E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > N54 Stage 2 Tuning Packages!

02-15-2012, 05:03 PM   #1
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

N54 Stage 2 Tuning Packages!

Gents,

Few threads from me tonight.

A lot has moved on since my 135i so I'm probably out of the loop. I'm keen on purchasing a 335i in the near future and I'm wondering if anyone is logically packaging tuning parts together nowadays.

I COULD cobble all the bits together again, but tbh if I can get (for example) a decent price on down pipes, inter cooler and oil cooler all at once I will, then exhaust and map (or JB/Procede) seperatelt elsewhere id be happy.

Anything out there I might have missed?

Thanks
Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Cobb is the new kid on the block....
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 07:17 PM   #3
RaihaX
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 08' 135i

and a pretty awesome kid too

Though I would suggest you get a tune first before getting DP, unless that is what you are planning to do.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 02:44 AM   #4
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
- Downpipes: I would go with the AR Design ones, preferably catless and ceramic coated. They make the best fitting ones, in particular for RHD cars.

- Intercooler: Lots of choice, you can't go wrong that much (except with some chinese shit you find on ebay). ETS, Forge, Wagner, Evolution Racewerks, Helix, they're all far better than the stock unit.

- Oil cooler: For me Evolution Racewerks "Sports Series" is the best choice right now. Doubles the size of the stock oil cooler, easy to install, doesn't block the intake like the AR Design that goes in front of the radiator. Not too expensive either.

- Tune: JB4, PROcede as piggybacks are very evolved and have a huge userbase. If you prefer a remap, Evolve is certainly an excellent choice, or COBB - the latter maybe even more so, as they have a huge array of different maps that you can choose from, and you only have to pay once (and can sell the tune if you want to). GIAC is also very good, but more expensive, no flash-at-home and no resale value.

- Everything else: Before going all-out with the power I would first of all optimize the suspension. Good tires (Michelin Pilot Super Sport, non-RFT of course), limited slip differential, M3 suspension bits and a coilover. Ah yeah, and better brakes too if you can afford it.

My own preferences in case the budget is limited would probably be to go with a mild tune and no other hardware mods (COBB stage 1 for instance) and then put the rest of the money into the suspension. Quaife diff would be first on my list, then a few of the easy-to-install M3 pieces. Then on to more power with downpipes, intercooler and oil cooler if you really want to push it. Once you've got used to the car and its limits, coilover and brakes.

Just my 2c.

Alpina_B3_Lux

P.S. There are of course more stages to go (methanol injection, bigger turbos etc.) but I guess that wasn't really your question.
      02-20-2012, 04:11 AM   #5
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the reply!

You might remember I had a 135i before, so the main thing I was wondering was whether or not anything had changed and someone was now putting everything together to sell as a package.

I've actually found your garage the most useful thing as I've been reading through it and remembering the brand names etc of many of the parts you have fitted. I'd probably already decided on an ETS intercooler and AR Design DP's, but the most interesting thing about your post is the oil cooler bit.

This is where I know least (having never changed one on any car) and it was useful to read up about how you can upgrade the stock one, or fit a second one, or fit both as I think you have. I'd previously thought the AR Design one would be ok, but I might now change my mind and go with your suggestion because it certainly makes sense!

Do you think I could live with an upgraded core only for driving in the UK, or would I need a second cooler? I think my track days will be very rare, so was hoping just the bigger core would be fine.

As for the suspension and drivetrain - I've handled that seperately. I KNOW what I want there and you basically already know what I will go for so that's covered by Birds. The only problem is the price, which remains very high and on DCT cars the diff weighs in at £1800 without even considering the ARBS, Suspension, Bushes etc.

Also, regarding the mild tune option - I will probably buy a JuiceBox very soon, but the rest of the tuning hardware can wait, as will the diff etc.

Oh, about brakes - I have a plan for everything else - but not brakes. They seem to be hard to find for the E92 in a sensible price and without a lot of squeaking etc - have you any ideas?

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the reply!

You might remember I had a 135i before, so the main thing I was wondering was whether or not anything had changed and someone was now putting everything together to sell as a package.

I've actually found your garage the most useful thing as I've been reading through it and remembering the brand names etc of many of the parts you have fitted. I'd probably already decided on an ETS intercooler and AR Design DP's, but the most interesting thing about your post is the oil cooler bit.

This is where I know least (having never changed one on any car) and it was useful to read up about how you can upgrade the stock one, or fit a second one, or fit both as I think you have. I'd previously thought the AR Design one would be ok, but I might now change my mind and go with your suggestion because it certainly makes sense!

Do you think I could live with an upgraded core only for driving in the UK, or would I need a second cooler? I think my track days will be very rare, so was hoping just the bigger core would be fine.
Yes, definitely. Unless you track your car frequently in hot weather and go all-out on the tuning side, the upgraded stock core that Evolution Racewerks offers should definitely be sufficient.

Quote:
As for the suspension and drivetrain - I've handled that seperately. I KNOW what I want there and you basically already know what I will go for so that's covered by Birds. The only problem is the price, which remains very high and on DCT cars the diff weighs in at £1800 without even considering the ARBS, Suspension, Bushes etc.
That's an exellent choice in any case. Expensive yes, but worth it I think.

Quote:
Also, regarding the mild tune option - I will probably buy a JuiceBox very soon, but the rest of the tuning hardware can wait, as will the diff etc.
Forgot to ask this: Your new 335i will be a N54 engine right? Because for the mono-turbo successor N55 the tuning options are more limited, as is the engine's potential. JB4 has an excellent money for value in any case. Someone I know uses it in a 135i with bigger turbos and meth injection and has dynoed his car at 620hp (crank).
Quote:
Oh, about brakes - I have a plan for everything else - but not brakes. They seem to be hard to find for the E92 in a sensible price and without a lot of squeaking etc - have you any ideas?
I've had good experiences with just upgrading the brake pads with Cool Carbon ones. I still got a few lying around in my cellar if you want them, as now with the PFC BBK I no longer need them. It's that or a complete brake kit which even if you only do the front axle is indeed quite expensive.

Alpina_B3_Lux
      02-20-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks again Marcel,

Yes - I am lucky enough to have hopefully purchased a 2009 car which has the HDD based Sat Nav, DCT gearbox AND N54 engine - exactly what I have been waiting for. I can't wait to collect which will hopefully be tomorrow!!

I'd love to take some brake pads off your hands and I will obviously pay for them as well if you wish! Perhaps we can do this at the Ring in August if you know you will make it for at least some of the time I am there?

I'm planning to do a full ownership journal with this car - I think it is one I will keep for a while and I am genuinely excited about the research I have done, what I learned with the 135i and so on. Also with E92 modification now being well established, even if the Birds stuff is still expensive, everything else is MUCH cheaper than it was 18 months ago when I had the 135i!!

Good news on the oil cooler too - so with the AR Design one, is it the radiator bit that blocks the intake? How does the ER one differ? Both are core replacement kits I understand, but then with the ER one does it relocate the little radiator bit? OR am I going mad and thinking of something different altogether!

Regards
Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Matt, this is the ER one:

http://n54tuning.com/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=94

Mounts same place as the OEM one

And AR design version:

http://www.ardesign.info/store/bmw/e...t-stage-1.html

That is a second core which mounts behined the kidney grilles IIRC

Excellent plans BTW, I went around it the wrong way and neglected the suspension and drivetrain which I regret and will be sorting soonish. Good luck with the new car.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:14 AM   #9
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Great, thanks Idnan.

Any trouble getting them into Europe/UK do you know?

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #10
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I've ordered a fair few things from the USA for my car and I found that Mike@n54tuning.com was a great guy to deal with. He was willing to fill the customs form at my request and I wan't stung with fees. Postage on the ER oil cooler is $112 so in total it is a smidge over $950 with the shroud for a 335i.

I am actually expecting a large package from AR Design next week so will be able to comment about their service.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:34 AM   #11
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
Is there anywhere to get the racewerks oil cooler from in the UK?

This thread is a pertty good roundup of what to do and the order to do with your car without all the waffle but assuming you have some spare cash.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 06:47 AM   #12
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

As I had intended Nick

Although granted - noone selling an off the shelf package as such.

Thanks Idnan, will see what I can do.

Matt
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Thanks again Marcel,

Yes - I am lucky enough to have hopefully purchased a 2009 car which has the HDD based Sat Nav, DCT gearbox AND N54 engine - exactly what I have been waiting for. I can't wait to collect which will hopefully be tomorrow!!
Wow, you must be quite excited! Great combination in any case. At least as long as you keep the stock turbos, because I'm not sure the DTC would hold the torque from the bigger snails. Looking forward to your impressions - and also to see the car in real life of course!
Quote:
I'd love to take some brake pads off your hands and I will obviously pay for them as well if you wish! Perhaps we can do this at the Ring in August if you know you will make it for at least some of the time I am there?
I'm reasonably certain that I will participate at both track days, in June and August. I'll also be in the UK at the beginning of April (Dover) as an alternative. Or otherwise I can always send them to you, it's not a big package anyway. BTW if you want to I can also give you the EBC Turbo Groove discs I had on my car until recently, they're still in very good shape (dimpled + slotted). These would be a bit too heavy to send by post though.

Quote:
I'm planning to do a full ownership journal with this car - I think it is one I will keep for a while and I am genuinely excited about the research I have done, what I learned with the 135i and so on. Also with E92 modification now being well established, even if the Birds stuff is still expensive, everything else is MUCH cheaper than it was 18 months ago when I had the 135i!!

Good news on the oil cooler too - so with the AR Design one, is it the radiator bit that blocks the intake? How does the ER one differ? Both are core replacement kits I understand, but then with the ER one does it relocate the little radiator bit? OR am I going mad and thinking of something different altogether!
As others already explained, the AR Design is placed in front of the (water) radiator, whereas the ER one replaces the stock core that sits in the passenger wheel well.

Mike from N54tuning is great to deal with, I've ordered through him on several occasions and it always went really well. You should probably confirm RHD fitment for the radiator though, I don't know if that's an issue or not.

BTW, if you have the time, read through the mod link in my signature, there might be some other useful info for you in there as it describes almost all of my modifications (except a few of the latest of course).

Alpina_B3_Lux