E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Intermittent overheating - help!

01-16-2012, 07:46 PM   #1
Albany330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Intermittent overheating - help!

2006 330i.

Here is my issue. My car intermittently overheats

I would start my car in the morning and everything is fine... Not overheating and heater blowing hot air. Throughout the day, the car would will either run fine or overheat for the trip I'm on. I can start car and drive 50 miles without overheating and good cabin heat. Then park and turn car off for a minute...then restart and begin driving and cabin heat is gone and overheating starts...vicious cycle....The problem never starts while driving.... Only at start up..it will either run fine or would over heat.... I know its confusing.... Let me give you a run down of today.

Morning... Started car...ran great. No overheating and blowing hot heat in cabin. Drove 20 miles.

Afternoon.... Started car..... No heat in cabin and started overheating.... Brought car to mechanic and preasure tested (no leaks found) flushed and bled the system. ... Car runs fine after flush/bleed. Coolant level normal and not dropping at any point. Car running fine for entire afternoon as the mechanic is testing it. No overheating and hot heat in cabin. They called me to come pick up my car...

Picked car up from mechanic at 5pm... No cabin heat and overheating. Same problem.

It seems like the car is either going to overheat or run fine from start of ignition to turning car off. The overheating problem never happens when I'm driving and the car has good cabin heat. The problem only occurs From ignition. In a nut shell... If the car is running fine with good cabin heat, it will not overheat. It may happen when I start the car for my next commute

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Albany330i
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Fault found..... Water pump failed.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 11:16 AM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Might as well change thermostat too.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albany330i View Post
Fault found..... Water pump failed.
Extreamly common on '06 model year cars.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 0