E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > A questiona about the exhaust system!

02-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
kelvin2010
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, E82 1M

A questiona about the exhaust system!

Hey guys,

I have some questions when I am looking for a new exhaust system.
What do cat-back, axle-back mean?
Is there any other type of exhaust except these two?
Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #2
klepikovp
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Catback of from catalytic converter back to the tips. Axleback is pretty much just replacing the mufflers and will only improve sound. "Other" one is the full turboback which consists of downpipes + catback, therefore replacing the piping from the turbo all the way down to the tips.
Hope this helps a little
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:28 AM   #3
Thumperx
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335I coupe

x2
Name: Blanca | 07 E92 | AW-Blk | ZSP | Alcon BBK | M3 Bits | VM RR Links | Koni | UUC Sways | V5 | Dinan CAI | ETS IC | Fge DV | ER CP | Cyba | Raden. Exh | Mod Step | Trunk Drawer | Perf LED Wheel | Illum Dr Sills | IS Shifter | Parrot | Philps D1S | 6000k fog | MTECH RR | CSL Trunk | Aero | Roof Spoiler | PSS on BBS RS-GT 19s
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Well sort of so to speak. When your looking at prices on catback exhaust, they bolt up to your downpipes. On a stock car, it will improve power a little bit but its not that much. The primary cats in the N54's are VERY RESTRICTIVE and just adding a catback exhaust wont do much. What you need to do is get a set of catless downpipes (there is a TON out there) I have the AR catless downpipes and swear by them. Different downpipes range now days around $350-$1000, then work on the exhaust set up. Personally the "catback" exhaust systems dont make a HUGE difference even with catless downpipes. Infact alot of people just get catless downpipes, remove the secondary cats (cost me 120 bucks but it was done right), and run the factory exhaust piping and muffler. The factory muffler isnt all that bad and its a way cheaper way to go then a full catback exhaust system for the same results. You can change your tips to give it a good look (cyba tips) is what I have. This is by far the most cost efficient way to get a good sound and make the most power.

You dont even want to mess with a axle back exhaust... Its honestly a waste of money on our N54's. It might change the tone but its not going to make any real horsepower.

Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #5
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
You dont even want to mess with a axle back exhaust... Its honestly a waste of money on our N54's. It might change the tone but its not going to make any real horsepower.
If sound is all you want, it's not a waste of money.
      02-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #6
kelvin2010
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
Well sort of so to speak. When your looking at prices on catback exhaust, they bolt up to your downpipes. On a stock car, it will improve power a little bit but its not that much. The primary cats in the N54's are VERY RESTRICTIVE and just adding a catback exhaust wont do much. What you need to do is get a set of catless downpipes (there is a TON out there) I have the AR catless downpipes and swear by them. Different downpipes range now days around $350-$1000, then work on the exhaust set up. Personally the "catback" exhaust systems dont make a HUGE difference even with catless downpipes. Infact alot of people just get catless downpipes, remove the secondary cats (cost me 120 bucks but it was done right), and run the factory exhaust piping and muffler. The factory muffler isnt all that bad and its a way cheaper way to go then a full catback exhaust system for the same results. You can change your tips to give it a good look (cyba tips) is what I have. This is by far the most cost efficient way to get a good sound and make the most power.

Hope this helps!

Thanks! But I don't understand why get a catless downpipe and a set of cat back exhaust don't make huge difference??
I am looking for a set of BMW performance exhaust for E92, seems like it is axleback?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #7
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Catless dps will make noticeable power. Bwm performance exhaust is mainly just for sound. You're right, it's just an axle back exhaust. A cat back will replace the secondary pipes and remove the 2nd set of downpipes freeing up more horsepower.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #8
kelvin2010
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caliguy562 View Post
Catless dps will make noticeable power. Bwm performance exhaust is mainly just for sound. You're right, it's just an axle back exhaust. A cat back will replace the secondary pipes and remove the 2nd set of downpipes freeing up more horsepower.
If I really like the sound of BMW performance exhaust, what is the best way to do it?
AR downpipe+BMW performance exhaust??
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
caliguy562
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I have macht schell downpipes and BMW pe and love the combo. Just do the exhaust first and if it isn't loud enough for you, add the downpipes. Along with the power comes an increase in volume.
Appreciate 0