E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > 1/2 engine light with Procede v5 installed

02-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #1
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Garage List
1/2 engine light with Procede v5 installed

All,

First off I apologize in advance as I only spent a few minutes searching this topic which I'm sure has been answered on here somewhere but I don't have a lot of time to search today and I'd like to get my car looked at ASAP.

Bottom line: only perf. mod on my car is the procede. had 1/2 engine light come on with Procede v5 installed on map 1. After turning the car off and then leaving the gym 2 hours later the light was gone and the car seemed to be at full power. If I take the tune out and bring the car to the dealer, are they going to see the error codes?

What do you guys recommend?
      02-13-2012, 01:48 PM   #2
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
I recommend you leave the Procede in and use it to read the code

shiv
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:32 PM   #3
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I recommend you leave the Procede in and use it to read the code

shiv
Shiv, thanks for the response. I am a noob to tunes so I'm not sure how to do this. So I need to have my laptop hooked up to read the codes? Is this the most current tutorial?

02-13-2012, 02:38 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickem View Post
Shiv, thanks for the response. I am a noob to tunes so I'm not sure how to do this. So I need to have my laptop hooked up to read the codes? Is this the most current tutorial?

Correct. You will need your laptop to read the codes. For just clearing, no laptop is necessary.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct. You will need your laptop to read the codes. For just clearing, no laptop is necessary.
thank you!
      02-13-2012, 04:33 PM   #6
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

When installing procede, don't push pedal to the metal immediately. Give the ECU some time to adapt the new boost settings.

Try a few pulls without increasing boost (throttle 25%), then 3-4 pulls with 50-70% and then push the gas pedal until it reaches the engine bay. The DME will adopt to the new boost settings and you will have no half-engine light.

As Shiv said above, read the codes, clear them and try from the beginning.

Oh, it reminds me my very first day with V2 trying to get 100 km to adapt settings. This is not necessary of course nowadays, but give your DME some time to get used to it's new neighbor.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 06:41 PM   #7
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratos_335 View Post
When installing procede, don't push pedal to the metal immediately. Give the ECU some time to adapt the new boost settings.

Try a few pulls without increasing boost (throttle 25%), then 3-4 pulls with 50-70% and then push the gas pedal until it reaches the engine bay. The DME will adopt to the new boost settings and you will have no half-engine light.

As Shiv said above, read the codes, clear them and try from the beginning.

Oh, it reminds me my very first day with V2 trying to get 100 km to adapt settings. This is not necessary of course nowadays, but give your DME some time to get used to it's new neighbor.
Thank you for the advice. I really haven't pushed the car hard since I put v5 in (had v4 on the car previously). But good suggestions nonetheless.

Shiv, not too familiar with the software: Where do I get the screen with the list of codes...do you go to "data logging" and choose "view data log?" The only code I saw (to the right of the gauge display in the program) was 12140, which is the unplugged exhaust solenoid...I think in messing around with it I ended up clearing all the codes anyhow
      02-13-2012, 06:47 PM   #8
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thank you for the advice. I really haven't pushed the car hard since I put v5 in (had v4 on the car previously). But good suggestions nonetheless.

Shiv, not too familiar with the software: Where do I get the screen with the list of codes...do you go to "data logging" and choose "view data log?" The only code I saw (to the right of the gauge display in the program) was 12140, which is the unplugged exhaust solenoid...I think in messing around with it I ended up clearing all the codes anyhow
In the user software, one of the default datalog channels is "CAN DME Codes". When you execute a code read command (as shown in video), the codes will appear in that channel. If there is more than one, it will flash them in 2 second intervals. No need to datalog anything.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
In the user software, one of the default datalog channels is "CAN DME Codes". When you execute a code read command (as shown in video), the codes will appear in that channel. If there is more than one, it will flash them in 2 second intervals. No need to datalog anything.
Thanks, so it will just flash through them on that main dashboard to the right of the gauges? No need to change screens?
      02-13-2012, 07:04 PM   #10
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks, so it will just flash through them on that main dashboard to the right of the gauges? No need to change screens?
Correct
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #11
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Correct
Got it, you're the man!
      03-28-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
ok so just to follow up. on Monday morning on my way to work the 1/2 engine light came on again and then went away while driving (previous times it has stayed on until the car was restarted). tonight I followed the procedure for code reading with the PROcede to the letter and only see the code 12140 (exhaust fumeflap, input sensor) which I guess is just the fact that I have solenoid in the trunk unplugged for the exhaust. So I guess that means that my issue on Monday didn't throw a code?
      03-28-2012, 11:00 PM   #13
asado111
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Not much of car knowledge but it might be your cars turbo solenoids? I don't know exactly what they are called, but it can be 'overboost protection' if your tune allows you to bypass solenoid do that, if not then you may need to replace the solenoid. Mine did the same thing as well 1/2 power light and when I removed the solenoid it ran fine.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2012, 11:06 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
ok so just to follow up. on Monday morning on my way to work the 1/2 engine light came on again and then went away while driving (previous times it has stayed on until the car was restarted). tonight I followed the procedure for code reading with the PROcede to the letter and only see the code 12140 (exhaust fumeflap, input sensor) which I guess is just the fact that I have solenoid in the trunk unplugged for the exhaust. So I guess that means that my issue on Monday didn't throw a code?
Best bet would be to disable CANclear and see what other (if any) codes are you getting. Right now, it's tough because it is auto clearing before you have a chance to read it. I suspect it's a catalyst/emissions related code by the sound of it. But you'll need to read it to be sure.

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 06:02 AM   #15
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by asado111 View Post
Not much of car knowledge but it might be your cars turbo solenoids? I don't know exactly what they are called, but it can be 'overboost protection' if your tune allows you to bypass solenoid do that, if not then you may need to replace the solenoid. Mine did the same thing as well 1/2 power light and when I removed the solenoid it ran fine.
Thanks for your input. I mean I guess that's the issue is it could be a whole bunch of things...I'm scheduled to bring the car in tomorrow...I'm afraid they're just going to say, well we observed no issues during test drive and saw no codes from the OBD...we plugged you muffler solenoid back in...oh and the tech just raced an evo on rt 22 and lost...you're good to go! Lol. Im just getting nervous because my factory warranty is expiring in may...

Quote:
Best bet would be to disable CANclear and see what other (if any) codes are you getting. Right now, it's tough because it is auto clearing before you have a chance to read it. I suspect it's a catalyst/emissions related code by the sound of it. But you'll need to read it to be sure.Shiv
Thanks shiv. I pulled the procede out actually for my appt tomorrow...So just so I understand...you think the 1/2 engine error may have something to do with catalyst or emissions? That sounds better to me than the other issues that were running thru my head (vanos etc.)! I mean otherwise I feel like the car is running fine...I guess if it was that huge an issue it would be more constant? Thus error appears every 4-6 weeks...I'm wondering if taking it in is even a waste of time at this point...
      04-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #16
malignantseed
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm having similar issues. After reading the codes, I'm getting 10722 (Fuel injection rail, pressure sensor signal) and 10738 (no idea). My mods are the Vishnu DCI, PROcede rev3, ar catless dp's, and catback exhaust. I'm hoping this isn't something I'm gonna have to take to the dealer...not looking forward to that headache. Any help guys?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 01:32 AM   #17
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by malignantseed View Post
Not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm having similar issues. After reading the codes, I'm getting 10722 (Fuel injection rail, pressure sensor signal) and 10738 (no idea). My mods are the Vishnu DCI, PROcede rev3, ar catless dp's, and catback exhaust. I'm hoping this isn't something I'm gonna have to take to the dealer...not looking forward to that headache. Any help guys?
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...highlight=29F2

10738 is 29F2 code
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2012, 08:46 AM   #18
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I got the code for fuel pressure sensor during long highway pulls two times now. That's relatively simple and easy fix, just replace the HP rail sensor at the back of the rail. I've replaced them before on other 335s as well.

However the 29F2 code is a telltale that the HPFP may be going bad. If you have a warranty, turn CAN clear OFF, run the car until the fault occurs, remove the Procede, then take to a dealer for replacement of the HPFP and possibly the high pressure rail sender.
      04-17-2012, 08:59 AM   #19
sickem
Freude am fahren
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
If you have a warranty, turn CAN clear OFF, run the car until the fault occurs, remove the Procede, then take to a dealer for replacement of the HPFP and possibly the high pressure rail sender.
don't you want to be careful if you turn CAN clear off and then not clearing all codes before taking to a dealer WOT? Might be shadow codes for the PROcede, no? I'd hate to see someone get their warranty voided!
      04-17-2012, 11:50 AM   #20
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Aparently it's a know error with the current official Procede maps and a fix is in the works/beta stage. So I wouldn't replace hardware on your car yet but contact Shiv.
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:14 AM   #21
malignantseed
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Aparently it's a know error with the current official Procede maps and a fix is in the works/beta stage. So I wouldn't replace hardware on your car yet but contact Shiv.
Yep, Shiv got me squared away. He's the man!
Appreciate 0