Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 3rd gen RFT?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-11-2012, 02:07 AM   #1
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

3rd gen RFT?

Does anyone know when Bridgestone or others are going to make available 3G RFT tires other than the 960AS RFT? It doesn't snow where I live and I don't want all-season tires. I hated the re050 tires my 09 E90 came with (lasted like 15k miles and were hard), and while the Continental SSRs I replaced them with are much better I want to upgrade to this supposedly much improved 3rd generation technology. It looks like s001 RFTs are on the new F30s and are available in Europe (at stunningly high prices), anyone know when they are expected to available for aftermarket install in the US? I am a bit concerned we are going to be left behind on 3G performance tires for our E90s since the F30 has different sizing.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Mark_K
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i 6MT ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar007 View Post
I am a bit concerned we are going to be left behind on 3G performance tires for our E90s since the F30 has different sizing.
Well, then use it as an incentive to finally throw away those crappy tires and put some go-flats on. I can recommend Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires.
      05-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #3
The Wildcard
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

It's either the Michelin like Mark mentioned above, or the Continential DWS.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #4
asus389
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E90 328i

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
About 6 months ago I emailed with someone at Bridgestone asking about the s001 RFTs in e90 sizes and the impression I got was "don't hold your breath".

The Re050a RFT "I" (vs the "II") supposedly rides a bit better. I have also heard the P Zero RFT isn't as hard as the Re050a. The Michelin ps2 RFT is also good, but they don't make them in my sizes.

This test at tire rack compares some of the recent summer RFTs:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=158

Personally I just went for the s004 pole position non RFT and have been completely happy. These tires are amazing. Sporty but not as harsh. Much quieter and also don't lose contact patch mid turn if you hit a bump. They don't make the PSS in my sizes, so I can't comment on how they compare.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Sunsetter
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i convertible

Thanks for the replies. Non-RFT isn't an option for me, mainly because the wife will not like it and I have myself had a few flats in my day and am not going to go without either RFT or a spare. I actually use my trunk and cannot have it taken up with a tire, and my wife will be intimidated by the fix-a-flat tubes. Disappointing to hear that Bridgestone doesn't think its worth giving us a non-summer 3rd gen RFT option - anyone know if other manufacturers are coming out with their own 3G RFTs? Are they just leaving this market to Bridgestone?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheddar007 View Post
Thanks for the replies. Non-RFT isn't an option for me, mainly because the wife will not like it and I have myself had a few flats in my day and am not going to go without either RFT or a spare. I actually use my trunk and cannot have it taken up with a tire, and my wife will be intimidated by the fix-a-flat tubes. Disappointing to hear that Bridgestone doesn't think its worth giving us a non-summer 3rd gen RFT option - anyone know if other manufacturers are coming out with their own 3G RFTs? Are they just leaving this market to Bridgestone?
best advise any one is going to ever tell you, is to buy a spare or a comfort kit.

seriously.