F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > As of today, there is no way to use Android phones with BMW apps correct?
Studio RSR

06-27-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

As of today, there is no way to use Android phones with BMW apps correct?

And when I say that I mean not having to buy a separate Iphone to funnel everything through as a go around, correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
martianpc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i

I believe you are correct. Really ticks me off
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #3
Spikey
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: erratically

Damnit, would be highly awesome if we did have it on our android phones...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #4
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

You'd think BMW could afford a few K to develop the android version, i guess they are streched too thin giving us all those cheap options ...
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:02 AM   #5
F30SD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Waiting on 335i MG Sportline

I agree. Where is my android app??
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Apple is probably more popular in Europe and even here in the US. Android came late on the scene. I imagine as Android entrenches itself more into the marketplace, you'll see BMW open things up to Android as well. Other companies are already including Android apps. American Express started out with Apple apps only at first, then a year later they probably realized that more and more people own Android phones and started development for Android Apps. BMW can't afford to be a one-phone app-car. People, Android and Apple owners, pay too much money for that.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
verbs
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

I'm about to order my car and don't want to not get BMW apps if it's never going to work with my android phone. Question is, can it be added on at a later date?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 04:06 PM   #8
arnsbrae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 520d

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
Apple is probably more popular in Europe and even here in the US. Android came late on the scene. I imagine as Android entrenches itself more into the marketplace, you'll see BMW open things up to Android as well. Other companies are already including Android apps. American Express started out with Apple apps only at first, then a year later they probably realized that more and more people own Android phones and started development for Android Apps. BMW can't afford to be a one-phone app-car. People, Android and Apple owners, pay too much money for that.
All true but the problem with Android is that there are too many versions on too many different kinds of hardware. Which ones should BWW develop for?

Last edited by arnsbrae; 06-29-2012 at 05:14 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 05:50 PM   #9
adelphi_sky
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 328i Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
All true but the problem with Android s that there are too many versions on too many different kinds of hardware. Which ones should BWW develop for?

Android is an operating system that runs on many different models. Apple chose to be exclusionary and exclusive. Hey, that works for some. But all android phones need is a USB. The only problem I see is with docking molds to fit different phones. But I'm sure people would be okay with laying their phone down in a tray and connecting it via USB. I mean these are German engineers with PhDs. I'm sure they can figure it out.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 12:35 PM   #10
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
I'm about to order my car and don't want to not get BMW apps if it's never going to work with my android phone. Question is, can it be added on at a later date?
I wouldn't hold my breath. BMW can only offer the "Apps" feature because Apple has built special features into iOS that allow external access and external display (for example, the "Plugin" part of the Apps feature is actually an iOS feature, not a BMW feature).

That being said, I am not aware of anything similar being present in Android. Google needs to implement something like that first.

As for other features, like being able to remote control your car through a Smartphone app, that's all up to BMW of course.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2012, 09:42 PM   #11
Fastlanekaty
fastlanekaty
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question Samsung Galaxy Nexus won't sync

I have a 335i which has supported the Droid X for a couple of years. Yesterday I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and can't get them to sync. Has anyone else had this problem?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:06 PM   #12
funkahdafi
First Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: Z4 (E89) sDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastlanekaty View Post
I have a 335i which has supported the Droid X for a couple of years. Yesterday I upgraded to the Samsung Galaxy Nexus and can't get them to sync. Has anyone else had this problem?
We're not talking about phone compatibility here, we are talkin about app availability.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 02:54 PM   #13
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by verbs View Post
And when I say that I mean not having to buy a separate Iphone to funnel everything through as a go around, correct?
Just get a cheap ipod touch (as long as it can be updated to ios5 minimal), works like a charm with me

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:02 PM   #14
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Assuming the iPhone app works on the iPod Touch, perhaps you could try this ...

1 - Turn on the mobile hotspot / tethering on the Android phone
2 - Have your Ipod Touch / old Iphone connect to that wireless hotspot
3 - Run the apps that require network connectivity on the iPod Touch like normal

I have a similar setup in my current Mazda with the Pioneer AVH-P5200BT head unit and it seems to work well w/ Pandora and Spotify.

Just an idea
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #15
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrazVT View Post
Assuming the iPhone app works on the iPod Touch, perhaps you could try this ...

1 - Turn on the mobile hotspot / tethering on the Android phone
2 - Have your Ipod Touch / old Iphone connect to that wireless hotspot
3 - Run the apps that require network connectivity on the iPod Touch like normal

I have a similar setup in my current Mazda with the Pioneer AVH-P5200BT head unit and it seems to work well w/ Pandora and Spotify.

Just an idea
It works, I actually have a similar setup

It can even be done fully automated: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651149

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #16
PrazVT
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M240i 6mt (soon)

Awesome!
Appreciate 0