F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Confused!
GetBMWParts

08-26-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 wheeler

Confused!

My mum's 320d M Sport has arrived and we get it in a few days.

I'm confused about what options we have for iPhone and iPod connectivity.

The car has the professional nav system but I don't think it has the apps option.

My mum has an iPhone 4 and an iPod Nano.

There are 2 options that we are considering:

1. Just use the iPhone and ditch the iPod Nano. Can you use the iPhone completely on Bluetooth for hands free calls and music streaming or do you need to use bluetooth for calls and the white iPhone dock cable for music playback?
If the snap-in adapter was bought does this remove the need for the Bluetooth or is it still needed for calls?

2. Use the iPod nano with the white dock cable for music and the iPhone via Bluetooth for calls. The iPhone would most likely be kept in my mum's bag if this combination was used.

Sorry if this thread confuses people. I'm certainly confused! lol
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 04:12 AM   #2
Drk280
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

You should pick your tech options when you buy your car, I wouldn't let my mother pick the options I'd end up with no air con if I did and am radio only. With prof nav you will be able to Bluetooth connect your phone for music streaming. If I'm correct you need the cradle to get other things like vid stream or album covers
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 06:00 AM   #3
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

It's her car. She picked the options, with advice from me.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2012, 07:41 PM   #4
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Will the cradle show album art without the BMW Apps option on the car?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:21 AM   #5
levente
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport

If you ordered enhanced bluetooth you don't need Apps to show album covers or stream. My car does not have navigation or Apps, all I ordered was the enhanced bluetooth. You can use the white iphone/ipod cable that will plug into the usb located in the center console. Once plugged in there, you can view all your playlists and album cover art. You can also bluetooth stream your music from your iphone, but you will not get playlists or album cover art.
Hope this helps a bit.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:26 AM   #6
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by levente View Post
If you ordered enhanced bluetooth you don't need Apps to show album covers or stream. My car does not have navigation or Apps, all I ordered was the enhanced bluetooth. You can use the white iphone/ipod cable that will plug into the usb located in the center console. Once plugged in there, you can view all your playlists and album cover art. You can also bluetooth stream your music from your iphone, but you will not get playlists or album cover art.
Hope this helps a bit.
Thanks.

I assume this is using the iDrive GUI and not the Apple PlugIn option that requires Apps?

Still good that you can get album art by just plugging in with the white cable. Would an iPod Nano support album art that way too?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:31 AM   #7
levente
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDowson View Post
Thanks.

I assume this is using the iDrive GUI and not the Apple PlugIn option that requires Apps?

Still good that you can get album art by just plugging in with the white cable. Would an iPod Nano support album art that way too?
Everything is done on the iDrive screen. The Nano should also support the album art. I have a iPod mini plugged in and it is working beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 07:34 AM   #8
BimmerMad
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Cheers dude.
Appreciate 0