E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > 335 fuel pump failure- am I the first in Australia?

05-28-2007, 06:10 AM   #1
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 SG 335i

335 fuel pump failure- am I the first in Australia?

Now I have my car back and have calmed down a little I'm curious to know if anyone else has had the same misfortune?

Here's something that I posted elsewhere. It started as my experiences with doncaster bmw when I took the car in with my fuel pump problems.

The sales guys seem to be good (my good experience was with Chris Hope- great guy, sold me my car and moved mountains to get me a replacement fuel pump for my 335 in a week when guys in the USA have been waiting upwards of 4 to 6 weeks for theirs).

BUT I have had nothing but frustration from the service department. First they tell me it's a software problem- it'll take a day to fix. Then they tell me to go home (with my faulty car) and come back in 3 WEEKS when they have a loan car available (when I have been reading on the main forum that some guys cars in the US died within a couple of days of the onset of symptoms). No warning not to go on long trips or anything.

It didn't take a day to fix...

They rang me late afternoon everyday to say the car still wasn't ready- but they wouldn't or couldn't tell me why. They treated me like some idiot saying "I'm not the one working on your car but it's a very complex car with complex electronics and we are doing all we can" etc, etc

On the 4 th day they call me and the first thing I say is "it's the fuel pump isn't it- it's faulty". I was right. "how long?" I ask. They didn't know. So I then call chris about a loan car equivalent to my 335 (because I expect to wait at least a month for the replacement and I am paying lease payments to them!). He tells me he'll speak to the service manager to try and tee something up. The weekend rolls over and the service guys call me monday to say that chris searched the world for a pump and found one in singapore and had it air freighted overnight. So I got the car back in just over a week.

As you can see, an experience with strong and mixed emotions.
      05-28-2007, 06:14 AM   #2
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Mine has been OK so far. Mind you, I am a little nervouse now.

Did yours die on the spot Doc?

Did the dealer say that yours was the first?

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 06:19 AM   #3
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Sorry CaptOz I forgot.

My symptoms began as slow starting (long cranking times) when the engine was cold. Then it developed rough running and once or twice went into "limp home mode"- 1/2 engine power (kind of like the 323i loan car I was given)

The problems lasted a total of 4 weeks but progressively worsened and became more frequent so I was lucky not to breakdown completely before then. The car never died, but I used to say a little prayer every morning for those 3 weeks because of the experinces I had read about from other owners in the US.

There are many posts on this topic in the main section so I suggest you check those for more info (they are quite comprehensive).

I am curious if any aussie 335 owners have had fuel pump problems?
      05-28-2007, 07:42 AM   #4
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

I think your the first, most fuel pumps don't fail immediately as you've been lucky enough to find out which is at least a +. Bit shit they didn't listen to you diagnose the problem though. My SA at Pennant Hills listens to me now as I've diagnosed faulty coils and a stuffed MAF in my M3 when the DME was registering a faulty pre cat 02 sensor.

Did BMW openly admit there was a problem locally with the fuel pumps? Or did they act stupid?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 09:10 AM   #5
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

They never admitted a problem with the fuel pump and I quote (it was so unforgettably pathetic!), "We are having continuing problems with the software that neccesitates a replacement of the fuel pump". I can only laugh at how they treated me like a fool DESPITE me putting a copy of one of their service bulletins under their noses (yes, I'd done my research) dated january 2007 describing my EXACT symptoms and fixes, when I dropped the car off.

http://www.bmwtis.com/tsb/bulletins/...p/B125506g.htm

That's the service bulletin if you're interested.

BMW service never admitted anything, but the bulletin shows that they know it's a worldwide problem but still no recall. And apparently, the fuel pump they put in was the same type/ design so it's another time bomb.

And I still haven't got a copy of the service record (they said it was complicated and they hadn't finished the document- almost 2 weeks and still waiting...)
      05-28-2007, 05:32 PM   #6
1q2w3e4r
Breakfast at Tiffany's
Rep
Drives: BMW

Good you did all the research before hand. It's frustrating when they aren't willing to listen though, hopefully you've proven a point and they will be more helpful in future.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 07:34 PM   #7
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

sorry to hear about the fuel pump

i was wondering the same thing, read so many US posts abt their issues, but i think u are the first from aust to have a failure

good work on the part of your sales guy though
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

the actions of the sales guy (his name is chris hope- excellent bloke and very helpful) saved doncaster bmw for me. Any more problems from them and I will probably go elsewhere. But not before I write a scathing letter to management of both doncaster bmw and bmw australia. Not to mention all my friends (trust me, many are either current or potential bmw owners and word of mouth can be very influential)

If you pay $100k + for a car, you should expect $100k service and respect.
      05-28-2007, 10:03 PM   #9
manyways
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M-Sport

have u ever thought of lodging a complaint via the BMW 1800 customer number? or asking for advice via them?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 01:36 AM   #10
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

It's funny. I spoke to the service manager at a larger BMW dealership today. He said he had not heard of the fuel pump issue.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2007, 05:46 AM   #11
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manyways View Post
have u ever thought of lodging a complaint via the BMW 1800 customer number? or asking for advice via them?
I've got my car back now so what's the point of getting put on hold and wasting my time complaining? If anything else happens, rest assured, I'll be on the war path...

05-29-2007, 05:50 AM   #12
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptOz View Post
It's funny. I spoke to the service manager at a larger BMW dealership today. He said he had not heard of the fuel pump issue.

Cheers.
That's because they know nothing about the 335 yet- they rely on service bulletins and probably don't read them until a problem arises. (Lucky that doctors and surgeons don't do that). Print him a copy of the document in the link I provided above, then ask him what he thinks?
      05-30-2007, 02:50 AM   #13
MR 335
Rep
Drives: E92 335

:mad: :mad: You might be the first but I think your not going to be the only one...lol
MY Week:
Picked up the car on Friday... car was everything I expected and more. Except that when going through the car with the dealer could not get the NAv to work.. Not worried yet... cause we were in the underground carpark, that’s what I was TOLD!!!!
Anyhow went home all excited tried the NAV on the way home but still didn’t work.
LONG story short rang up services dep. could not help till Monday... while playing with the nav over the weekend to get it to work... I would start the car so the battery is charged... mind you only playing for 5- 10 mins.. The car would take 3 or 4 click before it came on... This is worrying now....
Then the next day turned it on and nearly stalled and black smoke came out and sounded like a BOMB... I wanted to take the car back and throw it at em... but it was Sunday night…
NOW its been 3 days the outcome is the nav had new parts installed then the Dealership did not know how to reset the computer so that took another day for them to ring Germany with instructions on how... that’s fixed now. The fuel pump problem they called today saying as all who have had the problem.... "Where not sure yet of the problem yet..." its might be an AND YES A!!! "Software problem..." familiar Words.

IS this how BMW say thank you for buying and waiting 4 and half months for it.. Lets you take it for 2 days and then have it returned back for anther week or more For faults??? Unbelievable :mad: :mad:
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 04:45 AM   #14
docbeemer
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR 335 View Post
:mad: :mad: You might be the first but I think your not going to be the only one...lol
MY Week:
Picked up the car on Friday... car was everything I expected and more. Except that when going through the car with the dealer could not get the NAv to work.. Not worried yet... cause we were in the underground carpark, that’s what I was TOLD!!!!
Anyhow went home all excited tried the NAV on the way home but still didn’t work.
LONG story short rang up services dep. could not help till Monday... while playing with the nav over the weekend to get it to work... I would start the car so the battery is charged... mind you only playing for 5- 10 mins.. The car would take 3 or 4 click before it came on... This is worrying now....
Then the next day turned it on and nearly stalled and black smoke came out and sounded like a BOMB... I wanted to take the car back and throw it at em... but it was Sunday night…
NOW its been 3 days the outcome is the nav had new parts installed then the Dealership did not know how to reset the computer so that took another day for them to ring Germany with instructions on how... that’s fixed now. The fuel pump problem they called today saying as all who have had the problem.... "Where not sure yet of the problem yet..." its might be an AND YES A!!! "Software problem..." familiar Words.

IS this how BMW say thank you for buying and waiting 4 and half months for it.. Lets you take it for 2 days and then have it returned back for anther week or more For faults??? Unbelievable :mad: :mad:
I feel for you buddy. Sounds like your problems are worse than mine- at least I got 6000 kms of pure pleasure before my problems began. Funny how the BMW service guys are too proud to say that they don't know what the problem is (In my eyes, a little humility goes a long way).

Make sure you get a good loaner and my advice to you is to deal with your sales guy and NOT the service guys. They seem to be more interested in keeping you happy (they want to sell you another one in 3 or 4 years!) and thus try to get things done.

Good Luck....
      05-31-2007, 01:13 AM   #15
MR 335
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Thanks for replying I got a phone call today saying they found the problem... it is the fuel pump and they have one sent from Melbourne today should have car by the weekend.. Happy news. Worked fast to get one!!! Impressed. I think the secret is when ordering a BMW forget the middle guy go straight to the OWNER of the dealership that’s what we did......
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 02:44 AM   #16
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

I agree with Docbeemer that if a little more humility is shown, then it's a little easier to swollow. At the end, a car is made up of thousands of different components comming from multiple vendors. Something can go wrong anywhere. If they identify your issue, tell you what's being done and the time frame then most would be happy. Sure we wouldn't be too pleased to be in MR335 position with problems only days into ownership but even Bentleys have warrenty issues. Hope they get you going quickly and get you back out there enjoying your motoring.
Appreciate 0