E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A wee tip....

01-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

A wee tip....

Just had some twit in a jaaaaaaaaagggggg bump into the back of me at traffic lights on the way home from my sons football training. Just a 5 or 10 mph impact. Pitch dark outside so couldn't see very clearly but the rear diffuser (it was my Mrs' A4 I was in....she is pleased ) has detached on one side (clips broken I reckon) and one of the parking sensors has popped through the bumper.

The guy had just got his car back on Wed from his last bump....

He didn't have his insurance details on him so all I got was his details, the car reg and the name of his insurance company.

I, perhaps stupidly, said I would get my Audi garage to have a look first thing in the am and then give him the option of going through his insurance or just paying for the work to be done (given he has just had a claim on his policy).

Thoughts? It looks to me like not a lot of damage - it really was a low speed impact. Should I just notify the insurance company this evening and let them handle it?

Important thing is no-one was hurt and I had my 4 and 7 year olds and my sons best pal (i.e. someone elses 7 y/o). I hate the hassle though and I can't help but feel that even though it was completely the other guys fault, my wifes insurance WILL be impacted just by them being aware of the bump.

Annoyed.com
      01-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Legally you have to let them know.

The only way you will avoid telling them is if he pays out of his pocket and no insurance companies involved.

If it does go to insurance I'd give his insurance the chance to fix it first.

This would mean you will not have your excess to pay or be left waiting on the case being settled.

If he accepts blame and has a decent insurer it shouldn't be too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
Legally you have to let them know.

The only way you will avoid telling them is if he pays out of his pocket and no insurance companies involved.If it does go to insurance I'd give his insurance the chance to fix it first.

This would mean you will not have your excess to pay or be left waiting on the case being settled.

If he accepts blame and has a decent insurer it shouldn't be too bad.
Cheers Kerr.

The bit of your reply I highlighted is exactly what I was thinking. I thought if it can be fixed for a couple of hundred quid I would be happy enough to avoid going through insurance companies to give the guy a break (he has just had a claim and his excess is £250). Just wasn't sure if my generosity of spirit might bite me on the bum later if I have not notified insurance co.

Hate this stuff. Never had to notify insurance company of anything in all my years of driving so this is a first!

The exact same thing happened to me in my Scirocco but not a scratch despite the noise it made.