BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

Mporium BMW

05-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #1
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3 RS

Denver folks with suspension mods

I know many of you have either camber plates, sleeve over or other suspension work. Most interested in what plates you have/had and who did the install. I was going to go with GC but nervous about quality given the issues others seem to be having now. Also would be helpful to know who did the install (I know slam man did his own GC install?). Trying to decide on plates and a shop to get the work done before HPR later this month. Thanks!
      05-01-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep
Drives: ex-M

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
What issues have you been hearing re GC?

There are only a few shops I'd trust to do this work right. Bimmerhaus is one (in Broomfield). Be sure the shop has race prep experience w newer Bimmers.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis

There are only a few shops I'd trust to do this work right. Bimmerhaus is one (in Broomfield). Be sure the shop has race prep experience w newer Bimmers.
Thanks Ilis. That is where I was planning on going but then got worried when the recommended Turner plates and said they have installed them on other E9x. Only problem is they don't exist for the E9x.

Look over in the suspension and track forums for some recent issues with bolts snapping. I know it's a small sample but enough to give me some pause before buying them.
      05-01-2012, 03:52 PM   #4
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

I read through the thread re: bolts snapping and have to say I was surprised. Sounds like a QC issue. I have the Conversion Kit from GC that includes the camber plates plus a bunch of other stuff that still left EDC intact. Pretty sure my camber plates are different than those they make for the OEM perches though. Pics of my install are here. They look completely different.

We didn't have any issues installing them, although I agree you should take it to a shop who's worked on the newer M3's. Maybe check with SCR? I took mine to Peak Eurosport and it was a full 12+ hour day to get these bits installed because they were having to look on the internet for everything (like how to take the back seat out to gain access to the rear perches). They also failed to reinstall the bumpstops. oops.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Wow, how did that run you? And I know I should know, but SCR?
      05-01-2012, 11:04 PM   #6
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by signes
Quote:
Originally Posted by llis

Thanks Ilis. That is where I was planning on going but then got worried when the recommended Turner plates and said they have installed them on other E9x. Only problem is they don't exist for the E9x.

Look over in the suspension and track forums for some recent issues with bolts snapping. I know it's a small sample but enough to give me some pause before buying them.
I'm surprised at that. Dan has installed GC camber plates on at least two E92 M3s and a 335i, and that's just from people I know.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #7
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by signes
Wow, how did that run you? And I know I should know, but SCR?
IIRC, the suspension bits were ~ $1100, install was $700?

SCR is up north... Loveland area? Look them up and see if you can get ahold of Mark Baer (owner) - he's a straight shooter (met him through NASA).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ED 5/19/2010, Interlagos E90

I've done it a couple times now. The street camber plate super simple. The sleeve over kit is more involved. They're both relatively simple but it will be time consuming your first time around if you take it on yourself. I think my DIY guide is pretty thorough and I'd be happy to help. I have to reiterate that I have no formal training though. LOL

The money you save could buy you some setup tools. Something I've been threatening to buy myself. Then you'll never have to go to a shop to change your setup for track or street. As is, you need to adjust the toe any time you change camber very much and you can't just change the camber by the marks on the camber plate alone.

I think the GC stuff is good quality for the price point. I'd probably avoid the low profile camber plate kit considering the recent QC issues. The regular kit and sleeve over kit don't have that same welded bolt.

If you're going to a shop, I think you should use a shop with a lot of experience with the E90. Unfortunately I don't know which shop that is.

I think Bimmerhaus is a pretty good shop, all things considered. I had a somewhat negative experience when I had them do the alignment to my car after installing the sleeve over kit then I found out the hard way that you can't just tilt the shocks in before going to the track without adjusting the toe. I corded the inside of my tires after the first track day with the sleeve kit. I'm somewhat lucky I didn't have a blowout mid corner at the track.

When I had the alignment done, I asked if I could just tilt the shocks in before going to the track. They said go for it and they gave me no warning that the toe would be affected. Maybe they didn't know the tow would change or just forgot to tell me. I don't know. In the end it's my fault for not being more familiar with the suspension but it kinda felt like they let me hang myself.
      05-02-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
signes
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Thanks all. I'm giving more consideration to a sleeve kit and have been researching the TCK version. Dnvrdrvr will also give SCR a call, thanks for the rec. Decisions...
      05-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #10
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

TC Klein kit looks good. A little more expensive but the quality looks very nice. I'd honestly probably pick that if I was going to do a sleeve kit.

I just hated riding around on stiff springs in my daily driver with the sleeve kit. I had relatively soft springs too. That's why I went to the GC street kit with the OEM ZCP springs. I think I'm getting old.
      05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #11
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

bimmerhaus, blah! I emailed them about a E92 performance exhaust install, they told me "$250, There is some measuring and custom fabrication to install the muffler correctly." when it is a simple bolt-on. And after saying that to them, I only got cocky emails back and lip. I ended up doing it myself. I did it in 1.5 hours total using wooden self-built race ramps in my one car garage. They quoted me 2-3 hours.

I did get my winter/summer tires swapped this time around at SCR. I was very impressed at their shop. The owner and techs really seem to have a passion for cars, and BMWs in particular. Got a tour of their shop, and liked every part of it. If I had to have work done on a BMW in Colorado, I'd go to SCR.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2012, 11:21 PM   #12
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

LOL I've heard good stuff about SCR and I'd like to give them a shot but I'm pretty sure they're in another state.
      05-03-2012, 12:20 AM   #13
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlamMan View Post
LOL I've heard good stuff about SCR and I'd like to give them a shot but I'm pretty sure they're in another state.
Uhhh, SCR is in Loveland

3466 E County Road 20C # C8
Loveland, CO 80537
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
SlamMan
Captain
United_States
Rep

Exactly. Might as well be in Kansas.

I did call them to get a quote on installing my sleeve over kit. At nearly a 2 hour round trip It was farther than I wanted to bother considering someone would have to follow me up there to drop the car off and dive me to pick it up. I said eff it and just did it myself.

For what I'll use them for, Bimmerhaus is good enough to skip 4 hours in the car.
      05-03-2012, 01:43 PM   #15
llis
octane chick
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 ZCP  [10.00]
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
Lol. DIY exhaust installation but performance shop to mount wheels. Sorry but that's worth a snicker.
Appreciate 0