Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > xDrive coupe with 19s?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

04-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #1
PaulG6201
Rep
Drives: 2010 335xi M Sport Coupe

xDrive coupe with 19s?

I recently purchased a 2010 xDrive 335i M Sport coupe and had a few questions. I posted a couple weeks ago about possibly painting the wheels that came on the car, but am now leaning toward just buying a new set. The current wheels are 18's and I was thinking about upping them to 19's (Avant Garde Style M310). However, with the added height on the xDrives compared to the 2WD models, I was wondering if they would look good without having to lower the car. Does anyone have any pictures of an xDrive coupe (stock height) with matte/gloss black 19's of any kind (or any color for that matter) that i could see before I make any decisions? Also, if I do decide to lower the car, are the H&R sport springs a viable option or would I be asking for trouble? I've heard the KW coilovers are a good option for the xDrives, but I really don't want to spend that kind of cash. Any help would be much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wide Load

My old e90 was xdrive and without it being lowered it looked strange way to high with the 19's I put on. I did not take any pics because it of that a week later it was lowered, no matter what IMO the xdrive needs to be lowered badly
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
DDS2015
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3CS

Garage List
2021 BMW X3  [0.00]
2023 BMW M4  [0.00]
It'll look high. Remember that the xdrives have the standard suspension (even though you have msport). My xdrive looks a little high even with 18's on it.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #4
MCoupeInsanity
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
It'll look high. Remember that the xdrives have the standard suspension (even though you have msport). My xdrive looks a little high even with 18's on it.
Actually, the x-drive cars have their own suspension which is even a bit higher than the standard non-sport setup.
      04-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #5
PaulG6201
Rep

Ya that's what I thought. Any opinions on a lowering kit? Like I said, I would rather not spend too much. Are there any cheaper viable coilover options than the KW's? And even then I am concerned about clearance issues in the front...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #6
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I have the e92 xdrive with 19 inchers as well.
It looks pretty bad without a drop.
I bought KW V3 coils and put it down! Looks great!
      04-25-2012, 06:22 PM   #7
beantown
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335xi

this is my gap on 19's with stock xi suspension.

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
loki
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive

Another look, hope this helps. I agree, it needs a drop.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:44 AM   #9
Sov
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335xi

Eh - looks good to me. Contrary to forum wisdom, not every single car has to be slammed.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 04:59 AM   #10
gcreese
gcreese
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Coupe

How good are the roads where you live? In some parts of the country, 19" wheels are a guarantee of flat tires and bent rims.

2010 535i xDrive Sport Wagon (April 2009): Deep Sea Blue / Cream Beige / Sport, Premium, Cold Weather Packages
2011 335i xDrive Coupe (April 2011, European Delivery): Le Mans Blue / Oyster-Black / M Sport, Premium, Convenience Packages
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 07:36 AM   #11
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 coupe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcreese View Post
How good are the roads where you live? In some parts of the country, 19" wheels are a guarantee of flat tires and bent rims.
Agreed. Some say they look cool but all will agree that 18" is a better overall handling package. Ive had 19 on my last 2 cars. Bent 5 on my S4 so went to 18 and only bent 2. 19 on my e92 and they are all a little out of whack-BBS on both.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #12
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov View Post
Eh - looks good to me. Contrary to forum wisdom, not every single car has to be slammed.
True. But we need whole car pictures to really judge.

There is a thread on the XI area that is about 18s and 19s on stock suspension. Lots of good pics there.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:38 AM   #13
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vapore0n View Post
True. But we need whole car pictures to really judge.

There is a thread on the XI area that is about 18s and 19s on stock suspension. Lots of good pics there.
Try google images too.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:06 AM   #14
PaulG6201
Rep

Thanks guys. Looking into a few options on lowering. Decided that if I do a suspension setup, I might as well go ahead and spend the money to do it right. KW V1's, here we go.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG6201 View Post
Thanks guys. Looking into a few options on lowering. Decided that if I do a suspension setup, I might as well go ahead and spend the money to do it right. KW V1's, here we go.
I did H&R sport springs only on my last S4 and it was great. I'm sure coilovers are better on the track but I never took it there. I would suggest coilovers are overkill if youre simply looking to lose the gap.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #16
PaulG6201
Rep

Makes sense. My only real concern is reliability and looks. Obviously some added performance would be a plus, but you're probably right. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, and if I just went straight springs and shocks in the performance suspension (stage 1) from Dinan I could probably get the results I am looking for. I realize it's a little pricey, but when it comes to reliability I feel like Dinan really is a good idea. (I already have their software, which I like due to their warranty compatibility) However, for whatever reason none of their xDrive suspension packages include front struts. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 01:02 PM   #17
vapore0n
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG6201 View Post
Makes sense. My only real concern is reliability and looks. Obviously some added performance would be a plus, but you're probably right. I've been doing a lot of research on the subject, and if I just went straight springs and shocks in the performance suspension (stage 1) from Dinan I could probably get the results I am looking for. I realize it's a little pricey, but when it comes to reliability I feel like Dinan really is a good idea. (I already have their software, which I like due to their warranty compatibility) However, for whatever reason none of their xDrive suspension packages include front struts. Thoughts?
front struts are different (stronger) on the xdrive. Thats why they only replace the rear ones.

My plan is 18s + eibach springs + struts. This combo should lower it a little, and increase handling a little bit. Just enough to feel like it should, and not kill my back on my drives to work.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 08:54 PM   #18
ModBargains.com
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: JB E92 335i

The Xi models do sit a bit high when the car isn't lowered. Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more mone5y doing it right the first time around. I would highly recommend for you to consider getting some aftermarket shocks at the same time. I would recommend that you check out the KONI Yellow Adjustable shocks as they’re valved correctly to handle a more aggressive spring rate. With that being said, I would most definitely recommend that you go with a coilover system and do it right the first time.

The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I would highly recommend that you go with the KW V1 xi system. The KW V1 xi will give you the ability to adjust the height of your car with pre set damping. This is perfect for an everyday street driven vehicle and will be comparable to the OEM Sports suspension in terms of ride quality!!
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2012, 09:41 PM   #19
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sov View Post
100% agree. I think it looks just fine.
      04-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #20
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

I like 19's on my car without a drop, but it would look better with one.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
335BBS
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by **********s.com View Post
The Xi models do sit a bit high when the car isn't lowered. Paring up an aftermarket spring with more aggressive spring rates will definitely cause your OEM non-sport or sport shocks to wear out over time. This is due to the fact that OEM shocks are simply not meant to handle the more aggressive spring rates. Think of it this way, you're putting a shorter spring with a longer shock body. The shorter springs will cause the shocks to compress to its maximum setting every time you hit a bump due to the longer travel distance. What this can cause is what's known as bump steer and jarring of the ride. This is what for the most part affects ride quality.

Let's break this down in terms of cost. You'll spend about $230-300 bucks for aftermarket springs, another $250-300 for an installation, and another $65-$125 for an alignment. When your OEM sport or non-sport shocks blow your going to have to spend another $700-800 on shocks, another installation fee, and another alignment. If you calculate that all together, you would saved a whole lot more mone5y doing it right the first time around. I would highly recommend for you to consider getting some aftermarket shocks at the same time. I would recommend that you check out the KONI Yellow Adjustable shocks as they’re valved correctly to handle a more aggressive spring rate. With that being said, I would most definitely recommend that you go with a coilover system and do it right the first time.

The answer is simple; you get what you pay for when it comes to vehicle suspension. As such a crucial component of your vehicle, suspension is definitely something you do not want to cheap out on. A coilover suspension basically gives you a matched lowering spring and shock absorber combination with the added benefit of adjustable ride height and spring rates through a moveable spring perch or perches. Coilovers are to your car's advantage by reducing unsprung mass, increasing suspension travel, and allowing the car to be corner balanced.

I would highly recommend that you go with the KW V1 xi system. The KW V1 xi will give you the ability to adjust the height of your car with pre set damping. This is perfect for an everyday street driven vehicle and will be comparable to the OEM Sports suspension in terms of ride quality!!
I put about 80,000 miles on my B7S4 with sport springs only and never had a shock problem. If the car is lower how do you possibly get MORE suspension travel?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #22
modojojo
Private
Rep
Drives: 328 XDrive

Here's my non lowered drive. I already can't stick 3 fingers from the top of the rear tire to the fender, It's about a 2 1/2 inch gap. I might get coil overs and only lower about inch in the back and maybe 1.2 inches in the front.

Appreciate 0