E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HPF Gen II vs. Vanguard V2

04-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #1
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 e92 335i 6MT

HPF Gen II vs. Vanguard V2

Alright, so I've posted a few threads about exhaust comparisons before. I've been researching and looking up sound clips and trying to hear many exhausts in person for a little less than a year. I've narrowed it down to HPF and Vanguard. I want an exhaust that is as loud as possible, with as little rasp top end as possible. Drone does not bother me.

I'm going to be installing the following in order this summer: PROcede V5, BMS DCI, exhaust, then CP-E catless downpipes. ***keep in mind that downpipes will be installed, so take that into mind when helping me out.

So, rate the following questions from 1 to 10:

How loud are each of the two exhausts (with dp's, 1 being stock exhaust)?

How much rasp will be introduced when paired with catless dp's (1 being stock/no rasp)?

Build quality of the exhaust (10 being the best possible)?

Thanks. I know I'm asking a lot but exhausts are expensive and I wanna know as much as possible before pulling the trigger, and sound clips are sometimes deceiving.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:15 PM   #2
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

the hpf gen II hasnt been out very long. so i dout youll get many answers on that. i would also do downpipes before exhaust. you may think its loud enough. you also get more gains from downpipes then an exhuast i think.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skatenc123 View Post
the hpf gen II hasnt been out very long. so i dout youll get many answers on that. i would also do downpipes before exhaust. you may think its loud enough. you also get more gains from downpipes then an exhuast i think.
yeah but i'm sure people will be able to give me some kind of answers based on the design. and i'm definitely changing the exhaust, but not set on dp's first or exhaust first.. shouldn't matter. thanks though
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:26 PM   #4
skatenc123
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe

on the design i havnt looked extensively into the vanguard but ive looked at tons of pics of the hpf gen 1 and 2 and those look extremely well built and amazing. And i ment dp first because atleast for cobb dps are required were an exhaust is reccomended.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

I had the HPF Gen II installed on my car with my VRSF DPs for Chris's video shoot and it's louder with what I would call an 8 rasp... Sounded nice IMOP but resinated back through the car a bit. It's also a really nice looking pipe and easy to install. If you're planning on a single turbo upgrade, then the Gen II is the pipe... As much as I like the HPF pipe, IMOP I would spend my money on suspension kit like what Shiv posted or go with an LSD before dropping the dime on a new pipe. Sorry Chris. I can tell you with the stock exhaust and the VRSF DP's, at 4k I get a rasp of about 5 to 6 that actually sounds really nice because it doesn't resinate back through the car. Sounds really cool going into Portland through the hwy 26 tunnel or in the parking ramp at the airport.

I also didn't see PWM Meth in your list. I highly recommend. I run map 4 always and the car is just smooth as silk when you spray meth. If you use the washer fluid tank, I don't recommend running more than 70/30 mix because you'll end up catching your car on fire. Trust me, I know... You can ask Overboost about it also. He wasn't so lucky.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
E90SoFlo
Banned
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Don't run the WW tank, its made for windshield washer fluid, install a tank in your trunk.

Downpipes before exhaust, Its more bang for your buck
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:37 PM   #7
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967
I had the HPF Gen II installed on my car with my VRSF DPs for Chris's video shoot and it's louder with what I would call an 8 rasp... Sounded nice IMOP but resinated back through the car a bit. It's also a really nice looking pipe and easy to install. If you're planning on a single turbo upgrade, then the Gen II is the pipe... As much as I like the HPF pipe, IMOP I would spend my money on suspension kit like what Shiv posted or go with an LSD before dropping the dime on a new pipe. Sorry Chris. I can tell you with the stock exhaust and the VRSF DP's, at 4k I get a rasp of about 5 to 6 that actually sounds really nice because it doesn't resinate back through the car. Sounds really cool going into Portland through the hwy 26 tunnel or in the parking ramp at the airport.

I also didn't see PWM Meth in your list. I highly recommend. I run map 4 always and the car is just smooth as silk when you spray meth. If you use the washer fluid tank, I don't recommend running more than 70/30 mix because you'll end up catching your car on fire. Trust me, I know... You can ask Overboost about it also. He wasn't so lucky.
I'm getting an exhaust with sound in mind more than functionality. probably not going single turbo any time soon. and you really experienced that much rasp with the exhaust and dp's?? by rasp I mean that nasty civic-sounding high-pitched fart. it is not pleasurable to the human ear haha. that's what you're hearing??
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 04:48 PM   #8
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Let my wife drive my car home the other night while I followed her. She stepped on it for me and I wanted to wet my pants.

I'm not sure why people want an extremely loud raspy exhaust. The AE Exhaust WITH the downpipes is amazing and produces a sound that is really bad ass. I bought the downpipes first and then the exhaust right after. I installed them both at the same time though.

We are still waiting to hear the HPF Gen2 with downpipes to see if there is any rasp. With stock downpipes so far it sounds pretty amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 06:32 PM   #9
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI
Let my wife drive my car home the other night while I followed her. She stepped on it for me and I wanted to wet my pants.

I'm not sure why people want an extremely loud raspy exhaust. The AE Exhaust WITH the downpipes is amazing and produces a sound that is really bad ass. I bought the downpipes first and then the exhaust right after. I installed them both at the same time though.

We are still waiting to hear the HPF Gen2 with downpipes to see if there is any rasp. With stock downpipes so far it sounds pretty amazing.
you have a point but I'm not looking for a loud raspy exhaust. just a loud exhaust.

AE is 2 grand for a sound that's barely louder than stock. an exhaust doesn't give that much power gain, so to me the only reason to justify spending over 1k on an exhaust is to get a LOUD deep sound. AE is too tame. sure with downpipes it's loud, but why wouldn't I just save 2k and just leave the stock exhaust in that case? trust me I've been looking all this up and I've narrowed it to these two. thanks for the reply either way
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Vanguard is raspy. Hpf will be way too loud and drone and have rasp too.
I say downpipes and replace secondary cats with vibrant resonators and delete res. if your sedan, and some new tips to top it off.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 09:37 PM   #11
Wes335XI
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335XI Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetblackcoupe View Post
you have a point but I'm not looking for a loud raspy exhaust. just a loud exhaust.

AE is 2 grand for a sound that's barely louder than stock. an exhaust doesn't give that much power gain, so to me the only reason to justify spending over 1k on an exhaust is to get a LOUD deep sound. AE is too tame. sure with downpipes it's loud, but why wouldn't I just save 2k and just leave the stock exhaust in that case? trust me I've been looking all this up and I've narrowed it to these two. thanks for the reply either way
Let me know where to find "just a loud exhaust" without all of the rasps that goes with it. I would have bought it in a heart beat. I had an extremely loud exhaust on my STi, headers, downpipe, and the Blitz Nur Spec R. It was a beast and it sounded like one.

I like the M3, you can get that beast exhaust and there is no rasp or rice, it's a straight up monster similar to a Cobra, which when I first heard the aftermarket exhaust for the M3 it left me scratching my head.

So far I haven't found an exhaust for the E92 335 that will give me that "really loud" exhaust sound that I crave. Yet here I am more than happy with what I have. I'm not a spokes person for AE exhaust, but so far that is the only one that I have heard on youtube after listening to all of them that does not have rasp. Trust me, it sounds a lot louder and better in person than it did on the YouTube videos. Some of the top notch exhausts on there made the car sound like a lawnmower... You go catless downpipes it made it even worse.

The exhaust note of a vehicle is one of my favorite things when it comes to modding. I went through 5 exhausts on my STi only to land at the first one that I had originally bought. I was not about to go through that again with this vehicle. I also understood that the exhaust may cost more. I spent several months doing the research before I made the purchase. I also researched the price and found the right vendor. Mine didn't cost $2K, and some of the lower end ones that sounded like lawnmowers were in the $1350-1600.00 range. The cheapest one I have seen is Borla which was a no go for me. I'll put Borla on my Subaru, never on a luxury car.

Good luck, I say wait to hear what the HPF Gen 2 sounds like with catless downpipes.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 11:24 PM   #12
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes335XI
Quote:

Let me know where to find "just a loud exhaust" without all of the rasps that goes with it. I would have bought it in a heart beat. I had an extremely loud exhaust on my STi, headers, downpipe, and the Blitz Nur Spec R. It was a beast and it sounded like one.

I like the M3, you can get that beast exhaust and there is no rasp or rice, it's a straight up monster similar to a Cobra, which when I first heard the aftermarket exhaust for the M3 it left me scratching my head.

So far I haven't found an exhaust for the E92 335 that will give me that "really loud" exhaust sound that I crave. Yet here I am more than happy with what I have. I'm not a spokes person for AE exhaust, but so far that is the only one that I have heard on youtube after listening to all of them that does not have rasp. Trust me, it sounds a lot louder and better in person than it did on the YouTube videos. Some of the top notch exhausts on there made the car sound like a lawnmower... You go catless downpipes it made it even worse.

The exhaust note of a vehicle is one of my favorite things when it comes to modding. I went through 5 exhausts on my STi only to land at the first one that I had originally bought. I was not about to go through that again with this vehicle. I also understood that the exhaust may cost more. I spent several months doing the research before I made the purchase. I also researched the price and found the right vendor. Mine didn't cost $2K, and some of the lower end ones that sounded like lawnmowers were in the $1350-1600.00 range. The cheapest one I have seen is Borla which was a no go for me. I'll put Borla on my Subaru, never on a luxury car.

Good luck, I say wait to hear what the HPF Gen 2 sounds like with catless downpipes.
understood. the video from HPF of the gen 2 exhaust had a car with catless dp's by the way. Wedge's car as he said
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 01:50 AM   #13
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

bump for input
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 02:21 AM   #14
Dr. G
Major General
Rep
Drives: Black e92 335i

Garage List
e92 BMW 335i  [8.84]
Most setups are raspy when catless on this car unless you throw in your own resonators. To me a car with an AE setup sounds so weird, it kind of sounds like the cars just burping, I would rather keep stock exhaust than AE.

Find the exhaust that suits your taste the best and when you add downpipes to it add a set of resonators into the midpipes, otherwise you will have to deal with rasp.
JB4 / OSS Angel Eyes / Downpipes / F1-Racewerks FMIC / Custom Meth Kit / BMS DCI / ER Chargepipe / HKS BOV / BMS Meth Elbow / BMW Performance Exhaust / Carbon Fiber Inlay Quad Tips / 19" Miro 111 / Front Aero Lip / M3 Sides / VRS CSL Trunk / Mtech Rear / DD CF Quad Finned Diffuser / LCI Tails / BBK / Smoked Reflectors / F1 Euphoria LED Interior / License LED's / GT 5000k Corners / 5000k HID Fogs / Air Scoops / LED Turn Signals / FK Silverline Coilovers / HPA endlinks / Vibrant Resonators / Osram CBI 5000k D1S
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:46 PM   #15
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. G View Post
Most setups are raspy when catless on this car unless you throw in your own resonators. To me a car with an AE setup sounds so weird, it kind of sounds like the cars just burping, I would rather keep stock exhaust than AE.

Find the exhaust that suits your taste the best and when you add downpipes to it add a set of resonators into the midpipes, otherwise you will have to deal with rasp.
both hpf gen ii and vanguard already have resonators, though. the only solution to rasp is to just keep adding resonators?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #16
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

long time lurker here,

I'm also one disgusted by the sounds of nearly all 335i exhausts. Exhaust acoustics isn't exactly a difficult science and for the cost the manufacturers charge for a few pieces of pipe, they should sound great.

Case in point, I bought a ebay-special 'top speed pro 1' catback exhaust for my 370z. Stock 370zs just don't sound very good, now it sounds absolutely amazing. The exhaust should show decent gains and cost me less than $500 shipped brand-new. It's made from the same types of metal

There's no reason an I6 shouldn't sound amazing. The 2jz and RB26 motors sound incredible with a big exhaust.

To answer the question about the HPF Gen II... it has a resonator, but no muffler. Adding another resonator isn't going to help if the first resonator didn't remove the rasp. It will need a muffler. I'm contemplating on building my own 3.5" single for my e92 using Vibrant muffler #10632 and route the twin outlets to the bumper. I'm looking at using a 3.5" vibrant bottle resonator as well. I'm hoping that this will get rid of the rasp and give a loud but mellow sound to the car. If not, I'm going to have to look into a helmholtz resonator for the car (do a lookup on 370z ART pipes for a better explanation).

Vibrant muffler 10635

Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:46 PM   #17
jetblackcoupe
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sered View Post
long time lurker here,

I'm also one disgusted by the sounds of nearly all 335i exhausts. Exhaust acoustics isn't exactly a difficult science and for the cost the manufacturers charge for a few pieces of pipe, they should sound great.

Case in point, I bought a ebay-special 'top speed pro 1' catback exhaust for my 370z. Stock 370zs just don't sound very good, now it sounds absolutely amazing. The exhaust should show decent gains and cost me less than $500 shipped brand-new. It's made from the same types of metal

There's no reason an I6 shouldn't sound amazing. The 2jz and RB26 motors sound incredible with a big exhaust.

To answer the question about the HPF Gen II... it has a resonator, but no muffler. Adding another resonator isn't going to help if the first resonator didn't remove the rasp. It will need a muffler. I'm contemplating on building my own 3.5" single for my e92 using Vibrant muffler #10632 and route the twin outlets to the bumper. I'm looking at using a 3.5" vibrant bottle resonator as well. I'm hoping that this will get rid of the rasp and give a loud but mellow sound to the car. If not, I'm going to have to look into a helmholtz resonator for the car (do a lookup on 370z ART pipes for a better explanation).

Vibrant muffler 10635

yeah i agree. it's been a while since the n54's release and i'm surprised there still isn't a LOUD setup that has no rasp while catless.

you mentioned the hpf needs a muffler. the vanguard has resonators and mufflers, yet it still rasps with catless downpipes. the AE exhaust has no resonators but it has mufflers and it doesn't rasp with catless downpipes but it is veryyyyy tame... strange.

the hpf gen ii seems to have no rasp without catless downpipes. with catless downpipes, you can't really tell in the HPF shop video. hopefully some videos come out soon fully catless under load with better sound quality. i'm really leaning toward hpf but rasp is annoying to me...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 12:31 AM   #18
EDM92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Low&Slow

All I know is, don't get Vanguard.

Montego Blue 2007 E92 335i - ZSP / ZPP / Steptronic / Logic7
Broadway Static - CCW - Megan - Orion
Instagram: bmwforlife
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 06:21 AM   #19
Sered
Major
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

Quote:
yeah i agree. it's been a while since the n54's release and i'm surprised there still isn't a LOUD setup that has no rasp while catless.

you mentioned the hpf needs a muffler. the vanguard has resonators and mufflers, yet it still rasps with catless downpipes. the AE exhaust has no resonators but it has mufflers and it doesn't rasp with catless downpipes but it is veryyyyy tame... strange.

the hpf gen ii seems to have no rasp without catless downpipes. with catless downpipes, you can't really tell in the HPF shop video. hopefully some videos come out soon fully catless under load with better sound quality. i'm really leaning toward hpf but rasp is annoying to me...
It may be the type of muffler the Vangard system has. From the videos I've seen, the catless HPF system still rasps, just not as badly as some others.
Appreciate 0