Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > TPMS sensor says "INACTIVE"

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-28-2012, 10:18 PM   #1
alpinewhitebmw
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 alpine white 335i coupe

TPMS sensor says "INACTIVE"

I just mounted a new set of rims with the beru tpms sensors. After driving on the first day the tpms light came on and said "inactive". I've tried multiple times resetting the tpms using the steps offered in the manual and even methods on e90post but haven't found a solution.Also checked tire pressure and all wheels were balanced.The only thing I can think of is that they didnt balance them correctly or one or more of the sensors are bad.Any other suggestions to this problem would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinewhitebmw View Post
I just mounted a new set of rims with the beru tpms sensors. After driving on the first day the tpms light came on and said "inactive". I've tried multiple times resetting the tpms using the steps offered in the manual and even methods on e90post but haven't found a solution.Also checked tire pressure and all wheels were balanced.The only thing I can think of is that they didnt balance them correctly or one or more of the sensors are bad.Any other suggestions to this problem would be much appreciated.
Where the sensors new or used?
Did you reset in idrive? Full reset should show TPMS initializing. You would need to drive for few blocks.

Try bumping air pressure by 2lb all around then reset again.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #3
alpinewhitebmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for you response Sean...I dont have the idrive so i used the left toggle and went to reset then held down the end button until it saif resetting....then drove for a bit till the tpms light goes off, but after driving a few miles the tpms goes on again and says inactive.The sensors were purchased brand new also. I do have the tire pressure to exact specs of what the inside of the door jam says but I think since the tmps is "inactive" it's not reading it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PYSpeed.com View Post
Where the sensors new or used?
Did you reset in idrive? Full reset should show TPMS initializing. You would need to drive for few blocks.

Try bumping air pressure by 2lb all around then reset again.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
Sean@PYSpeed.com
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 AW E92 M3

Quote:
Thanks for you response Sean...I dont have the idrive so i used the left toggle and went to reset then held down the end button until it saif resetting....then drove for a bit till the tpms light goes off, but after driving a few miles the tpms goes on again and says inactive.The sensors were purchased brand new also. I do have the tire pressure to exact specs of what the inside of the door jam says but I think since the tmps is "inactive" it's not reading it.
try adding 2lb and resetting... if it doesn't work have the shop who did the install check it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #5
alpinewhitebmw
Enlisted Member
Rep

ok will try to do that thanks.also does have the tmps light on affect the performance of the vehicle in anyway?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean@PYSpeed.com View Post
try adding 2lb and resetting... if it doesn't work have the shop who did the install check it out.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 07:46 PM   #6
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

I had that and it wasnt any of the wheel sensors..but the TPMS control unit itself..it could also be anyone of the antennas..they all sit behind the carpet liner in the trunk near the battery

TPMS Diagram
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 02:16 PM   #7
Agent11br
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibra1 View Post
I had that and it wasnt any of the wheel sensors..but the TPMS control unit itself..it could also be anyone of the antennas..they all sit behind the carpet liner in the trunk near the battery

TPMS Diagram
How did you end up coming to this conclusion? I have a non-navi and just swapped my summers on with OEM sensors... have worked every year up until now.
      03-18-2012, 02:27 PM   #8
tibra1
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 ZCP M3 - 2007 335i crashd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent11br View Post
How did you end up coming to this conclusion? I have a non-navi and just swapped my summers on with OEM sensors... have worked every year up until now.
How did I come to this conclusion?

Beacause I changed the wheel sensors and the problem was still there..and when I changed the control unit the problem went away
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 08:59 AM   #9
Leshik
Private First Class
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [8.00]
How much was to replace the thing for tire pressure? the whole unit i mean? cause it seems i have the same problem it blink and the stays on the tires are good and everythig is there.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2012, 11:55 AM   #10
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Quote:
ok will try to do that thanks.also does have the tmps light on affect the performance of the vehicle in anyway?
You won't lose any performance unless your PSI is actually low in your tires. It'll just give you a really annoying notification.
      05-31-2012, 06:08 PM   #11
RFGuy_KCCO
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3MC BSM/SO

Garage List
OP, are you sure your tire shop installed the correct TPMS sensors? BMW changed the sensors in 2010 (I think), so you need to make sure they used the correct sensors for your 2009 car.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #12
lukasbmw
Beach Bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 328i / 2005 C55

I have this dam problem.

I just had a local shop mount some new 19" Vossens and tires and now my "TPMS is Inactive." I've tried resetting with no luck.

I'll try the trick of adding two pounds per wheel and report back.

I really don't want to take the car back to the shop. My usual guy (sharp) isn't there and the other manager is a moron.
2004 SL600 - Sold
1999 540i - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2016, 08:01 PM   #13
Pauloxxi
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014-320Xi / 2017-330Xi

Garage List
I had the same issue yesterday. Tireman in Holland, OH. Awful experience. I run over something, not only cut my tire, but also made hole in my rim. Yes, it was huge. These guys replaced the tires, and replaced the rim. When I went to get the car, the rim was different than the other 3. Car had to stay one more day so they get correct rim. Next day, the yellow light for tire pressure is on. They say they cannot ride the car 20 minutes to reset the system, while we know just 3 or 4 miles it is all set. So I rode, but Next day I take the care back because the tire pressure is INACTIVE. I mentioned the sensor could be bad, since the wheel was severely damaged. After couple hours they called me back, everything is good, TPMS sensor was replaced and alert lights are off. They had to connect the ODB to reset, so they broke one of the prongs and the little cover doesn't hold in place. I'm meticulous and like everything right in my almost 7 years old car. The question is why these guys don't do the right thing first? Why they are so much in a hurry to don't do what needs to be done? Why they don't care and break stuff in your car? Well, to aleviate my pain, they did not charged the replacement TPMS sensor, but I would pay if I had a good service first time. They waste more time, they loose money and disappoint customers by not paying attention to the detail.

Last edited by Pauloxxi; 03-10-2016 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0