E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Quick Test: Vorshlag "Streetable" Polyurethane Transmission Mounts

02-06-2012, 09:00 PM   #1
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quick Test: Vorshlag "Streetable" Polyurethane Transmission Mounts

Just a quick note about these mounts I installed tonight.

These are the Orange Polyurethane (80A on the Durometer) mounts; and they are the softest, "most streetable" tranny mounts they offer. However, they are still the bolt-through design as opposed to exclusive bolts/rods on each side. Overall install time is about 7 minutes; couldn't be easier.

Disclaimer: I have the CM Single Mass Lightweight flywheel/clutch, so that makes NVH severely amplified off the getgo. Because of this, the results of putting these on a stock DMF will be much more subtle.

The result of replacing both of the OEM Rubber mounts with the Vorshlag mounts: A bit too aggressive for the street. Quite so that it shakes the entire car at any speed above 30mph. In my opinion it was far too stiff for the street. I tried 3 different tightness levels; and they were all 3 too stiff.

Next, I tried putting in 1 of the OEM mounts paired with 1 Vorshlag mount (halfway tight). This seemed to be just the right answer for this car with a single mass light flywheel. The 1-2 shift is noticeably improved; but the biggest difference is the rev-match downshifting. No more notchiness or inconsistencies in that scenario. With this setup; the chatter of the LWFW is amplified dramatically; but that is to be expected.

I've ordered the Rogue Engineering mounts; which are softer and have exclusive-bolts. I"ll update this when I test those out

For now; this setup (1 of each) is very livable, and has very nice improvements in shifting and tightening up the whole drivetrain.

Here's the link to the Vorshlag mounts:
http://www.vorshlag.com/product_info...roducts_id=195

Here's the Rogue Engineering mounts:
http://www.rogueengineering.com/rogue/TM/TM.html

Vorshlag Mounts by MDM Enterprises, on Flickr
Cheers,

Last edited by BrianMN; 02-06-2012 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:21 AM   #2
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Great info! pity they dont have any motor mounts.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you choose to use aftermarket trans mounts, you MUST monitor them closely. I cannot tell you how many failed mounts we've trashed. The Rogue mounts with individual studs do not hold up for long. Injection molded rubber mounts are much tougher and take abuse better. I prefer the E46 M3 trans mounts from BMW or Corteco, very cheap, very strong.
      02-07-2012, 08:21 AM   #4
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

I've had the uuc black rubber tranny mounts on the car for about 3000km now and they dont make the car vibrate like poly ones would. Dont do poly mounts on a street car especially one with a single mass flywheel...i now run a dual mass fw with the hpf feramic clutch
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:13 PM   #5
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
If you choose to use aftermarket trans mounts, you MUST monitor them closely. I cannot tell you how many failed mounts we've trashed. The Rogue mounts with individual studs do not hold up for long. Injection molded rubber mounts are much tougher and take abuse better. I prefer the E46 M3 trans mounts from BMW or Corteco, very cheap, very strong.
Definitely..I've had this happen on a couple other cars as well...no fun at all.
(Especially when it happens many hours away from home)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
I've had the uuc black rubber tranny mounts on the car for about 3000km now and they dont make the car vibrate like poly ones would. Dont do poly mounts on a street car especially one with a single mass flywheel...i now run a dual mass fw with the hpf feramic clutch
Cool; I ordered a set of the UUC ones as well to try out. (If they end up being identical, I can pawn them off on a friend).

The shifting and especially rev-match downshifting is very very nice; so I'm thinking/hoping these can provide that without a lot of NVH.

I also ordered the 1M right side engine mount, and the M3 rear diff mounts; so we'll see how rigid that makes things .
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #6
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
They will soften up over time. They will harden in the cold months. They will crap out quickly.