E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HELP! engine problem under hard acceleration

02-20-2012, 11:00 PM   #1
abhishriv
Major
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe (Space grey)

HELP! engine problem under hard acceleration

I don't know what happened with my engine, but its very strange. I was driving to a friends house a few hours ago and accelerated hard (not very hard, probably pressed the pedal 1/3 of the way down and got up to 4000rpm) next thing i know my yellow engine light comes on, the car exhaust sounds muffled, decreased power, and car shakes under acceleration, but while rolling its fine. I then decreased my speed and pulled into a side street, as I pull up, the engine light turns off and the car seems fine :S. I asked one of my friends who was near by to come and go for a spin with me, see if it happens again. the first 2 -3 mins of the drive the car felt normal and then did a moderate acceleration again to 4000rpm and the light comes on again and same problems, shaking, muffled exhaust noise, and decreased power. turned off the car and turned it on again and it was fine. I was able to drive back home but didn't accelerate hard. what could be the problem!? I'm guessing ill have to take it to the dealership and get them to scan it?
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
E92BA
FBO + e85 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

you're misfiring. very common among 335i users. my cars misfiring also right now. most likely spark plugs. go to stickies under this section & go to the official misfiring thread. it'll help a lot. what year is your car & have spark plugs been replaced lately ?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:00 AM   #3
abhishriv
Major
Rep

my car is a 2007 e92, i had the HPFP replaced last spring under the recall but i don't think the spark plugs have been done recently. I got the car certified preowned and they haven't been changed since i got the car about a year and half ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 12:13 AM   #4
abhishriv
Major
Rep

also as a note, my car is stock
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:11 AM   #5
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Since you're stock, no harm in taking it to the dealer to read the codes. As was mentioned, it's more than likely your plugs or coils. Either way, those are very quick fixes and will be covered under your CPO. (As would your injectors if they happen to be the culprit.)
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:55 AM   #6
abhishriv
Major
Rep

just took it to the dealership, and at first they were hesistant to take it in as i didnt have an "appointment" kept saying that it looks fine as no current lights are on the dash.. i told them to just scan it, they finally agreed and came back to me saying "oh you were right.. theres a misfire on a couple occasions in cylinder 5.. we'll have to check to see if its the coil/plug or something else". good thing is its covered under CPO, just waiting for them to come back to me, should i ask them to change out all the coils and plugs if i pay for the parts?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #7
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
just took it to the dealership, and at first they were hesistant to take it in as i didnt have an "appointment" kept saying that it looks fine as no current lights are on the dash.. i told them to just scan it, they finally agreed and came back to me saying "oh you were right.. theres a misfire on a couple occasions in cylinder 5.. we'll have to check to see if its the coil/plug or something else". good thing is its covered under CPO, just waiting for them to come back to me, should i ask them to change out all the coils and plugs if i pay for the parts?

Depending on your milage, they may replace all plugs regardless. I'm betting they'll move the coil from cylinder 5 to another cylinder to see if the misfire follows. If it does, there's the problem. If they do that and the misfire stays in cylinder 5, it's either the plug or the injector. One common way to see if it's the injector is to look at the plug, if it's wet then the injector is leaking. It isn't always the case, but that is one of the more common signs of a bad injector.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 11:28 AM   #8
abhishriv
Major
Rep

problem turned out to be a little more complex. they found that the charge pipe was leaking, so that needs to be replaced now, and then they will check again for the coils and plugs, although the plugs were changed about year and half ago, as were the turbos, and the HPFP last year. looks like the car will have to stay here overnight. but everything is covered in CPO
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
E92BA
FBO + e85 335i
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

be thankful that you have that warranty still cause I don't and any little problem is expensive. & if your car is stock then the spark plugs are probably still good. on a tuned car you should change them about every 25k miles or so. atleast they'll take care of everything for you.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:30 PM   #10
abhishriv
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92BA View Post
be thankful that you have that warranty still cause I don't and any little problem is expensive. & if your car is stock then the spark plugs are probably still good. on a tuned car you should change them about every 25k miles or so. atleast they'll take care of everything for you.
I was seriously considering getting a tune this summer, but if the stock charge pipe started leaking during stock boost.. wont this be a problem with increases boost from a tune? Should i look into an aftermarket chargepipe if im considering a tune?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 06:13 AM   #11
kskburak
Registered
Turkey
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe e92

Same Matter on mine

Have A nice day guys, I'm very new on forum and writing from TURKEY.

I have same warning sign on 335i 2007 e92 stock. I'm planning to give service and just wondering what is the problem on it? What they said for your problem at the end? Many thanks for your reply in advance.

Greetings From Istanbul...
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #12
abhishriv
Major
Rep

the problem on my car turned out to be a bad coil in the 5th cylinder, causing misfire, as well as a leaking charge pipe
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishriv View Post
the problem on my car turned out to be a bad coil in the 5th cylinder, causing misfire, as well as a leaking charge pipe
Both very easy fixes...now let it rip!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #14
abhishriv
Major
Rep

got the car back an hour ago. turns our they tested the coils and plugs and tried to create the misfire again but had no luck. so they left them for now and just changed out the charge pipe. the car feels fine now, i tested it out and did exactly what i did when the misfires happend couple nights ago and it had no problems. the throttle response is a little better and powerful but the exhaust isnt quite as loud as it used to be... dont know if the exhaust note would be related to the charge pipe but im planning on getting the BMW performance exhaust in the next couple months anyway.
Appreciate 0