ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-31-2012, 02:42 AM   #1
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Here are a few laps from my outing a couple of week's back. I still have a lot to work on (I'm still a noob with only 8 track days), but I'm consistently turning 2:14/2:15 laps on the standard configuration (over the top of 5). I'm not so concerned with the time (can't say I'm unhappy either), but rather that it's consistent now, which is an improvement. I really need to work on turn 8, and to a lesser degree turns 7, 9, and 14. There's improvement there over my last time at the track, but damn, just about everything could be better! Like Dubbedown (aka DSC_OFF) said, you quickly learn how much skill is involved.

Equipment:
Very tired 235/265 Star Specs (almost corded by end of day), ATE Blue fluid, StopTech Street Performance Pads, -2.7 front (washers), 1/16th toe-out, -1.7 rear, 1/16th toe-in, stock springs and dampers, stock wheels.

Special thanks to SeanK for letting me ride along for several sessions in the Advanced Group and for providing some coaching to me from the passenger seat while I drove in the Intermediate Group. Definitely helped me improve my line into several corners, gave me things to practice and think about (no, still don't have all of them down). Seeing better drivers in action, in the same car, really gives you a sense of what is possible.

I'm open to any input from more experienced drivers! You'll notice my line though the esses varies: sometimes I go through, sometimes I don't "cut". This is intentional, and for practice.

The following were taken later in the day, and while the lap time is similar to the one above, the car in front of me forced me to slow (or put me a bit off-line passing). My lines are a bit better, so overall it's an improvement I think (after reviewing them it looks like I've cleaned up a few things--not all--but a few).

Here's a bit of fun with a Miata. Watch how the rear end of the Miata gets loose coming out of turn 2 but he keeps it from stepping out too much. Really caught up to him out of 6 and into 7, had to back off into 8, and even so, bit closer than I'd like exiting 8.

Gaining on I think is an RX7 (not the main objective, keeping my lines and keeping smooth inputs were the goals). Guy was pretty even with me most of the day, I think he may have been headed back in and just slowed and pointed me by.

One of my faster laps of the day, with SeanK, who points out several things that I need to work on (turn 9 in particular).

Bottom line, still need to slow down in a bit more a few corners with a better line, to get greater speed out. Improving, but a lot more work to do!

Last edited by Finnegan; 11-03-2012 at 07:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 10:37 AM   #2
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
Nice vids!

Yes, we all know catching a particular car is the least of concerns but who can deny it's fun?!

I'm really jealous of you west coast folks, track days are 1/3rd the price of us (probably b/c facilities are open all year so fixed costs more easily recovered).
      07-31-2012, 11:42 AM   #3
Finnegan
Dog Listener
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M/. Z3M, E36/46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSC_OFF View Post
Nice vids!

Yes, we all know catching a particular car is the least of concerns but who can deny it's fun?!

I'm really jealous of you west coast folks, track days are 1/3rd the price of us (probably b/c facilities are open all year so fixed costs more easily recovered).
Yeah, can't deny it is fun!

I hadn't thought about those cost dynamics, but that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2012, 11:47 PM   #4
seank
enthusiast
Rep
Drives: e30 m3,e90 wagon,sprinter,z4m

How about 3 tracks within 3 hours and 2 of them are within 1.5 hours (laguna seca and infineon raceway).

Ron, you were doing awesome. You are at that point where you will learn the most on your own. Keep reading those books you have and I have some more if you want to borrow them.

I was just glad to be out there with someone who was familiar with the car, it being the first time in the z4mc on the track. Definately not as fast as the e30m3, but a lot of fun.
Appreciate 0