charge air rows, so even though it's a little smaller than the helix, ams, or whatever, it still has the same if not more surface area for effective cooling.
Awesome, did you notice a big difference right away? Did you remove the stock little fence looking screen in front of it? I think it would look better with that off, but then its dangerous right?
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2012, 03:35 PM   #8
Padfan9
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Dinan's website sucks, they don't give enough info at all...the intercooler they sell is $1600 and has no front pics, sizes or anything, its ridiculous....I regret buying my dinan tuning merely based on their horrible customer service.
Appreciate 0