BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Rogue Engineering BMW 1M Short Shift Kit

Rogue's BMW 1M SSK is designed from years of experience building BMW shifters, and addresses many unique shortcomings of the OEM shifting system that are often left ignored with more basic short shifter solutions. From the shift carrier on, Rogue has improved on BMW's own shifter design.

Rogue's modified BMW shift carrier raises the pivot point of the shifter, effectively raising the handle height without increasing the length of the throw for a more ergonomic solution. The carrier also perfectly centers the shift lever, giving the correct shifting geometry, ensuring a smooth feel. Delrin carrier bushings round out the carrier, and give the shift lever itself a stable base with no deflection, for added precision.

By relocating the shift lever's position up, the shifter is positioned closer to the steering wheel for a better, more ergonomic feel. A special selector rod also allows for better geometry and a properly aligned shift mechanism.

Weighted Shift Rod is included but not pictured.

For price and ordering information please visit:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645226
Attached Images

Last edited by HP Autosport; 02-26-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 09:03 AM   #2
Snertz
H O O N
United_States
Rep
Drives: ein M!

Nice! how much does this reduce the throws by?

U WOT M8?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 10:47 AM   #3
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snertz View Post
Nice! how much does this reduce the throws by?
Typcially in the 20% range.

It is possible to have too much of a good thing so more is not better.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m v/a

Can this be purchased in the uk and does it make a difference right or left hand drive? Also how easy is it to fit?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #5
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M / R53 / E91

Garage List
I'm confused by RE's phrasing. How does relocating the shifter up and to the rear move it closer to the wheel?
I have the snap-in 3rd cupholder and the knob is pretty close to the cupholder in 3rd and 5th. Will this SSK move the 3rd and 5th gear points any closer to the front?

Thanks

Vorsprung durch Gas Geben!!

172 of 740

Last edited by Drillslinger; 02-11-2012 at 04:28 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsmatt View Post
Can this be purchased in the uk and does it make a difference right or left hand drive? Also how easy is it to fit?
You can purchase this directly. We do ship worldwide. However, no RHD 1M has been test fitted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drillslinger View Post
I'm confused by your phrasing. How does relocating the shifter up and to the rear move it closer to the wheel?
I have the snap-in 3rd cupholder and the knob is pretty close to the cupholder in 3rd and 5th. Will this SSK move the 3rd and 5th gear points any closer to the front?

Thanks
Those were quotes from RE. Perhaps they meant to say closer to the driver.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:08 AM   #7
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Black 1 series M coupe

I installed mine last week, I didnt take any photos of the process, but it was a bit of work. I was glad I had the lift at work, and the instructions are a bit lacking. The opening paragraphs are confusing, and contradictory. The installation is straight forward, but some of the diagrams seem to be missing, and the "yellow arrow" is not on the selector rod to indicate which end goes forward.

The throw is SHORT and FIRM. the shift knob is moved forward, towards the dash. I would have preferred for the stock position, as I am short and have short arms, but it is not uncomfortable where it is at.

Reverse is my biggest complaint. you lose the positive detent that could be felt with the stock shifter. The side to side throw is so short that reverse is a bit more difficult to engage.

I need to order a new shift knob and boot, because mine broke while attempting to get it to seat on the shifter. The plastic ring at the base of the knob split, and tore the boot.

The knob did not want to grip, and when I get a new one I will have to find if it was a problem with my knob or the shifter.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:25 PM   #8
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGregg View Post
I installed mine last week, I didnt take any photos of the process, but it was a bit of work. I was glad I had the lift at work, and the instructions are a bit lacking. The opening paragraphs are confusing, and contradictory. The installation is straight forward, but some of the diagrams seem to be missing, and the "yellow arrow" is not on the selector rod to indicate which end goes forward.

The throw is SHORT and FIRM. the shift knob is moved forward, towards the dash. I would have preferred for the stock position, as I am short and have short arms, but it is not uncomfortable where it is at.

Reverse is my biggest complaint. you lose the positive detent that could be felt with the stock shifter. The side to side throw is so short that reverse is a bit more difficult to engage.

I need to order a new shift knob and boot, because mine broke while attempting to get it to seat on the shifter. The plastic ring at the base of the knob split, and tore the boot.

The knob did not want to grip, and when I get a new one I will have to find if it was a problem with my knob or the shifter.
Thanks for the review. Obvious question is was it worth it?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #9
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep

yes it is
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:04 PM   #10
momo style
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1m

Is it too far now from the original point? And also, is the shifter now higher or lower than the oem position
Looks like you are not too satisfied.....???
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:19 PM   #11
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Thx for the review Greg. A quick question as the description from Rogue sounded somewhat counterintuitive: shift lever is actually longer than stock, and the shifter itself is pushed towards the front of the car. You confirmed that latter that in your case is was more uncomfortable than stock, just wondering how much higher it sits relative to normal? I've had the Rogue SSK on other cars, very happy with it, but if anything, lever was A). shorter, and, B). the entire assembly was closer to the driver rather than the front of the car, a bit counter logical IMO.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:53 AM   #12
AzGregg
Enlisted Member
Rep

I dont feel that it sits much higher. For me, it could just sit a bit to the rear. I will try to take some measurements and photos tonight.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 09:05 AM   #13
azmurciev12
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzGregg View Post

this mod is sooo worth it. the shifts are much shorter and feels precise. i like it that the knob sits higher and closer to the dash. i'm a short guy as well but i think the location is much better.

anyway, i had a workshop install it. it was a breeze but my mechanic had to trim off a bit of metal from base so that reverse would engage better.

also, we had to trim/dremel off a bit of plastic from the seat of the shifter otherwise it just won't go in. i guess this is the problem AzGregg encountered as he tried to force the shiftknob to lock into the metal shifter. it just won't because the plastic base of the shiftknob hits the base of the metal shifter before the lock can engage. good thing we didn't force the issue. but all is well now.

hope Rogue can take notice of those 2 things that need to be addressed in future batches. the reverse gear position and the base of the metal shifter being too fat on top that the shiftknob won't lock to it.

otherwise, fantastic mod. should have come out of the factory this way. i don't understand why they don't.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #14
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Is this a beta version? I'm really surprised at the lack of fit and finish. Only one opportunity to make a first impression..
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 10:40 AM   #15
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

Theres no lack of fit and finish. The shifter is actually amazing, 4 gear is basically where neutral use to be. And 2 and 6 would be about equal but to the left and the right. Neutral looks like the car is in first or third but the shifts are nice short and notchy. So short and you can shift so fast. Also when the shifter gets a few throws on it it starts to feel oem like. Still like a knife threw butter but way shorter honestly for 395 one of the best mods you could buy
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 11:04 AM   #16
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertm View Post
Is this a beta version? I'm really surprised at the lack of fit and finish. Only one opportunity to make a first impression..
There were some prototypes floating around perhaps...

This is the production unit.

No issues with the units we have sold and installed.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:12 PM   #17
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
There were some prototypes floating around perhaps...

This is the production unit.

No issues with the units we have sold and installed.

Glad to hear. Rogue usually makes awesome shifters!
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 12:14 PM   #18
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Do any of you folks with this SSK have Nav and/or the "snap in" cupholder? With my std shifter my hand comes pretty close to this cupholder as is and I'm wondering if the Rogue SSK would result in bruised knuckles :-) (and my M is my DD so going without my morning cup of coffee is not an option, lol)

Thx

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #19
M///1rider
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 1M

No problems with the cupholder! And yea i also have nav no real problems.

Overall a great product
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 02:17 AM   #20
Drillslinger
Captain
Germany
Rep

Garage List
Great, that's all I was waiting for!

Thx

172 of 740
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #21
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep

Ordering and price info:

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645226
Appreciate 0