E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Stephen Hester...should he have received his bonus?

View Poll Results: Should Stephen have been entitled to his bonus?
Yes, well deserved and he should be paid it 20 50.00%
Its deserved but in the current climate he shouldn't be paid it 11 27.50%
No, not deserved so he shouldnt be paid it 9 22.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

01-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #1
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Stephen Hester...should he have received his bonus?

Simple enough...whats your opinion and why?

Its largely irrelevant now as pressure has forced him to give it up but I reckon that if he is performing and delivering results then yes, he should receive any bonus he'd be entitled to in his job (assuming the bonus was part of the package he took the job for) without being pressured to give it up. Reports indicate he is performing so why shouldn't he get it?

Last edited by Palmnuts; 01-29-2012 at 06:51 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:47 PM   #2
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

yes he should have got it, because if he delivered the results then he deserved it, however as a clearly very intelligent individual he should have realised the media and therefore the majority owners i.e. the public, would never have let him have it
      01-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #3
scooba0010
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F32 430D-MOTORSPORT

Yes ! if he reached his targets and by the article i watched on telly he clearly is doing over and above what is expected .Ok the share price has fallen by around a third ,What Bank hasn't due to the continued D&G around europe.

If you want to attract the best you have to pay for it . I bet he feels right stitched up
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
jonl1983
Lieutenant
Wales
Rep
Drives: F12 640d M Sport

Agreed. If he has met the criteria set out in his contract to achieve his bonus he should be paid it. No doubt he will get it at some point in the future.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #5
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
The crooked bankers helped get us into this mess but it's the good bankers that will help us get out; if he's earned it, pay it. It's usually the politicians that fuck things up so stop paying them instead.
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:49 AM   #6
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

Don't worry lads hell get it somehow and probably more..but of course if he has overachieved then a bonus is due.
      01-30-2012, 01:53 AM   #7
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F11 520 M Sport Touring

Dosent deserve this obscene amount of money. This isn't your average bank its basically owned by the public....we should decide what he gets.
The argument that he'll just jump ship? well let him he's only one individual and its not as thought there's plenty of jobs out there on his salary scale.
The sooner we cap the bonuses given to these idiots that got us into this mess the better and that's across the sector. I understand Hestor wasnt with rbs at the time of the mess but his time has hardly been roaring success.
Another thought the rbs share price has only went in one direction since hestor been captain of the ship....currently sitting at 28p!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:15 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

I don't think the problem is him getting his bonus, it's that it was agreed at an insane rate in the first place. If it was 50 grand, no one would be complaining.

Basically, the reason people are is probably at least 50% jealousy at the moment... He is part of the measures taken to fix this - so what was the point in some politician saying 'right of you fix the mess, you will get xx' and then when it comes to it, everyone forces him to turn it down.

It's bollocks - I just think it was too much to put up as a bonus in the first place!

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:17 AM   #9
Bungle009
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabroni80 View Post
Another thought the rbs share price has only went in one direction since hestor been captain of the ship....currently sitting at 28p!
Not exactly Hesters fault. Look at all the Banks share prices, they are all on the floor compared to where they were 3 years ago. The CEO's of the other Banks will all be sitting on very chunky bonus positions. Its widely considered that Hester has done a solid job. Whether you think its unfair, thats what he contracted for.

However in the current climate it was ridiculously naive to believe that he could take the bonus without massive public uproar.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:52 AM   #10
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve A View Post
Don't worry lads hell get it somehow and probably more..but of course if he has overachieved then a bonus is due.
+1, if he has done what was asked of him then yes.

This is just the start of the big bonus issue, April is a few months off yet. There will be a lot of 'behind closed doors deals' going on at the moment thats for sure.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:06 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

As people rightly say it is our asset at the moment so we should want to make sure we pay to get the best people to manage it on our behalf.

It's the politics of envy to say 'I don't get paid that much so neither should he blah blah'. These are very clever, educated people who excel in what they do, and their job market sets the rates.

Same as any normal job market, the better you are and the more sought after you become, the more you get paid.

The more niche the activity the better.

And it's a small bonus compared to the size of the bank. Who's going to want to run it now, when suitably qualified persons can get more elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Is this what it is going to be like every year?

If he performed well at his job he should have a performance bonus.

£1 million is a lot though but how many hours and millions of pounds has it cost the tax payer to pay all these MPs to debate it and make every tv programme to highlight it?

Too much focus has been put on this.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

So long as the 'public sector' banks don't pay they're bosses obscene bonuses I don't really care.

The minute rbs and loyds pay back they're bailouts to us the UK tax payers they can pay whatever obscene bonuses they want to they're fat cats.

Another point to remember it was this bonus/risk culture that allowed these highly skilled idiots to nearly sink our economy.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #14
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

In the current climate no banker should be paid a bonus. It's due to their greed the country as how it is. When we are back on an even keel pay the rewards.
      01-30-2012, 03:39 AM   #15
Steve A
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: too much

it wasnt the size of bank bonuses that caused the crisis is was started by the USA sub prime mortage mess that everyone took advantage of. If a banker has performed x and his bones is set out previous to his perfoermance then however much we like or dislike said bonus it has been earned.

a million quid bonus to these guys isn big beer, there are some fund managers that earn 20% profit on a fund so if it gone up a billion they earn 200 million!

the best can and do DESERVE anything they can get hold of. It wasnt Hester who fucked up RBS! His job is restrucre and make profit, this he is doing.
      01-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #16
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Quote:
Dosent deserve this obscene amount of money. This isn't your average bank its basically owned by the public....we should decide what he gets.
The argument that he'll just jump ship? well let him he's only one individual and its not as thought there's plenty of jobs out there on his salary scale.
The sooner we cap the bonuses given to these idiots that got us into this mess the better and that's across the sector. I understand Hestor wasnt with rbs at the time of the mess but his time has hardly been roaring success.
Delivery of large profits would mean he does deliver it.
We did essentially decide what he would be getting as the Govt had a say in who they appointed and at what rate.
They have allowed this and now are too scared to admit it!

I would rather pay a man a 1m pound bonus to run one of the most important companies in this country and maybe kids will aspire to be more educated and useful in society than give 1m to a couple of bottomfeeders to allow some magazine to take photos of their wedding!

The argument that he os one of the idiots that got us into this mess is stupid.
He was appointed to turn the bank around after it was bailed out.
(wonder why that doesn't feature in the headlines)

Oh and yes shareprice has gone down as did all the other banks in the world!
Not an indicator of performance just a show of the markets

Pay him the money and move on.

One thing is forgotten in all this is Antonio Horta Osario Chief of Lloyds waived his couple of million and gets no mention at all.
Oh how the press enjoy vilifying the rich at the moment.

I really believe the problem in this society is not the bankers and brokers getting large paychecks but the other idiots in the showbiz world getting as much or more. And obviously the 'youf' aspire to be the latter, which seemingly requires no education, skill or respect for yourself or others.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:43 AM   #17
335iLondon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 07' 335i Msport

Quote:
it wasnt the size of bank bonuses that caused the crisis is was started by the USA sub prime mortage mess that everyone took advantage of. If a banker has performed x and his bones is set out previous to his perfoermance then however much we like or dislike said bonus it has been earned.

a million quid bonus to these guys isn big beer, there are some fund managers that earn 20% profit on a fund so if it gone up a billion they earn 200 million!

the best can and do DESERVE anything they can get hold of. It wasnt Hester who fucked up RBS! His job is restrucre and make profit, this he is doing.
Agreed,
Additionally has anyone heard of contract law? You cant just take it away after agreeing to terms of employment for someone!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 03:50 AM   #18
jabroni80
First Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep

Quote:

Your not a banker are you Steve?

Irresponsible lending started the banking crisis who cares where it started the US or here. Giving someone a 125% mortgage when they clearly couldn't afford it just to make figures relating to performance bonuses look good.
Rbs exposed themselves to bad debit and needed us to bail them out. They haven't paid they're bailout back yet so we the tax payer will have a say on what bonuses these muppits get
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:45 AM   #19
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
Agreed,
Additionally has anyone heard of contract law? You cant just take it away after agreeing to terms of employment for someone!
Employment contracts aren't worth the paper they are written on unless you are a fat cat. How many people do you think agreed to their final salary pensions being withdrawn?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:48 AM   #20
Boyd1963
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2011 320d e92

Garage List
Sep 2011 E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iLondon View Post
One thing is forgotten in all this is Antonio Horta Osario Chief of Lloyds waived his couple of million and gets no mention at all.
Oh how the press enjoy vilifying the rich at the moment.

If I was off with stress I would lose my job never mind get awarded a bonus!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:42 AM   #21
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

The treasury will be £500K out of pocket if he does not get his bonus. Imagine how many imigrants that could feed and house.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 05:43 AM   #22
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
So long as the 'public sector' banks don't pay they're bosses obscene bonuses I don't really care. .
Its not obscene, its the market rate (and pretty poor it is on the overall scales for that industry)

If your saying its a public sector issue, what about Public Sector managers the country over that are overpaid already?

Councils the all over give us their bleeding heart sob stories about why they have to pay £100K+ for various dosey management rolls, to keep up with the private sector, or so they say.

Exceed the private sector in many cases more like.
Appreciate 0