E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Craftsman garage door opener keeps going up

06-24-2007, 05:15 PM   #1
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Craftsman garage door opener keeps going up

I just moved into a house and we've got a double garage with 2 garage doors. Each one has a Craftsman 1/2 hp garage door opener (like this).

They both go up fine, but when closing them (a single press on the provided remote, a single press on the wall unit physically connected to the unit or a single press on my trained button on the rearview mirror) sometimes the door just stops and goes up again.

I believe it is related to the sensor which is about 6 inches off the ground and it fires a beam of light (?) across to a reciever. I think this is being triggered which then sends the door back up.

One door seems to be more affected than the other, it has problems closing unless it is pretty dark outside and it tends to stop coming down almost immediately. The other door seems better and only tends to do this in the mornings when there is direct sunlight on the door. When I have watched it on this door I can see it stops going down as soon as the shadow cast by the door coming down hits the sensor near the floor.

I have found that if you get out of the car and go and press and hold the button on the wall (which is hard wired to the unit) until the door is fully shut then the door will always shut and not go up.

One permanent solution would be to remove the sensor and just hard wire it so that it would never trigger, but I'm not prepared to do that with a kid on the way and loads of other kids in the area.

Next week I'm planning on making a small cylindrical shade and attaching it over the sensor since I think it is the ambient (direct) light that is causing the problem and seeing if this cures it.

Does anyone know if you can buy these sensors separately? if so is there a good model?

any other cunning solutions that I'm missing?
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2007, 07:10 PM   #2
SGxi
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi

Garage List
2007 328xi  [0.00]
Did you re-align the sensors?
      06-24-2007, 09:19 PM   #3
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGxi View Post
Did you re-align the sensors?
is there a scientific way to do this (I don't have a manual or anything from the openers)?

I've wiggled them around a bit and tried to put them manually in the centre of the range - There is a light on the reciever that is green which turns orange when the beam is broken. So I've moved the reciever to left until the light goes orange, then to the right, then I put it into the middle of those 2 positions and then repeated with up and down.
Appreciate 0