F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > I have just gotten a PRODUCTION number. However... :(
Extreme Powerhouse

06-05-2012, 07:25 PM   #1
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M4

CLOSED

I placed an order for a 2013 F30 335i on May 07th. I was finally given a production number today, June 05th. (Production # 3927265)
Before I made my deposit on 05/07, I asked my CA if he could guarantee a delivery by Aug 31st and he said YES. (I have an email from him)
My CA has told me that the production will start in mid July and that I MAY be able to pick up the car around August 20th or by the end of Aug.
TWO QUESTIONS:

1) Is this CA for real? I mean, I would love to pick up the car on that date but I think that's almost impossible. Also, what happens if he can't deliver the car by the promised BY date? What would you suggest me do?

2)Also, the out of door figures he had given me when I put my deposit down was based on a 2012 model, but he crossed off the YEAR 2012 and wrote 2013. That was also WHY I told him I didn't mind waiting another month for a 2013 model.
He sent me the production number today along with another document showing 2013 prices, which was NOT part of our deal. I replied to him saying that we had negotiated everything on a 2012 price and that was not fair. He then replied back saying that the prices had gone up. I told him AGAIN that it was not part of our deal and he hasn't replied yet.
I'm buying the car, not leasing it. The MSRP is $49,445 and he gave me $2110 OFF, so I'm looking at $47,335 + tax and that's what we had NEGOTIATED. (And by the way, $2110 OFF MSRP wasn't even that much OFF, right? But, oh well....)
So, question #2 is, what can I do if he doesn't want to honor what we negotiated? What would you do?
I appreciate any input in advance.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:30 PM   #2
LAnderson23
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

If you are willing to wait, and therefore walk out and try to negotiate with another dealer than you have all the power. If you are anxious and want the car ASAP, he has the power. It's all down to a matter of how soon you want the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #3
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Honestly, I don't mind waiting. I just want things to be FAIR... I won't make a big deal, for example, if the car is delivered on the first week of SEP. I won't give them a hard time over a week. However, what is getting to me is the fact that he is trying to do me wrong here and take more of my money...
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL View Post
Honestly, I don't mind waiting. I just want things to be FAIR... I won't make a big deal, for example, if the car is delivered on the first week of SEP. I won't give them a hard time over a week. However, what is getting to me is the fact that he is trying to do me wrong here and take more of my money...
If he's offering you the same percentage discount off the new pricing, then he's not really taking more of your money.
Take the percentage off that he already gave, and apply the same percentage off of the new MSRP. The discount will be the same. The price difference will be BMW's price increase.

If you're not happy with the price increase and the discount, then cancel the order and shop a few more BMW dealers to get a better deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 10:41 PM   #5
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
If he's offering you the same percentage discount off the new pricing, then he's not really taking more of your money.
Take the percentage off that he already gave, and apply the same percentage off of the new MSRP. The discount will be the same. The price difference will be BMW's price increase.

If you're not happy with the price increase and the discount, then cancel the order and shop a few more BMW dealers to get a better deal.

Very well said RPM90! I'd do exactly what he said, check the percentage first before doing anything.

It should be the same...
      06-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #6
johntchow
#beastmodeallday
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX M60

CA cant guarantee delivery date. its out of his control. so many factors are involved. build time, shipping, problems at VDC arrival, etc. my CA also promised me i would get my car in 8 weeks because i had a lease turn in due in 12 weeks from order. my car took 12 weeks to get to VDC and then there was some damage so my car wasnt released from VDC about 2 weeks after my lease turn in.

my CA put me in a loaner. i didnt read your whole post so not sure what situation youre in, but i would just talk to your CA as the date gets closer. as long as you have committed to buy the car from them, they will most likely put you in a loaner if it doesnt arrive in time. i didnt put a down payment on my order but it was probably cause i had just leased an X3 from the same CA and was already pre-approved for my f30.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 04:23 AM   #7
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Quote:
You're not getting a 2013 for the 2012 price. Ain't gonna happen.

BTW, are you equally upset about the options that you get for LESS? Somehow I doubt it.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #8
T_Bone
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I don't get the sense that your CA is trying to screw you; I just get the sense that he's an idiot, and handled the situation poorly on several different levels. As others have suggested, just make sure you're getting the same percentage discount (or margin over invoice), or go elsewhere if you're uncomfortable with this dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Lets say your dealer has an allocation slot set for you to start production July 15th and I see that you are in Orlando then it might be possible to take delivery by end of August. See my timeline of how long it took from when the car actually went into production.

Week 5
03/29/12 - Production started

Week 6
added Sport Line Handbrake Grip
added M Performance black front grille
04/05/12 - Production Ends

Week 7
04/10/12 - In port

Week 8
04/19/12 - Vehicle Shipped

Week 9

Week 10
05/02/12 - Vehicle Arrived at US Port
05/04/12 - Finishing touches

Week 11
05/08/12 - Vehicle on truck to dealer
05/09/12 - Vehicle arrives at dealer
05/09/12 - Vehicle ready for pick up
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:26 PM   #10
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post

Yes, he is giving me the same percentage off. (Around 4.04% OFF MSRP)
The other BMW dealers were not giving me good deals to be honest with you. That's why I decided to go with the Ocala dealer vs the ones in Orlando.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:34 PM   #11
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ric124 View Post
Lets say your dealer has an allocation slot set for you to start production July 15th and I see that you are in Orlando then it might be possible to take delivery by end of August. See my timeline of how long it took from when the car actually went into production.

Week 5
03/29/12 - Production started

Week 6
added Sport Line Handbrake Grip
added M Performance black front grille
04/05/12 - Production Ends

Week 7
04/10/12 - In port

Week 8
04/19/12 - Vehicle Shipped

Week 9

Week 10
05/02/12 - Vehicle Arrived at US Port
05/04/12 - Finishing touches

Week 11
05/08/12 - Vehicle on truck to dealer
05/09/12 - Vehicle arrives at dealer
05/09/12 - Vehicle ready for pick up

Man, I hope you are right!! I can't wait to get the car.
It just sucks that the car and the options all went up for 2013.
I'm paying $400 more for the car, the Premium Package is now $2200 and the Technology Package went up to $3100!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25
Quote:

BTW, are you equally upset about the options that you get for LESS? Somehow I doubt it.

I really don't care for the extra stuff to be honest with you. I would rather pay $2550 for the Technology Package with just navigation and HUD then $3100 with all the extra stuff.
That's just me...
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #13
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL
Quote:
Quote:

I really don't care for the extra stuff to be honest with you. I would rather pay $2550 for the Technology Package with just navigation and HUD then $3100 with all the extra stuff.
That's just me...
You can get the nav separate. And the price increases include more stuff than the 2012.

Did you factor in Ocala's higher dealer fee over Fields?
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #14
jddssc121
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: vroom

4% off ain't that good of a deal anyhow........ I'd walk
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:01 PM   #15
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayusaFL
Quote:
Quote:

That's just me...
You can get the nav separate. And the price increases include more stuff than the 2012.

Did you factor in Ocala's higher dealer fee over Fields?

He waived it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #16
ric124
Colonel
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 BSM MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
He waived it.
I got a little over 5% off in pembroke pines if you willing to drive I can hook u up on my CA.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:25 PM   #17
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
The other BMW dealers were not giving me good deals to be honest with you. That's why I decided to go with the Ocala dealer vs the ones in Orlando.
Since the car isn't in production yet, go over the options list again to take into account the package differences.
You may find you want to make some changes.

And/or, since you were under the impression that the price would be the same, ask if he'll meet you half way in the difference between what you agreed to pay and what the new total is.

You just wrote that the increase was only about $400. But, you also said he waived their high dealer fee, so that's a good thing.
That's not really a big amount. Since he didn't give you a tremendous discount to being with then tell him to take $200 off and call it a deal.
He's got a nice profit and you got a nice car.
Or, let it go but tell him to promise you a loaner if your car doesn't come in by the time he promised.
They may do this anyway, but if he promises in writing to give you a loaner while you're waiting, then that has real value too as you won't have to rent or borrow a ride.

Trying to pinch every penny can lead to a sour relationship.
Yes, dealerships shouldn't do that, but if they don't like you, then they can make it difficult to get loaner cars if they get pissy about it.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jddssc121
4% off ain't that good of a deal anyhow........ I'd walk
Correction, it was 4.56% OFF MSRP. I wish it was higher though but Fields wouldn't even do 3%.
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90
Quote:
Since the car isn't in production yet, go over the options list again to take into account the package differences.
You may find you want to make some changes.

And/or, since you were under the impression that the price would be the same, ask if he'll meet you half way in the difference between what you agreed to pay and what the new total is.

You just wrote that the increase was only about $400. But, you also said he waived their high dealer fee, so that's a good thing.
That's not really a big amount. Since he didn't give you a tremendous discount to being with then tell him to take $200 off and call it a deal.
He's got a nice profit and you got a nice car.
Or, let it go but tell him to promise you a loaner if your car doesn't come in by the time he promised.
They may do this anyway, but if he promises in writing to give you a loaner while you're waiting, then that has real value too as you won't have to rent or borrow a ride.

Trying to pinch every penny can lead to a sour relationship.
Yes, dealerships shouldn't do that, but if they don't like you, then they can make it difficult to get loaner cars if they get pissy about it.

I will definitely go over the options with him. See, this FORUM has helped me sooo much. I didn't know I could get Navigation ONLY. I thought I had to pay for the package.
I'm really new to all this.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #20
jims2321
Rep
Drives: 1994 Mustang GT Vert

Ray,

Sounds like you have a lot of doubts and questions. Before you sign anything, sit down and rerun the numbers. As some have pointed out, while the price between the 2012 and 2013 has change, so have the option packages and their associated prices. You might try configuring a 2013 model on bmwconfig website to get a idea of what a car that you would like should cost. It will have the a pretty good MSRP and invoice prices (might be some variances). Then take the print out and sit down with the CA and go thru the print out line by line. Remember you are talking about 40K +, better to get it right, then try to fix it later.

Jim
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 11:45 AM   #21
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Correction, it was 4.56% OFF MSRP. I wish it was higher though but Fields wouldn't even do 3%.
I got 5.2% off from Fields, but that included the BMW Summer Drive discount.

I could have gotten cheaper elsewhere in the state, but I'll get it back with free food and car washes!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #22
rayusaFL
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jims2321
Ray,

Sounds like you have a lot of doubts and questions. Before you sign anything, sit down and rerun the numbers. As some have pointed out, while the price between the 2012 and 2013 has change, so have the option packages and their associated prices. You might try configuring a 2013 model on bmwconfig website to get a idea of what a car that you would like should cost. It will have the a pretty good MSRP and invoice prices (might be some variances). Then take the print out and sit down with the CA and go thru the print out line by line. Remember you are talking about 40K +, better to get it right, then try to fix it later.

Jim

Thank you for your input Jim.
I think that's the best thing to do...
Appreciate 0