BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-27-2012, 09:50 AM   #1
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Bolt-ons install

I've got a Helix Intercooler, Berk resonated midpipes and 3" Macht Schnell catless downpipes all awaiting install.

The plan is to install each piece individually over time. I'm doing this for a couple reasons. First, I want to be able to feel each piece to see what seat of the pants differences they make. Second, I want to be able to quickly isolate an issue should something come up.

This weekend I'm also going to change the oil and tranny fluid. I bought a package kit of BMW 10w-30 motor oil and filter from Tischer BMW online. They sell all for $69 shipped and it was the best deal I could find. Here's the link (its about the 8th one down)

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=4462&s iteid=214672&categoryID=138022

For tranny fluid I bought 2 bottles of Pentosin FFL3 which is what BMW uses in our tranny. It’s also the same stuff Porsche uses in some of their trannys. The best deal I found was here:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/30278-01104040.html

I am also going to install the Berk midpipes this weekend. I'll follow up with the FMIC in a few weeks then the DPs after that.

If anybody wants pics of anything under the car etc or is interested in something please let me know before tomorrow afternoon.

Honestly one of my biggest curiosities is how to get the car in the air. I already bought one of those hokey puck looking things for the floor jack. My plan is to jack from the front side jack point, install jack stand under rear jack point, repeat on other side. Then once the back is in the air jack from the front central point and get stands under the front left and right points. If I figure out a more elegant way to do all this I’ll report.

Should be a fun couple hours worth of work. I’m really looking forward to finally getting to do something on this car!!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #2
Franklin Joseph
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

dude u still havent installed the parts....hurry up...haha
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
momo style
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1m

Aren't U replacing the stock exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #4
robertm
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by momo style View Post
Aren't U replacing the stock exhaust?
Nah, I'm pretty happy with how it looks stock and nobody is making anything much lighter. Plus removing all the cats should give the car plenty of sound! I realize there's probably 10 or so hp there but for now I'm just going to leave stock.

I guess it just seems like a LOT of money for a small bump in power. If it was much lighter or made the car sound better or look better I'd be much more inclined. For now the next upgrade will be a good tuner to take advantage of all these bolt on upgrades
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 03:19 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
I've got a Helix Intercooler, Berk resonated midpipes and 3" Macht Schnell catless downpipes all awaiting install.

The plan is to install each piece individually over time. I'm doing this for a couple reasons. First, I want to be able to feel each piece to see what seat of the pants differences they make. Second, I want to be able to quickly isolate an issue should something come up.

This weekend I'm also going to change the oil and tranny fluid. I bought a package kit of BMW 10w-30 motor oil and filter from Tischer BMW online. They sell all for $69 shipped and it was the best deal I could find. Here's the link (its about the 8th one down)

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=AccessoryCatalog&catalogid=4462&s iteid=214672&categoryID=138022

For tranny fluid I bought 2 bottles of Pentosin FFL3 which is what BMW uses in our tranny. It’s also the same stuff Porsche uses in some of their trannys. The best deal I found was here:

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/WC/30278-01104040.html

I am also going to install the Berk midpipes this weekend. I'll follow up with the FMIC in a few weeks then the DPs after that.

If anybody wants pics of anything under the car etc or is interested in something please let me know before tomorrow afternoon.

Honestly one of my biggest curiosities is how to get the car in the air. I already bought one of those hokey puck looking things for the floor jack. My plan is to jack from the front side jack point, install jack stand under rear jack point, repeat on other side. Then once the back is in the air jack from the front central point and get stands under the front left and right points. If I figure out a more elegant way to do all this I’ll report.

Should be a fun couple hours worth of work. I’m really looking forward to finally getting to do something on this car!!
Subscribed. Please post your method for getting the car in the air when you figure it out. (I'm still learning from the collective knowledge and experience of the group.) Do you think jacking up under the front side jack point will get the rear jack point high enough (13") for an Esco jack stand?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #6
robertm
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Subscribed. Please post your method for getting the car in the air when you figure it out. (I'm still learning from the collective knowledge and experience of the group.) Do you think jacking up under the front side jack point will get the rear jack point high enough (13") for an Esco jack stand?
These cars are crazy stiff so jacking from the front jack point should get the rear up no problem. Not like the e30s or even e36s that had body flex.

Unfortunately I'm at work right now. Got called in for 10 hrs today. Story of my life and reason all this stuff hasn't been installed months ago. Off tomorrow but church and other things going on so now doubtful I'll be able to get the car in the air....Uhg.

Last edited by robertm; 01-28-2012 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
robertm
Major
Rep

Finally got a chance to work on the car this weekend. All was pretty straight forward. Jacking up the car was the one thing I wasn't sure how to accomplish. The method I mentioned above worked fine. Jack front left jack pad and installed stand on back left pad. Repeat right side. Then rolled floor jack from just behind front wheel to central jack point under the engine (it’s completely obvious where it's located). This got the front in the air and placed both front stands.

Oil change was straightforward. There's a little trap door in the engine under tray. I had installed a magnetic oil pan bolt at 1200 mi and was surprised to see at 5000 miles there was hardly any metallic on it. What was there was super fine. One thing to note, the oil filter housing doesn’t have a molded in nut on the top. So, you need a special wrench get the lid off the canister. Also, I had to remove the little flex tube going to the intake in order to turn the wrench. This part just snaps on and off though (very simple).

Tranny fluid change was even simpler, nothing to report at all. Well other than the somewhat large plastic piece that fell down when I dropped the tranny under-tray. Looking up the part number on the piece it turns out it’s the radiator lower bracket. I removed the engine under-tray to try and put this piece back but it’s buried up in there. I’m going to drop off at the dealer to have them put it back. No idea how long that piece has been dislodged…

Last I installed the Berk midpipe. This was really simple as well. Only thing of minor note is there’s a cone piece that fits on the back of the stock midpipe that creates a tight fit with the axle back. Make sure you remove this and install on the back of the Berk midpipe before reassembly. Also, there are header gaskets but it would be pretty hard to miss those.

So, all in all pretty straight forward. Was fun to finally get the car in the air and see some of the inner workings. What I was most imparted with was ‘holy crap there’s a lot of parts on this car’! I’m used to wrenching on race cars and I’ve forgotten just how much extraneous ‘stuff’ street cars contain. In typical BMW fashion though most everything makes sense and there is evident thought behind how and why things are put assembled they way the are.
Appreciate 0