BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - Midwest / Rockies

06-18-2012, 08:55 PM   #1
DiavelM3
4 Star General -Twilight Zone
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP

Powder coating wheels - Denver shops?

Anyone know of any good shops in town that powder coat wheels?

I tried calling a few places so far:
1. Keystone auto - doesn't powder coat
2. SVE Auto in Broomfield - doesn't powder coat
3. Tru Design - will powder coat for $165 per wheel.

I'm just looking to see what other shops might be out there or recommended?
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2012, 10:34 AM   #2
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

My buddy says that this shop is pretty good:

Blast-Tech Inc Auto Paint
(303) 806-9992
3775 S Kalamath St, Englewood, CO 80110
      06-19-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_SID View Post
My buddy says that this shop is pretty good:

Blast-Tech Inc Auto Paint
(303) 806-9992
3775 S Kalamath St, Englewood, CO 80110
Thanks SID, I'll give them a call.
Past - '84 Ferrari 308 GTSI | '88 Ferrari 328 GTS | '05 Dodge Viper Copperhead Edition #180/300 | Audi S4
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 04:15 PM   #4
blonde79
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '16 Golf R

Just wondering if you ever used this shop. I took my car in for service after 1200mi and when I washed my car I found a bit of road rash on the passenger front tire. I called my service dept and took the car back in to show them. Of course they assured me there was NO way this happened at the dealer. I call shenanigans but I don't have a heck of a lot of recourse. I did the walk around before and they confirmed no damage prior. I left the dealer that day (my service guy was busy and I needed to leave for an appt) without inspecting in detail - looked fine on walk around.

I only actually found the damage while washing the wheels. I'd have never noticed it if not for putting my hands on the wheel. I did tell them it's not my daily driver, I haven't parallel parked it yet nor parked it next to a curb but of course they said it wasn't them so had to be me.

Anyway...original question, have you used this shop or found another that can powder coat wheels?
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde79 View Post
Just wondering if you ever used this shop. I took my car in for service after 1200mi and when I washed my car I found a bit of road rash on the passenger front tire. I called my service dept and took the car back in to show them. Of course they assured me there was NO way this happened at the dealer. I call shenanigans but I don't have a heck of a lot of recourse. I did the walk around before and they confirmed no damage prior. I left the dealer that day (my service guy was busy and I needed to leave for an appt) without inspecting in detail - looked fine on walk around.

I only actually found the damage while washing the wheels. I'd have never noticed it if not for putting my hands on the wheel. I did tell them it's not my daily driver, I haven't parallel parked it yet nor parked it next to a curb but of course they said it wasn't them so had to be me.

Anyway...original question, have you used this shop or found another that can powder coat wheels?
Hey Blonde, I called this shop but they apparently "prep" the wheels first and then send it to the shop located right behind them to get the powder coating done.
You have to bring them the wheels too. You can't just drop your car off and have them remove the wheels.
In the end, this seemed to be too much work (too many shops getting involved in this task) so, I purchased a set of brand new OEM ZCP Silver colored wheels at a fantastic price and sold my grey colored OEM ZCP wheels to a member on this forum.
I was going to have my Grey wheels powder coated silver (like the Original color OEM ZCP's)
I called around town and asked a couple other shops but there wasn't many that did that kind of work
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
blonde79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks for the reply. The service dept here is looking for a place too. Apparently they'd used a couple in town and had issues. I may just have to live w/it til I can find somewhere reputable. I'm really glad I won't need service for a while b/c I'm not confident this won't happen again. Such is life, it's only a car but I do wish they respect that I'm a customer and treat my car decent...or at least be reasonable after the fact.

Thanks again for your input.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 05:54 PM   #7
DiavelM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blonde79 View Post
Thanks for the reply. The service dept here is looking for a place too. Apparently they'd used a couple in town and had issues. I may just have to live w/it til I can find somewhere reputable. I'm really glad I won't need service for a while b/c I'm not confident this won't happen again. Such is life, it's only a car but I do wish they respect that I'm a customer and treat my car decent...or at least be reasonable after the fact.

Thanks again for your input.
Sorry to hear about your troubles Blonde79. What shop did you take it to?
I've taken my cars to Murray Motors or Ralph Schomp BMW for regular services and have had great service from both dealerships.
I hope it all turns out for you!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #8
blonde79
Enlisted Member
Rep

I live in the Springs so I took it to Winslow. This was my first service experience there so it's a bummer. I'm not opposed to driving a bit further for service considering how infrequent but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I'm glad you've had good experiences and will take Murray or Schomp into consideration later on.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:30 AM   #9
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

The only advice I can offer you is not to take your wheels to Spec Wheels. They used to be really good, but now their work is not very good and their attitude is awful.
About the service experience. It seems to me that you don't know for sure if the dealership damaged your wheel or not. You said yourself that you didn't even notice it until you were washing your car. I don't know if you have lived in Colorado Springs very long, but the roads here are so bad that I damaged 3 of the wheels on my M3 in 2,000 miles when I had it. I don't know if they damaged your wheels or not, but I do think it's in bad taste to blame someone else when you aren't sure if they did it or not. In the end only you can make that decision. Just thought I'd chime in and tell you not to take your wheels to Spec wheels. The rest of my post is just opinion.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #10
blonde79
Enlisted Member
Rep

Appreciate your input. I think my service experience was tainted when I called to ask them for input on who to take it to for a fix. I told him I'd gotten my car home and washed it and found the damage. I told him I didn't know how it happened but that I wanted to know who they used to fix wheels. First he said they didn't have a tire guy they'd had good luck with and that "I don't know how it happened to your wheel but I'm not admitting to anything". I didn't accuse him nor was I expecting him to jump up and offer to amend the damage, and I told him the same thing. I was then handed off to another adviser and haven't heard from the original guy since.

Such is life. It's only a car and not a huge deal.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #11
Chrisfast
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Moped

Ah. That does clear it up a bit. I definitely don't like it when I call someone to ask a question and they get defensive. On another note, if I hear of a good wheel person I'll chime in. It really sucks that Spec went south so fast. My wife curbed her 335 the first week she got it. They made the wheel look brand new. When I sent another wheel to them from my car they gave it back and it actually looked worse than when I gave it them. I said something to the lady and she responded by saying the manager thought it looked fine and they weren't going to do anything else about it. Wow! Great cusomer service. Anyway, I feel your pain and hope that you get your wheel fixed soon. It may be just a car (I definitely agree with that statment by the way), but it's a really nice car. :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 12:59 PM   #12
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiavelM3 View Post
Anyone know of any good shops in town that powder coat wheels?

I tried calling a few places so far:
1. Keystone auto - doesn't powder coat
2. SVE Auto in Broomfield - doesn't powder coat
3. Tru Design - will powder coat for $165 per wheel.

I'm just looking to see what other shops might be out there or recommended?
I've used Applied Plastic Coatings in Wheatridge on a number of occasions for wheel powdercoating, as well as ceramic coating exhaust manifolds and piston tops.

http://appliedplastic.com/

303-424-9200
Applied Plastic Coatings, Inc.
5000 Tabor St.
Wheat Ridge, Colorado 80033

Their pricing is competitive. They will give you a better price if you bring in a job for coating more than one set of wheels at once (in the same color). I would rate the quality of work I've received from them over about a decade at between 7.5 to 9 out of 10. That's not bad—if you're picky about details like me, it's very hard to find any place that consistently does work that completely satisfies you, regardless of whether we're talking about a service shop, a body shop, a window tinter, or a powdercoater.

Also, if you care about wheel weight, you should mention that you'd prefer the minimum amount of powder applied that will provide adequate color consistency, and not to bother coating the insides of the wheels (the part that won't be seen once the tires are on)... if the powder is laid on really heavy, it can add a substantial amount of weight... over 1/3 of a pound in one example where I weighed the wheel before and after—and that was on a relatively small 17" wheel.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 09:42 PM   #13
dnvrdrvr
Captain Obvious
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 VW GTI SE

Hey Hsun, whatcha doing out here? You trading the Evo or the Civic in for an E92 M3?
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:07 PM   #14
EGbeater
IG: @panda_exprs
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 DCT, E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrdrvr View Post
Hey Hsun, whatcha doing out here? You trading the Evo or the Civic in for an E92 M3?
Exactly! I'm assuming I can find someone here to do straight-across trade... I'll even throw in all my Harbor Freight tools they'll need to work on 'em.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 06:47 PM   #15
COMplex
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [10.00]
2016 Aprilia Tuono ...  [10.00]
Check out Colortuned

http://www.colortuned.com