E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cat/Resonators Deletes...

01-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #1
6speed
>: )
Rep
Drives: 2012 e92 335is 6mt

Question Cat/Resonators Deletes...

Hey everyone,
so I've been enjoying my "IS" for about a month now. I couldn't help myself and succumbed to putting on a BMS DCI. I know they aren't very good at their job but they sound great and do make some difference performance-wise. They lasted about two weeks until I relapsed again and threw on AR cat less downpipes yesterday. All I can say is WHAT A DIFFERENCE. Not just in performance but raw sound. I love it. As of now, it sounds far different, deeper, and gets a nice, loud, raspy tone in the higher RPM's. Anyway it's been a day and my urges are back. I want my exhaust to be louder and pop/gurgle/backfire more. So I'm thinking, what can I do to my exhaust without getting a whole new system? What are your guys' opinion? I'm thinking should I take out the secondary cats with something like these?

http://www.supersprintna.com/product...arch_model/297

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/perf...haust/Midpipes

How about resonators? How would I go about those? Maybe both? What tips, advice, comments, suggestions, warnings, etc. do you guys have?

Last edited by 6speed; 01-04-2012 at 02:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 02:39 AM   #2
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

If im not mistaken, the e92's dont have resonators at all. Only the e90's come with resonators and Iam pretty sure your 335is is the same set up as the regular e92 just different muffler. If I was you I would take out the secondary cat because its pointless anyways meaning it doesnt have any sensors or anything like that and you will gain a pretty decent amount of power as well. Especially with your new AR downpipes you will definently see a bigger difference when the secondary cats are gone. You will also get that sound you want. If thats not enough, take the secondary cats off and put a loud muffler on the back or just run straight pipes. You will definently get that gurgle and more rasp if thats what your looking for. Different strokes for different folks.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
6speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
If im not mistaken, the e92's dont have resonators at all. Only the e90's come with resonators and Iam pretty sure your 335is is the same set up as the regular e92 just different muffler. If I was you I would take out the secondary cat because its pointless anyways meaning it doesnt have any sensors or anything like that and you will gain a pretty decent amount of power as well. Especially with your new AR downpipes you will definently see a bigger difference when the secondary cats are gone. You will also get that sound you want. If thats not enough, take the secondary cats off and put a loud muffler on the back or just run straight pipes. You will definently get that gurgle and more rasp if thats what your looking for. Different strokes for different folks.
wow thanks that was really helpful. i think I'm gonna go for those borla pipes i linked.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:08 PM   #4
badass1g
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

I would def remove those rear cats and see how you feel then. Also, why not just find someone that will cut out your old cats and weld straight pipe in? Would be a LOT less then the prices in those links. How much % louder did your car get from removing the front cats? How long was your install?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #5
J3NGOe90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6speed MT only!

get cyba tips, 3.8" or 4"
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2012, 01:40 PM   #6
6speed
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by badass1g View Post
I would def remove those rear cats and see how you feel then. Also, why not just find someone that will cut out your old cats and weld straight pipe in? Would be a LOT less then the prices in those links. How much % louder did your car get from removing the front cats? How long was your install?
i would but my car is a lease so i want everything i do to be reversible you know what i mean? so i don't want to modify the stock exhaust so when the time comes i can just swap everything back into place and sell the parts. as of now i don't plan on buying the car after the lease. and the install took them about 3 hours, but only 1.5 of actual work on my car so i guess 1.5-2 hours(they were busy that day so they had to split time). so yeah I'm gonna go for those borlas and I'm pretty much maxed out in that sense. the only thing i can do after that is either straight pipes or a new exhaust. the main reason I want to keep my exhaust is because 1. money 2. i love the way the 335is exhaust looks 3. i don't want to attract attention ( i know if my car is loud, but under conservative driving, the car doesn't attract too much attention)
Appreciate 0