E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > eBay buyers....planks!

01-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

eBay buyers....planks!

I sold the two Mini runflats on eBay last week (and got my £150 for the two...just ) and the guy finally came and collected them this week (from Essex...I maintained my collect-only on the description and only offered delivery to those that PM'd me )

Each tyre was listed separately, clearly described as one tyre on each listing and the same bidder won both of them. After finally turning up to collect them and pay for them cash, the guy first asked if my dad was in when I answered the door....Jesus, I look youngish but come on, those that know me....REALLY?? (lol when he asked if the Jag was mine!).

I then walked the guy into my garage at with point he looked at the tyres and said 'oh, only two of them....I thought I was buying two pairs'. I immediately got on the defensive as, by this time, he'd already taken over a week to collect them and I knew I had described the tyres accurately. We then get into a discussion about the confusion, the guy bringing his mate out of the car to back him up in the argument but eventually conceding that maybe he'd got it wrong. I basically told him if he didn't want them I couldn't force him to pay for them but I would be leaving him negative feedback for wasting my time.

Then we got onto what I think was the real plan...rather than waste both of our times, he suggested he'd pay me £100 for both tyres and that we'd both be happy. I flatly refused and said I won't be knocking anything off the price and if he wants them, it's the full £150 or nothing. He then inspected the tyres claiming there were nails in them to which I told him not to be so silly, walked him and his mate out of the garage, telling them I didn't 'need' to sell them and if he didn't think they were worth the full amount, he didn't have to buy them. He went to his car, I went back in the house.

Now, I was a bit arrogant and abrupt about the whole thing as I just thought it was a ploy to reduce the cost in an underhanded and in a way that some people may feel pressured.

Five minutes later, guess what? He was at my door with the full £150!

So, do you think this was an obvious attempt to reduce the cost and if so, my main reason for this thread is to understand if people REALLY do drop their pants at this stage and let things go for less than the agreed bid?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:53 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
well done for stickin to the agreed price...fuk them!....cheeky basterds...
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
actually, this is what i should have done aswell....went to the Universal tyre company in Staines today to get a full set of vreds ultra sessanta fitted.....price agreed on the phone was £130 .....(he said £135 at first, but then he gave me a discount of £5) ....when i went there....he saw the Beema, and then said....yeah, unfortunately, he can't give me the discount as manufacturers haven't discounted their wholesale price or some bullsh1t like that.....

I just couldn't be bothered to bargain or argue with him....was more concerned with watching those donkeys remove the tyres and putting the right tyres on the right wheels and balancing etc!....so, i said ok.....fine...

and i was desperate for the vreds....
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Yes it was definitely a ploy to pay less. Your quite within your rights to be angry.

You can't blame him for asking for "dad" because he wouldnt assume the old man car was yours LOL
      01-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #5
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Well done Palmnuts, These Ebays now are getting plain silly ,I used to think it was good fun having a search and getting a deal but now its just stupid wtf was these clowns thinking.

Last year I bought a set off 18" Bridgestone RFTs for the E90 for £220 but received a email on the day I was going to collect them saying he had undersold them and it was £300 collection with cash or forget it , we needed the tyres so just paid up and drove to Oxford they were like brand new and worth every penny off the money and I had sold the set coming off for £150 and didnt want to let the buyer down .

I guess more often than not the seller just lets them have them .

Ebay = Hassel
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
phil200tdi
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Leave negative feedback, f*ckers need to learn..
      01-14-2012, 06:37 AM   #7
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Right. My tuppence worth.

No, they are not arseholes though they may not be very nice people. That kind of negotiation obviously works quite a lot of the time so worth trying if you have the brass neck.

You probably do the same general thing when negotiating on new cars!

At the end of the day, cash is king, and the time to make your final play is when you are standing on the spot with the cash in your pocket.

Mind you, when someone is criticising or downplaying something they are there to buy, it is always a negotiating ploy (otherwise, why are they still interested.)
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #8
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I'd have done exactly the same mate but doubt I'd have got confused as not being a yoof with my hooligan wheels
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 06:57 AM   #9
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
But mate, they sold at auction for a price... That means no haggling after.
      01-14-2012, 07:09 AM   #10
Turbo Power
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
This is exactly what i'd be doing. These wankers need to be taught a lesson.
      01-14-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by amar7274 View Post
You cant leave a negative feedback for buyers which is shite in some ways when someone dont pay or contact you.
But on the other hand the tit for tat used to play a big part in when you left a negative feedback for someone they would retaliate with one in return and sometimes it wasnt deserved.
      01-14-2012, 07:54 AM   #12
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
More advice needed in my eBay thread please.
      01-14-2012, 08:19 AM   #13
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

It was aploy, had this myself, you agree a price and then on the day they try to knock you down. Well done for holding your ground, only £50 but £50 is £50.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
It was aploy, had this myself, you agree a price and then on the day they try to knock you down. Well done for holding your ground, only £50 but £50 is £50.
Andrew can buy a lot of Sanatogen and Horlicks for £50
      01-14-2012, 10:05 AM   #15
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
But isn't that different? When you're haggling prior to doing a deal, your offer hasn't been accepted. On Ebay, you have made your offer, it's been accepted and a contract exists.
The clowns Palmnuts encountered were in breach of contract.

On two occassions recently on Ebay, the seller has refused to sell to me, presumably because they didn't like the price. But there seems no way of actually enforcing the contract if the seller won't co-operate.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #16
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post
actually, this is what i should have done aswell....went to the Universal tyre company in Staines today to get a full set of vreds ultra sessanta fitted.....price agreed on the phone was £130 .....(he said £135 at first, but then he gave me a discount of £5) ....when i went there....he saw the Beema, and then said....yeah, unfortunately, he can't give me the discount as manufacturers haven't discounted their wholesale price or some bullsh1t like that.....
I'm getting riles just reading this...I'm sorry, I'd have walked on principle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
You can't blame him for asking for "dad" because he wouldnt assume the old man car was yours LOL
Cock My dads car is faster than yours

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooba0010 View Post
Last year I bought a set off 18" Bridgestone RFTs for the E90 for £220 but received a email on the day I was going to collect them saying he had undersold them and it was £300 collection with cash or forget it , we needed the tyres so just paid up and drove to Oxford they were like brand new and worth every penny off the money and I had sold the set coming off for £150 and didnt want to let the buyer down .
This riles me too...the final eBay price is the agreed contractual price surely??

Quote:
Originally Posted by phil200tdi View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by amar7274 View Post
I can't! But he didn't know that when I threatened it

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanQS View Post
I'm sorry Alan, I disagree....my view is that when negotiating, you haven't agreed on the final and contractual price. The bidding on eBay is the 'negotiating' part but, when a bid is the winning bid then that is the contractual price. Right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I'd have done exactly the same mate but doubt I'd have got confused as not being a yoof with my hooligan wheels
I'm sorry Roger but you have confused me with this post...are you saying you wouldn't have got confused as the buyer or me? If me, I can assure you I was definitely not confused

Quote:
But mate, they sold at auction for a price... That means no haggling after.
Just as I thought!

Quote:
More advice needed in my eBay thread please.
No, this thread is better

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
£50 was 1/3 of the selling price so in percentage terms, is huge!

Still, I was that annoyed that I wouldn't have budged a fiver...I wasn't that much in need of the £150

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed335d View Post
Andrew can buy a lot of Sanatogen and Horlicks for £50
Double Cock. In fact, use your extra cockness to shaft Carl with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
But isn't that different? When you're haggling prior to doing a deal, your offer hasn't been accepted. On Ebay, you have made your offer, it's been accepted and a contract exists.
The clowns Palmnuts encountered were in breach of contract.

Mike.
^^THIS^^ Exactly as I would have thought Mike!
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 04:29 PM   #17
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I'm sorry Roger but you have confused me with this post...are you saying you wouldn't have got confused as the buyer or me? If me, I can assure you I was definitely not confused
Sorry, I was typing it quickly whilst grabbing a sneaky pint having taken the little one for a walk to get him to sleep . I was meaning, they'd not have needed to ask if my Dad was around having clapped eyes on the Zed, it's not your usual family wagon, so assumed I was the young dickhead who owned it . Still doesn't seem to make sense so just ignore me .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 05:54 AM   #18
Cozy
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E82 135i

I dealt with one eBay seller that told me he wouldn't be sending the item out in the time frame stated in the advert as I should be grateful I won it for a good price. Seriously, you stick things on eBay knowing (if no reserve) it'll go for a price out of your control. Tw@t!

Anyway, as others have said this was just a ploy. A topic on another car forum I'm a member of had this happen on the sale of his car where they turned up with £1000 less than the eBay price they won it for and a take it or leave it attitude. Luckily the seller left it and within the hour they came back with the 'extra' £1000.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 06:41 AM   #19
MEGA
Dieseasal
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: LCI E92 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by zltm089 View Post

I just couldn't be bothered to bargain or argue with him....was more concerned with watching those donkeys remove the tyres and putting the right tyres on the right wheels and balancing etc!....so, i said ok.....fine...

and i was desperate for the vreds....
LOL 130 to fit and balance 4 tyres?

I hope it also included the blowjob and breakfast the next morning?
      01-17-2012, 07:33 PM   #20
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEGA View Post
LOL 130 to fit and balance 4 tyres?

I hope it also included the blowjob and breakfast the next morning?
£130 PER TYRE!!!!.....DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH......
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 04:09 AM   #21
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
What a w@nker. Well done for standing your ground
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #22
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I'm selling 10 guitars on ebay and have had all sorts of stupid questions.

9 without bids. Average of 20 watchers on each.. I'll be lucky if i get through half of them without the buyer backing out. Such a pita. If it wasn't for free listing (at any price) a couple of weekends ago i'd have done a buy it now to avoid all the nonsense!
Appreciate 0