E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Not another tuner war! I just want honest opinions please...

02-22-2012, 02:33 PM   #1
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E89 Z4 35i

Not another tuner war! I just want honest opinions please...

Ive tried two different tunes and I'm still undecided... so I'm looking for some opinions from people who have also tried more then one tune...

Here is my quick story...
So far I've tried the JB4 map 1 back when my car was stock. I got maybe two pulls in before it started misfiring all the time, so I installed all new spark plugs and moving coils around but continued getting a #3 misfire, so I removed the JB4 and took the car to the dealer, which they replaced the #3 injector under my used car warranty. When I got the car back, I bought and installed the Cobb AP and I ran stage 1 for a couple weeks before it started misfiring again! This time #4 was doing it. And since the used car warranty was up, I changed out the bad injector myself and I noticed that I only have the #5 & #6 injectors with the old part numbers left.. but and all was good and the car was running great again on Cobb Stage 1. Two weeks later, I finished installing all my mods (Stett CAI, Helix FMIC, ER charge pipe w/Tial BOV, and cat-less AR downpipes... and I continued to run stage 1 for a couple days which was pretty impressive now! So I loaded up their famous Stage 2+ FMIC map to give it a try, and needless to say, I'm not that impressed with it. Don't get me wrong, It runs great, but to me, it doesn't feel much faster then stage 1. And the boost feels like it flutters if you accelerate while only going part throttle. Full throttle is fine, but I still feel like I want more! So after a week of running Stage 2+FMIC, I decided to remove the Cobb AP and I reinstalled the JB4 to try it out again, because I remember how hard it pulled back when my car was stock (before it started misfiring anyway)... So with the JB4 I tried running map 5 and I got about two 3rd gear pulls in, and what do you know, it's MISFIRING AGAIN! This time its #6, which is still one of my old injectors...

But what I don't understand, is how can I run 18psi on Cobb Stage 2+ for a whole week, and as soon as I install the JB4 on map 5 running about 14-15psi, I get misfires almost instantly? And now even map 1 is doing it while going part throttle, and the SES light comes on. Then I have shut down the car and restart it, to get it running smooth again.

So... I guess I need to buy two more injectors to get them all up to current models... or could it just be the JB4?

But Anyway, now I'm thinking I want to try the Procede... which is what I wish I would have bought in the first place. I really like what Ive read about the Procede and how the meth kit works. I also would like to have the gauge hijacking again, I don't like how long it takes to switch maps on the Cobb, and I know I want to run meth, so....

Am I crazy or what?

What to do, what to do?
Thanks for any info guys!
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires

Last edited by Eracer76; 02-22-2012 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 02:35 PM   #2
BMWsky
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

I don't think you're crazy at all...I'm pretty much in the same boat as you.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
BES335xi
Colonel
Albania
Rep
Drives: FBO+ N54xi

Garage List
03/07 E90 335xi  [1.00]
I dont think this has nothing to do with tunes? Did you calibrate you're Injectors?
JB4+usb | P3 Vent Boost Gauge v2 | BMS OCC | BMS DCI | AMS FMIC | AR xi CL DP's | BT Tool | Edibias/NCSExpert/INPA BMW Coding | Cyba Quad Exhaust tips | M-Tech Rear & M3 Front Bumper | Red Cyba Air Scoops | Blacklines | Vinyl Overlays | ACS Roof Spoiler | Matte Black Grilles | LED Side Mirrors | Rear Euro Fogs | etc..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:05 PM   #4
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Nothing wrong with changing things up. But fix those misfire codes ASAP. They are hardware related and will act up on any tune. Also check out the bms WW meth kit. Integrates nicely with the JB4, makes tons of power, and is priced right.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:23 PM   #5
bigdaddycane
I even mod my cereal
Rep
Drives: 11 ZCP DCT M3 14 328d 21 GT4

Garage List
Quote:
I dont think this has nothing to do with tunes?
I agree....there's something wrong with your injectors or fuel system. Pick one of the tunes (you have now) and sort out the misfire issue 100% (with that tune). Then figure out if you want to go try the other (one you bought) or at that time get a Procede.

I really don't think the Procede will fix your problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I agree with everyone else

Buy a complete set of spark plugs, a complete set of coil packs install them and see if the misfires are gone.

If not then injectors are next.

Get it working on one tune completely, before trying it on another tune.

They all do the same thing (in general)
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #7
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
Also you should verify the injector coding at an independent shop that has the means to do this. You said you changed an injector yourself, did you code it properly ?
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BES335xi View Post
I dont think this has nothing to do with tunes? Did you calibrate you're Injectors?
Well, I think it may have a little to do with the tunes, in the way they go about tuning the engine. After all, I ran the Cobb Stage 2+FMIC for a week, and I did make a couple 3rd & 4th gear pulls with it right before I uninstalled the Cobb, and it ran great! Two hours later I ran the JB4 map 5, and map 1 and got nothing but misfires, even when only going part throttle.

I did not code the #4 injector yet, but I just ordered a cable to try self coding them... The spec numbers on the replacement injector were bigger in value then the old one, so theoretically it should run a littler richer for now, which is fine with me. And it did run just fine with no stumbles or misfires at all while running the Cobb Stage 1 or Stage 2+FMIC maps for a combined two week period. And its the #6 that is misfiring this time, which happens to be one of the two old injectors left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
Nothing wrong with changing things up. But fix those misfire codes ASAP. They are hardware related and will act up on any tune. Also check out the bms WW meth kit. Integrates nicely with the JB4, makes tons of power, and is priced right.

Mike
But, it didn't act up with the Cobb Stage 1, or the Stage 2+FMIC maps... and as soon as I installed the JB4, it started acting up again, even when only going part throttle.
And I already bought the BMS WW meth kit from you, I just haven't installed it yet because I can't even get map 1 to work without misfiring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90SoFlo View Post
I agree with everyone else

Buy a complete set of spark plugs, a complete set of coil packs install them and see if the misfires are gone.

If not then injectors are next.

Get it working on one tune completely, before trying it on another tune.

They all do the same thing (in general)
Like I said in the first post, I did replace the plugs about 1k miles ago, and tried switching coils around and the misfires didn't move... so I'm almost positive its the injectors again, since the one misfiring just so happens to be one of two old injectors left.
2009 Z4 35i 6mt, SpeedTech 6266 Gen2 turbo kit, Tial WG, VRSF 7.5 race IC, ER charge pipe, Tial BOV, Radium Fuel cell w/ surge tank and twin Walbro 525 pumps, Radium FPR and return line, Bluetooth ethanol sensor, Phoenix intake manifold w/PI, JB4 tuner, PR coil packs, Custom oil cooler, ECS Radiator, Spec 3+clutch, Mfactory flywheel, single 3.5" into dual 3" exhaust, H&R springs, 19" TSW wheels, 235/19 & 275/19 RE11 tires
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

It's with 99% certainty your old injector are the problem.... As far as tunes go I'm a phone call away if you have any questions.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:06 PM   #10
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer76 View Post
Well, I think it may have a little to do with the tunes, in the way they go about tuning the engine. After all, I ran the Cobb Stage 2+FMIC for a week, and I did make a couple 3rd & 4th gear pulls with it right before I uninstalled the Cobb, and it ran great! Two hours later I ran the JB4 map 5, and map 1 and got nothing but misfires, even when only going part throttle.

I did not code the #4 injector yet, but I just ordered a cable to try self coding them... The spec numbers on the replacement injector were bigger in value then the old one, so theoretically it should run a littler richer for now, which is fine with me. And it did run just fine with no stumbles or misfires at all while running the Cobb Stage 1 or Stage 2+FMIC maps for a combined two week period. And its the #6 that is misfiring this time, which happens to be one of the two old injectors left.

But, it didn't act up with the Cobb Stage 1, or the Stage 2+FMIC maps... and as soon as I installed the JB4, it started acting up again, even when only going part throttle.
And I already bought the BMS WW meth kit from you, I just haven't installed it yet because I can't even get map 1 to work without misfiring.

Like I said in the first post, I did replace the plugs about 1k miles ago, and tried switching coils around and the misfires didn't move... so I'm almost positive its the injectors again, since the one misfiring just so happens to be one of two old injectors left.
While the JB4 is on drop BMS a note with a CSV log and maybe they'll have some advice for you. All the tunes work the injectors the same amount though.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:21 PM   #11
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Stop blaming it on the tunes, You have a problem with fueling components.

Always remember, if you have a hardware problem a tune will only magnify it not cause it.

You should have replaced everything at one time. Not replaced 1 or the other.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 07:46 PM   #12
Eracer76
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
Stop blaming it on the tunes, You have a problem with fueling components.

Always remember, if you have a hardware problem a tune will only magnify it not cause it.

You should have replaced everything at one time. Not replaced 1 or the other.
I can see how you think I'm blaming tunes, but I'm really not trying to blame anyone. Im just trying to understand, how is it that I can run the Cobb Stage 2+FMIC with 18psi and not have any problems, and then two hours later I install the JB4 and immediately start getting misfires again, even when only going part throttle? Do you really think its a coincidence? Or does the JB4 really run that much more timing and or fuel that puts more strain on the injectors and causes misfires?

I know I probably should have bought 3 injectors, but I didn't realize that I still had 3 "old" injector part numbers in there until I installed the new one myself... And at $100 a pop, I was hoping the "don't fix it, if it isn't broken" theory would have applied... just wishful thinking I guess

Last edited by Eracer76; 02-22-2012 at 07:52 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #13
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eracer76 View Post
I can see how you think I'm blaming tunes, but I'm really not trying to blame anyone. Im just trying to understand, how is it that I can run the Cobb Stage 2+FMIC with 18psi and not have any problems, and then two hours later I install the JB4 and immediately start getting misfires again, even when only going part throttle? Do you really think its a coincidence? Or does the JB4 really run that much more timing and or fuel that puts more strain on the injectors and causes misfires?

I know I probably should have bought 3 injectors, but I didn't realize that I still had 3 "old" injector part numbers in there until I installed the new one myself... And at $100 a pop, I was hoping the "don't fix it, if it isn't broken" theory would have applied... just wishful thinking I guess

I went through the same thing until i replaced all injectors and all sparks plugs. Once i did that i ran 18psi and meth for 1 year problem free with my JB4.

Think whatever you like to think but you have experienced members with all different tunes telling you the same thing... " a tune will just magnify an existing problem"

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:09 PM   #14
TheStig
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alot of everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon335iFL View Post
I went through the same thing until i replaced all injectors and all sparks plugs. Once i did that i ran 18psi and meth for 1 year problem free with my JB4.

Think whatever you like to think but you have experienced members with all different tunes telling you the same thing... " a tune will just magnify an existing problem"
+1 A Bad sounding guitar will sound even worst on a really nice amp. If you get were where i'm going with this.
-08 M3 DCT W/ Full Exhaust / Tune
-13 B8 Audi S4 APR Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:10 PM   #15
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Cobb runs 18 PSI, wow never knew that.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2012, 08:18 PM   #16
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
+1 A Bad sounding guitar will sound even worst on a really nice amp. If you get were where i'm going with this.
An ugly chick would look even scarier close up!