F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Sound system break in
ARMA SPEED

07-17-2012, 05:27 AM   #1
TF30Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30

Sound system break in

Hi all I'm considering purchasing the Harman Kardon system for my new F30 and was wondering whether I will need to "break in" the speakers like an engine??

Any tips for using a brand new sound system?

Regards.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #2
TonyS
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

In an electrodynamic driver featuring the usual surround-diaphragm-spider construction, driver suspension mechanical compliance plays a key roll in determining the measured value of various driver parameters. All of these parameters will shift as the mechanical compliance of the driver's suspension shifts in value. The bulk of a driver's compliance shift will occur at the time of initial burn in.

Subsequent shifts in compliance are largely temporary in nature. An example of one such mechanism contributing to such temporary shifts is that which arise from the elastic deformation of butadiene-styrene surrounds. Given sufficient time to recover, these changes tend to reverse themselves and the driver returns to its pre-stimulus state.

As the enclosure compliance in both totally enclosed boxes and vented cabinets dominates that of the driver for most practical implementations of either type enclosure currently in production, any potential changes in system amplitude response attributable to changes in driver suspension mechanical compliance tend to be minimized. Normal production unit-to-unit driver spec variances can affect final amplitude response of a system to a larger degree than that expected from normal pre- post-burn in driver suspension compliance changes.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
jwickers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328i GT

Break In ? On a high end home system, maybe, in a car ? it won't change a thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #4
TF30Z
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D F30

Okay so just play it normally from the first day?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #5
RobUK
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 340i MPPSK

Garage List
Just make sure you don't play any Cheeky Girls or Justin Bieber otherwise you may damage your hearing

Life is a state of mind
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 02:13 PM   #6
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwickers View Post
Break In ? On a high end home system, maybe, in a car ? it won't change a thing.
What's the difference? People debate whether or not break-in is a real thing but it would affect a car's system the same as a home system. Some audio manufacturers say there is no such thing as break in while others say there is (my Sennheiser headphones came with a note saying they won't sound their best for the first 200 hours!)

At any rate, break-in refers to the improvement in sound over the first several days. You don't need to break-in a sound system by treating it any differently, just listen to music as you normally would and you may or may not notice its sound improve.
Appreciate 0