E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Converting music library

03-09-2012, 01:04 PM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Converting music library

I'm sure someone on here will be able to help with this one!

I had my entire music collection burned onto my old laptop which died a death a year or so ago. Stupidly, I had not backed up the music files but was able to restore from my iPod.

I now want to copy my music on to an SD card to listen to in the car. I copied the music folder onto the SD and popped it in the car. Music played fine but it is impossible to navigate - my music folder is gobbildigook from the iPod whereas before I could see the artist, album, track etc.

Is there a way that I can convert my iTunes library back to more conventional music files before I copy it across to an SD card?

You can tell I am at the cutting edge of such things

Any help appreciated, cheers
      03-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #2
chris330D
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Youve been bitten by the Apple curse I think The way Apple encode their music files is different to MP3s and it catches a lot of systems out. Dont know what your car set up is but most systems expect the information to be embedded in the file but Apple puts the Album art in a separate folder. If you download something like Media Monkey you can see how the files are stored and there are many apps out there to convert from Apple (AAC) to MP3. I would stick some MP3 files on the SD card and if they work you have the answer otherwise you need to find out what file structure you car is expecting.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 04:49 PM   #3
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris330D View Post
Youve been bitten by the Apple curse I think The way Apple encode their music files is different to MP3s and it catches a lot of systems out. Dont know what your car set up is but most systems expect the information to be embedded in the file but Apple puts the Album art in a separate folder. If you download something like Media Monkey you can see how the files are stored and there are many apps out there to convert from Apple (AAC) to MP3. I would stick some MP3 files on the SD card and if they work you have the answer otherwise you need to find out what file structure you car is expecting.
Thanks, Chris.

MP3 works fine. I tried one of the AAC to MP3 conversion programmes but it didn't work (still the same silly file names bearing no resemblance to album etc).

I have actually started ripping a few of my fav CD's again in MP3 unless someone has a good programme that I can just dump my iTunes library into?
      03-11-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

I've used a program called 'XLD' for batch format conversions.
I'm a Mac though, so have no idea if it's available for windows (you don't say what you have.. )