E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > what are these other N54 engines?

02-14-2012, 03:35 PM   #1
maxmitchell
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi coupe

what are these other N54 engines?

According to all available literature, my N54 has an estimated 300hp, 300 lb*ft, but the BMW website and various other sites (Wikipedia) are talking about other N54B30 engines with slightly higher power figures (335hp, 370hp).
It appears as though some of the newer Z roadsters and maybe one of the 7-series appear to have these engines.

I am assuming these motors are the exact same hardware configuration as mine, but with a slightly different calibration. Can anyone confirm this?

It appears as though the bottle-neck on output for an N54 (my N54 anyway) is the LPFP or HPFP. Then I would guess either the DI injectors, or the turbos would be the next choke point in line. It would be great if these higher output N54s had parts that flow a little more and could be swapped over, but since the difference in power is so minute, I am guessing they just turn up the boost a tad, and therefore simply have the exact same hardware "ceiling" as my N54. With my JB4 I am probably around 370hp on my N54 right now anyway.

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
bryce
Banned
Rep
Drives: zhp 3-pedal

Garage List
335iS, 1 series M coupe, z4 s-drive are 330-335hp. very minor hardware changes, on the 335iS it's an additional radiator. the software is different, however.

it's still a gray area if the hpfp and lpfp are limiting factors. shiv's single turbo 335i is already over 500whp with very conservative tuning. the turbo's are definitely the limiting factor over 400whp though
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 04:00 PM   #3
maxmitchell
Rep
Drives: E92 335xi coupe

Interesting.
I have been away from this forum for a while, but last I was on, there was a discussion going on about why AFRs were climbing toward peak torque, and the theory was that the LPFP and/or HPFP were not able to keep up.

This was concerning JB4, so it could have been a software issue, and not an actual fuel hardware issue. I'll have to try and find the thread and see if they got to the bottom of this.

That is very good to know that the fuel system seems able to support 500hp and that the turbos are the choke. Especially since I work for a turbocharger company ;D

Too bad the engine bay packaging is a little unforgiving unless you plan on re-doing a LOT of stuff to make room. (especially with an xi like I have)
Appreciate 0