E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > New Flywheel Option

01-06-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
New Flywheel Option

This thread seems to have gone un-noticed. i think it's pretty significant; this aftermarket flywheel weighs less, offers better performance, and only costs marginally more than an OEM unit.

it looks like you have to return your stock flywheel as a core, but overall a pretty decent deal! i'll be getting one on my next clutch job (just replaced stock w/ act recently).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626557
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

ADVAN makes quality stuff and that looks no different. When it comes time for me to swap clutchs im probably going with this offering.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 2012 Edition 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce View Post
This thread seems to have gone un-noticed. i think it's pretty significant; this aftermarket flywheel weighs less, offers better performance, and only costs marginally more than an OEM unit.

it looks like you have to return your stock flywheel as a core, but overall a pretty decent deal! i'll be getting one on my next clutch job (just replaced stock w/ act recently).

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626557
Hey mate,

thank you for the interest in our flywheel.

If we can obtain replacement OE ring gear from BMW, we will not require your original flywheel on an exchange basis.

Given that our "Single Mass Steel" flywheel is gaining some interest, I will chase this up with an OE spare parts supplier ASAP.

Alternatively we can have the ring gear machined into the flywheel itself.

If it proves to be more cost effective than having you US guys ship your original flywheel to Aus, we can certainly explore that option.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-06-2012 at 02:37 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 02:34 PM   #4
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
ADVAN makes quality stuff and that looks no different. When it comes time for me to swap clutchs im probably going with this offering.
Thank you for the kudos.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #5
rader1
Banned
Rep
Drives: Cobb Stage 2+ 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
Hey mate,

thank you for the interest in our flywheel.

If we can obtain replacement OE ring gear from BMW, we will not require your original flywheel on an exchange basis.

Given that our "Single Mass Steel" flywheel is gaining some interest, I will chase this up with an OE spare parts supplier ASAP.

Alternatively we can have the ring gear machined into the flywheel itself.

If it proves to be more cost effective than having you US guys ship your original flywheel to Aus, we can certainly explore that option.
Could you recommend a clutch/pressure plate that would work well with this flywheel in a car make around 390rwhp/420rwtq that is used as a daily driver with maybe 3-4 HPDE a year? I think the ACT street clutch would be well suited, but im always open to suggestions.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2012, 05:21 PM   #6
Joshboody
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: pickemuptruck

which models are 6 and 8 bolt... i think most 07-09 335s are 8 bolt right?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:31 PM   #7
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rader1 View Post
Could you recommend a clutch/pressure plate that would work well with this flywheel in a car make around 390rwhp/420rwtq that is used as a daily driver with maybe 3-4 HPDE a year? I think the ACT street clutch would be well suited, but im always open to suggestions.
Hey mate,

given your daily driven application and the amount of flywheel torque you are targeting, the ACT Street clutch kit is ideally suited.

It is well known that the ACT Street clutch is somewhat underrated.

We previoulsy ran that exact same clutch in our 135i R&D vehicle and it held up just fine, until we went drag racing with 275 Hoosiers on the rear.

However our little 1'er is making a lot more than the 440 ft-lbs of engine torque, the clutch is rated at.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-07-2012 at 07:45 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 07:44 PM   #8
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshboody View Post
which models are 6 and 8 bolt... i think most 07-09 335s are 8 bolt right?
Hmmm,

to be honest I am not entirely certain, however I believe you are correct regarding the early 3 Series N54's being "8 bolt" and I suspect all 1 Series N54's are "6 bolt".

FYI,

we still require a used "8 bolt" OE dual mass flywheel so we can knock up a "Single Mass Steel" version for you 335i guys.

Does anyone have one collecting dust?

Alternatively if one of you Gentlemen are considering our chromoly steel option.

We would be more than happy to compensate the fine Sir, that offers his early 3 Series flywheel up, to allow fabrication of the first "8 bolt" unit.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-07-2012 at 07:58 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

A little more food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186
Very interested in this... Any chance of a 7-8 kg lwfw offering? Hard to justify going aftermarket on the fw with only a 2.5 kg difference from stock.

Absolutely,

as you can see from my original post we already had this in mind.

Although if the demand is there, we would be more than happy to knock up a second version, that is truly "lightweight".

I suspect a second flywheel that is around the 7.5 kg mark, would be the ideal weight for all you guys that do not mind a little "chatter".

Of course given that it is made entirely from chromoly steel and it's nitrided, shaving a further 2.5 kg off its total mass, should not decrease its durability or strength.

After all it's not like it is made from aluminium.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-07-2012 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 01:13 PM   #10
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycat View Post
A little more food for thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPO186 View Post
Very interested in this... Any chance of a 7-8 kg lwfw offering? Hard to justify going aftermarket on the fw with only a 2.5 kg difference from stock.

Absolutely,

as you can see from my original post we already had this in mind.

Although if the demand is there, we would be more than happy to knock up a second version, that is truly "lightweight".

I suspect a second flywheel that is around the 7.5 kg mark, would be the ideal weight for all you guys that do not mind a little "chatter".

Of course given that it is made entirely from chromoly steel and it's nitrided, shaving a further 2.5 kg off its total mass, should not decrease its durability or strength.

After all it's not like it is made from aluminium.
Thanks... From the original post, I was of the understanding that there needed to be sufficient interest to begin manufacturing of the lighter flywheel.

So, would the 7.5 kg lwfw be done on a per customer request?
      01-08-2012, 09:17 PM   #11
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Thanks... From the original post, I was of the understanding that there needed to be sufficient interest to begin manufacturing of the lighter flywheel.

So, would the 7.5 kg lwfw be done on a per customer request?
Hey,

given that it is in our best interests to further promote our flywheels, we could produce a "lightweight" version for you.

We hope to have a "8 bolt" flywheel in our hands tomorrow, to use as a reference for machining.

Also for International customers we can also supply our flywheel to you, less the ring gear.

Whoever is going to do the flywheel swap for you guys, should not have any trouble in removing the ring gear from the OE dual mass unit and refitting it to our flywheel.

This procedure will save you the cost of shipping your OE flywheel to us and will also minimise the downtime on your vehicle.

However I will need to confirm whether or not we can hit a target weight of 7.5 kg.

Rosco of Ross Balancers who machined up our "6 bolt" unit is currently away for a few days.

He should be able to give us a quick yay or nay on the 7.5 kg goal, once he returns to work.

We will shave as much weight as we can, whilst being mindful to retain the durability and strength of the the original 10.0 kg unit.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-08-2012 at 09:21 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2012, 11:23 PM   #12
XPO186
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Sounds good! I can't wait to hear of the results. IIRC, the clutchmasters lwfw is 16 lbs (7.26kg) and is a machined billet aluminum piece. Hopefully, chromoly will a be a good match for the lwfw in this application.

Would it be possible to shoot a video of any clutch noise with the HPF clutch and the 10kg flywheel?
      01-09-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Firstly, I am of the opinion that the more choices we have (and with aftermarket flywheels there are not many to begin with), the better it is.

To summarise this new product, is it correct to say the following:
  • it is more resistant to high torque applications than the stock flywheel
  • it is lighter than the stock flywheel, but not as light as aluminium flywheels, therefor easier to use as a daily driver (less loss of momentum when going off the gas)
  • there is chatter when the clutch is not engaged
  • there can be some shuddering when engaging the clutch, but only very little (or none) when engaging the clutch very smoothly
  • there is noise from the transmission noise while driving

While personally I would still prefer the stock dual mass flywheel as it is completely noise free, I can see the appeal of this solution.

I also second the request for a video where we can hear the above mentioned noises for ourselves, if possible.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      01-09-2012, 04:00 PM   #14
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Sounds good! I can't wait to hear of the results. IIRC, the clutchmasters lwfw is 16 lbs (7.26kg) and is a machined billet aluminum piece. Hopefully, chromoly will a be a good match for the lwfw in this application.

Would it be possible to shoot a video of any clutch noise with the HPF clutch and the 10kg flywheel?
Hey mate,

I believe you are correct with regards the weight of the ClutchMasters lwfw.

IMHO,

if you are looking to go single mass over the OE dual mass unit for the purpose of both durability and weight saving, chromoly steel is a much better material to use than billet aluminium.

We can certainly shoot a video for you guys.

Ummm,

do you think HPF Chris would be available to do the camera work and "nice" narration.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-09-2012 at 04:13 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #15
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpina_B3_Lux View Post
Firstly, I am of the opinion that the more choices we have (and with aftermarket flywheels there are not many to begin with), the better it is.

To summarise this new product, is it correct to say the following:
  • it is more resistant to high torque applications than the stock flywheel
  • it is lighter than the stock flywheel, but not as light as aluminium flywheels, therefor easier to use as a daily driver (less loss of momentum when going off the gas)
  • there is chatter when the clutch is not engaged
  • there can be some shuddering when engaging the clutch, but only very little (or none) when engaging the clutch very smoothly
  • there is noise from the transmission noise while driving

While personally I would still prefer the stock dual mass flywheel as it is completely noise free, I can see the appeal of this solution.

I also second the request for a video where we can hear the above mentioned noises for ourselves, if possible.

Alpina_B3_Lux
That is a very concise and accurate summary,

thank you kindly.

I concur with your assessment of our N54 "Single Mass Steel" flywheel.

Your request for a vid is also noted.

Regards.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-09-2012 at 04:15 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2012, 08:37 PM   #16
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Hey guys,

I know this is a little off topic, but here is a quick vid of the ADVAN Performance 135i on the rollers, less than 4 hours ago.

I apologise for the image size,

the intent was to have the car visible in the background as the monitor was sitting atop the cooling fan.

However the lighting in the dyno cell did not permit.

Speaking of dynos I thought I should make it clear, that the pulls you see in the vid were done on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, NOT a Dynojet.

I believe the guys in the know would be aware that a DD dyno will read a "little" lower than a Dynojet.

We are just doing some final prep, for the first Wednesday night 1/4 mile meet here in Sydney, Australia following the Xmas/New Year's break.

FYI,

the vehicle you hear screaming in the background is a late 2009 N54 135i.

It is FBO, running RB turbos + 70/30 Meth' and a PROcede Rev 3 "tune", with tweaked 25-11 "aggressive maps".

As you can see it makes strong, consistent power on 98 RON fuel.

Not bad at all for what is currently available off the shelf.

Once we have finished preparing the car for tomorrow night, we will shoot a vid illustrating the "chatter" introduced by our flywheel.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-15-2012 at 06:57 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Hi guys,

unfortunately the weather prevented us from running our 135i on Wednesday night.

However I have not forgotten about your request for a vid, illustrating the level of "chatter" at idle, it is coming.

After speaking to Rosco of Ross Balancers, I can confirm that he can further reduce the weight of our flywheel, to achieve a target of 7.5 kg.

He can also machine the starter motor ring gear into the flywheel.

However the shaving of a further 2.5kg and the process of cutting the ring gear into the flywheel, will add $200 to the cost of the unit as a result of the additional CNC machining that is required.

We will now be offering two versions of our "Single Mass Steel" Flywheel.

- The original version will weigh 10 kg and will be supplied less the ring gear.

The 10 kg version is ideal for the daily driven vehicle that also sees 1/4 mile passes. It will be available for $995.00 Aus, excluding shipping.

- The second version will weigh in at 7.5 kg and the ring gear will be machined into the flywheel.

The NEW 7.5 kg version is perfect for the circuit racer, who is looking for maximum engine response. It will be available for $1,195.00 Aus, excluding shipping.

Lastly the supply locally of a used "8 bolt" flywheel fell through.

As such we are super keen to obtain a "8 bolt" unit from one of you guys in the US, so we can complete a sample unit ASAP.

If anyone has a damaged second hand unit that they no longer need, we would be more than happy to cover the shipping costs to Aus.

Alternatively if one of you 3 Series Gents are ready to move on either our 10 kg or 7.5 kg version, we could offer you a discount over the retail price in lieu of providing your flywheel to us and also being the first cab off the rank.

Cheers.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-13-2012 at 04:12 PM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:12 PM   #18
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

Bump, to the top!
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
Kiwi Peter
New Zealand
Rep

I thought I would copy and paste this post over from the 1Addicts Commercial Sales forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee
whats the benefit of not going aluminum? too late for me, because i already did. just curious.

From our experience a solid steel one piece unit is more durable over time under extreme driving conditions, such as drag racing or circuit racing.

Most of the aluminium LWFW on the market have a centre driven plate surface that is made of steel, but the insert is only fastened to the aluminium sub surface.

The aluminium and steel materials heat and contract at different rates, as a result the fasteners that secure the driven steel plate surface can become loose over time.

Also the thin steel surface is more susceptible to warping than a one piece steel flywheel, due to heat developed by clutch slippage.

As such you can have issues where the steel clutch plate surface is no longer true, this will adversely effect the clamping ability of the clutch friction plate and its longevity.

However for a car that is seldom "driven in anger", the lightweight aluminium options should be fine for street use.

Last edited by Kiwi Peter; 01-15-2012 at 07:19 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 05:54 AM   #20
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Another copy and paste from the 1Addicts Commercial Sales forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezeedee
i didnt upgrade my clutch to drive miss daisy.

the one thing i like about the removable friction surface is lower cost of replacement.

how many times do you think your flywheel would be able to be machined before replacement is necessary?

will your lighter flywheel (if you end up offering it) still have an integral friction surface? It might be my next flywheel

To be quite honest you could machine our flywheel more times than you would ever need to, how many clutches do you plan on going through?

As an example if you were to take 20 thou' or 0.5 mm off the flywheel driven face and top skirt every time you replaced a clutch, you could easily do that 4 or 5 times.

That is a lot of clutch kits.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 09:51 PM   #21
Justin@ADVAN Performance
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: N54 135i

Hey Gents,

I have managed to get my hands on a GoPro HD camera.

So the somewhat overdue "Single Mass Steel" flywheel vid illustrating the "chatter" present on idle, should be online tomorrow night.

Apologies for the delay guys,

cheers.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2012, 10:22 PM   #22
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
^nice.....looking toward to updates
Appreciate 0