M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Cosmetic Maintenance (wash/wax, protection, repairs)

06-28-2012, 07:01 PM   #1
BMWM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

how do you wash your f10

one question guys, how do You wash your car in term of product and how frequent? I got mine waxes before i took it , when should i wax it again?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #2
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5
one question guys, how do You wash your car in term of product and how frequent? I got mine waxes before i took it , when should i wax it again?
Depends on the climate. In hotter climates wax can last as little as 4 weeks. In cooler climates you can go 3 months.

That said wax is not the way to go these days. These days you have permanent protective coatings which enhance gloss and also protect the paint from acid rain, acidic substances, bird shit, mineral etch marks, etc.

The best of these coatings is CQuartz Finest. Opticoat is pretty good too. I would get one of those. I have CQuartz on mine and haven't needed a refresh since I bought it last December. The water still beads better than any waxed finish and the gloss is superb (see pics). Beats the hell out of the Swissvax Shield I used to use on my previous car.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606703

Last edited by stealth.pilot; 06-28-2012 at 11:03 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #3
mhh
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Audi RS6

Meguiars Gold Class shampoo if I'm feeling energetic or a cashwash cafe if I'm not. Wax? Forget it. Maybe once a year. It gets washed once a week though, if not more.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
BMWM5
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

Thanks guys
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #5
jenks89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot View Post
Depends on the climate. In hotter climates wax can last as little as 4 weeks. In cooler climates you can go 3 months.

That said wax is not the way to go these days. These days you have permanent protective coatings which enhance gloss and also protect the paint from acid rain, acidic substances, bird shit, mineral etch marks, etc.

The best of these coatings is CQuartz Finest. Opticoat is pretty good too. I would get one of those. I have CQuartz on mine and haven't needed a refresh since I bought it last December. The water still beads better than any waxed finish and the gloss is superb (see pics). Beats the hell out of the Swissvax Shield I used to use on my previous car.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=606703
Anyone have experience with some of the protective coatings? My detail guy has been pushing the Opticoat lately...

2012 535i Jet Black M Sport
2011 335i Retired
2008 Range Rover SC
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 08:27 AM   #6
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks89 View Post
Anyone have experience with some of the protective coatings? My detail guy has been pushing the Opticoat lately...
I have been using the CQuartz. Not the new CQuartz finest, but the regular one. I have three layers on my car.

The gloss and beading is fantastic. However it does not protect the car from marring. I will probably have to redo the hood after a year because of marring (I.e. a few light swirls from washing). Te rest f the car s pretty much mint though. I was a strong Swissvax advocate before, but this stuff is much better,

I have my eye on 2 coating products for my M5: either CQuartz Finest, or Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body. There is a forum member who just started using Hard Body on his 5GT and it seems to provide real scratch protection in addition to very good water repellency.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2012, 10:28 PM   #7
TexMark
ICH LIEBE BMW!!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Soon a new M5!!

Just curious...

I found CQuartz's website (products look fantastic, btw) but if I am reading it correctly, there is currently no distribution for the product in the US...am I missing something??

Cheers,
      07-04-2012, 10:47 PM   #8
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMark View Post
Just curious...

I found CQuartz's website (products look fantastic, btw) but if I am reading it correctly, there is currently no distribution for the product in the US...am I missing something??

Cheers,
The product has been available through Autogeek and Detailed Image. On my 550i I ordered it last December and had my detailer apply 3 coats.

Apparently they just appointed a US distributor out of Florida, so I am sure there will be broader distribution of the professional product soon (the professional product is CQuartz Finest).

That said the Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body product looks excellent too.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
cmhsam
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 F90 M5

So this is my first car that I am going to wash myself and not put through any type of car wash. If I want to get the foundational pieces of washing equipment any list of items that I will need? I assume I will need a good lambswool wash mit, microfibers cloths for drying, pressure washer. Any good suggestions for soap? How about items to clean wheels?
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexMark View Post
Just curious...

Cheers,
The product has been available through Autogeek and Detailed Image. On my 550i I ordered it last December and had my detailer apply 3 coats.

Apparently they just appointed a US distributor out of Florida, so I am sure there will be broader distribution of the professional product soon (the professional product is CQuartz Finest).

That said the Wolf's Chemicals Hard Body product looks excellent too.
Stealth, do you use these products in conjunction with your Xpel clear bra? Or only use CQuartz on the areas not wrapped in the film?
      10-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #11
Photoman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30, 2013 E70

Garage List
2013 BMW X5 35d  [0.00]
2012 BMW 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhsam View Post
So this is my first car that I am going to wash myself and not put through any type of car wash. If I want to get the foundational pieces of washing equipment any list of items that I will need? I assume I will need a good lambswool wash mit, microfibers cloths for drying, pressure washer. Any good suggestions for soap? How about items to clean wheels?
Id get the car opti-coated first then regular washes with optimum no rinse.
It's a fantastic product!!
      10-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Dudes,

I have researched Opt-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz extensively and I am interested in both products. CQuartz seems to have some extremely good anti-scratch properties and as far as I can tell Opti-Coat 2.0 has anti-scratch properties as well.

I am wondering if one were to apply the Opti-Coat 2.0 on first as a permanent coating and then apply CQuartz on top of that, if that would even work.

Seems to me so far that we should do one or the other, and maybe not necessarily both.

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 05:42 PM   #13
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Dudes,

I have researched Opt-Coat 2.0 and CQuartz extensively and I am interested in both products. CQuartz seems to have some extremely good anti-scratch properties and as far as I can tell Opti-Coat 2.0 has anti-scratch properties as well.

I am wondering if one were to apply the Opti-Coat 2.0 on first as a permanent coating and then apply CQuartz on top of that, if that would even work.

Seems to me so far that we should do one or the other, and maybe not necessarily both.
There's no reason to apply both. Just applying Opti-Coat 2 is more than enough. Opti-Coat is great if you don't plan on regularly applying a wax or sealant.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:04 PM   #14
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
There's no reason to apply both. Just applying Opti-Coat 2 is more than enough. Opti-Coat is great if you don't plan on regularly applying a wax or sealant.
Ok, yes that was part of my question also I guess. So I guess if we just apply Opti-Coat 2.0 as an initial permenant coating on our brand new 2013 M5's we shouldn't have to worry about waxing or sealants for the duration of our ownership. I guess my concern was that the Opti-Coat 2.0 didn't have the same scratch protection qualities as CQuartz. I guess I will just be ordering the Opti-Coat 2.0 then. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #15
eclipsisNA
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Estoril 328i M Sport

Garage List
2014 BMW 428i  [7.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Ok, yes that was part of my question also I guess. So I guess if we just apply Opti-Coat 2.0 as an initial permenant coating on our brand new 2013 M5's we shouldn't have to worry about waxing or sealants for the duration of our ownership. I guess my concern was that the Opti-Coat 2.0 didn't have the same scratch protection qualities as CQuartz. I guess I will just be ordering the Opti-Coat 2.0 then. Thanks!
Opti-Coat the car and you're good to go for anywhere from 1 to 2 years. Durability depends on several factors like how you wash the car and environment.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2012, 12:06 PM   #16
RPiM5
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipsisNA View Post
Opti-Coat the car and you're good to go for anywhere from 1 to 2 years. Durability depends on several factors like how you wash the car and environment.
I just ordered the Opti-Coat 2.0. Should be here by the time I get my M5 back. I live in San Diego, and the environment here is not harsh at all. It hardly ever rains here and I will be keeping my M5 in the garage all the time. I'm just worried about scratches, but I like the idea of protecting the clearcoat so I all I have to do is wash it in the future. I hate the idea of paying someone or taking the time all day myself to wax my cars.

Appreciate 0