E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Plasma coils on 335i or other

07-16-2007, 02:32 PM   #1
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep
Drives: Not a bimmer yet

Plasma coils on 335i or other

Hi guys,
a few days ago Jeff mentioned s/t about plasma coils ignition boosters getting prepared to go public. Well, I asked him what's that about - and received no answer. Thx Jeff.

Anyway, I did UTFG and found some really brief info on it, mostly marketing only one dyno... ehm, not chart, I had to do the chart by myself, so a dyno table, showing s/t like 12hp/12ftlb increase on a V8 supercharged mustang + mentioned sideways that on similar N/A car it was 4HP/0TQ... right after that I found some japanese company selling 3 variations of I am not really sure what are they about - some plasma booster, plasma direct and plasma spark or what.

They have an application list available on their website, of course when I compared BMW prices with let's say a subbie, it was double (we are getting used to that, don't we?), the first two products were for 1200$...

So, guys, I am just curious, if U have some experiences - direct or indirect - with the plasma coils, or opinions, pls, share.

Some links:
older article, containing an interview with the inventor
http://www.autofieldguide.com/articles/100202.html
recent manufacturer
http://www.okadaprojects.com/usa/products.htm
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 03:35 PM   #2
StrikeTheMatch
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335

Interesting article. I have no direct experience with this technology. It seems like this would have a much greater effect on a conventionally injected engine rather than a direct injected one. My reasoning being that since the fuel air mixture is much more uniformly distributed in the cylinder in a conventional setup, increases in delivered spark energy result in a faster burn. The net effect would be the same as allowing one to advance the timing a few degrees.

For direct injection, in many cases the fuel is not evenly distributed in the cylinder at the start of ignition and the fuel can be sprayed very late in the compression cycle. Given that I am not sure what effect simply increasing the delivered spark energy would have.

Then again, this is just a guess on my part and should not be construed as fact.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 03:57 PM   #3
grkm3
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m3

I ran them on my e36 M3,my only problem is they said that the car would have no isssues with them,after a while people found out that they threw the whole ingnition feedback system into a haze and made the car not have adaptation.

I thought they went out of buisnes,I want to throw an email at them for making my car run lean and almost blowing a headgasket.

edit the company I had were ignition solutions,I don't know if these are the same guys.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 04:05 PM   #4
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

they bought it from them in 2003, anyway, the original webpage is still operational. The content matches almost 100% LOL
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

imo the idea is great, but it would need some deeper integration with the ECU to take full advantage of it. Imagine an engine like the N54, @ 6000 rpm, with it's cylinder full of fresh HP cooled air, getting a nice squirt of gas inside @ the right moment, than getting a nice series of lets say 10-15 sparks in an eyewink, burning everything it has within the most effective part of the piston's path... almost erotic
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
I didn't want to get all tangled up in this guys, but these "plasma coils" have been around in one variation or another for years now. Basically they take the stock coil, add an LED, monkey around with the circuit a bit and then sell it to you for an arm and a leg. They tend to fail, they tend to make no power, and they tend to cause strange issues. If you aren't having any misfiring problems, they don't do anything. Increased fuel economy is placebo, the power gains are minimal at best. Please research this one carefully, its about as bad as the "turbonator" and you'll see lots of glowing reviews on that little piece of history. The power of persuasion is very real.
      07-17-2007, 09:16 PM   #7
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
I didn't want to get all tangled up in this guys, but these "plasma coils" have been around in one variation or another for years now. Basically they take the stock coil, add an LED, monkey around with the circuit a bit and then sell it to you for an arm and a leg. They tend to fail, they tend to make no power, and they tend to cause strange issues. If you aren't having any misfiring problems, they don't do anything. Increased fuel economy is placebo, the power gains are minimal at best. Please research this one carefully, its about as bad as the "turbonator" and you'll see lots of glowing reviews on that little piece of history. The power of persuasion is very real.
Depends on the car, obviously. We'll just have to wait for the dynos. As an example - with an MSD unit installed on an RX-7, I did indeed get over 2 MPG better (from 15 to 17) and higher top-end HP. A very good drag racer named Adam Saruwatari convinced me to install mine. But that car was a completely different machine...

Last edited by zenmaster; 07-17-2007 at 11:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2007, 11:25 PM   #8
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
I agree with you Zen, however an MSD on a Rotary engine, which is difficult to ignite the mixture across the entire rotor anyway (reason for leading and trailing spark plugs) with a distro is quite a different application. MSD boxes do tend to make a difference, but mostly when the stock system is maxxed.

Anyway, I've said my piece.
      07-17-2007, 11:39 PM   #9
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
I agree with you Zen, however an MSD on a Rotary engine, which is difficult to ignite the mixture across the entire rotor anyway (reason for leading and trailing spark plugs) with a distro is quite a different application. MSD boxes do tend to make a difference, but mostly when the stock system is maxxed.

Anyway, I've said my piece.
+1

If you're not misfiring, an "upgraded" ignition system will do nothing for you. I also had a 3rd gen RX7 that benefited from an HKS twin spark. But that was because the factory ignition system simply couldn't get the spark to bridge the gap above 6500rpm at full boost. It would audible misfire and fall flat on its face. This is not the case with the 335i so I'm not sure what the advantage of any type of ignition mod would have.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 04:13 AM   #10
judec
born to be turbocharged
Slovakia
Rep

Well, thank U guys for your valuable inputs. Now I'm really curious, what miracle is going to be shown by eurobahn. I wonder if Jeff just missed this thread, or he wants to keep his stuff secret, ot he is ignoring it completely
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2007, 07:17 AM   #11
zenmaster
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
I wonder if Jeff just missed this thread, or he wants to keep his stuff secret, ot he is ignoring it completely
Or, they simply don't know currently, due to lack of availability and/or measurements?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff, only 4 days ago
What's really going to be interesting is to see how these cars run with our new Plasma Coil packs coming very soon. The super voltage and high amperage discharge should liven up all of the tuning options out there.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #12
glamprecht
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 330iE90, F15X5, F25X3, F15X5

If it was really that good they would have designed it into the M3...

Was this not on one of the Myth Busters as well. I saw this tested with all those other power improvement/fuel saver stuff.
      08-27-2007, 03:10 PM   #13
DKLA60
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson e93 335i

Found this on http://www.eurobahn.us/plasmadirectcoils.html

I tried researching it here and ran into this thread... I thought you might be interested in taking a look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judec View Post
Well, thank U guys for your valuable inputs. Now I'm really curious, what miracle is going to be shown by eurobahn. I wonder if Jeff just missed this thread, or he wants to keep his stuff secret, ot he is ignoring it completely
Appreciate 0