E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Underseat subs to replace OEM HiFi ones

09-02-2012, 05:02 PM   #1
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 328i

Underseat subs to replace OEM HiFi ones

Hey guys, sorry in advance if this is a commonly asked question. My search results didn't turn out too well. I have the HiFi system and I'd like to add a bit a thump to my car. I'm not a big fan of having subs in the back of my car, but rather the feeling of having that bass right on top of you. What are the best bang for my buck options for this? And will I need an amp? And remember, this is all within a high school kid's budget haha. I'd like to install these by myself, since installation costs are often pretty steep. Any links or advice would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 05:11 PM   #2
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I would normally say that you can add an amp to the OEM underseat woofers and as long as you are careful you can get a decent bump in bass response without frying your speakers, but then you are in HIGH SCHOOL, LOL, so no, IMO there is nothing you can (should) do short of adding a trunk mounted sub.

No offense, I was a high-schooler once, and I know for a fact that my OEM speakers would not have survived for more than a week.
      09-02-2012, 05:21 PM   #3
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
I would normally say that you can add an amp to the OEM underseat woofers and as long as you are careful you can get a decent bump in bass response without frying your speakers, but then you are in HIGH SCHOOL, LOL, so no, IMO there is nothing you can (should) do short of adding a trunk mounted sub.

No offense, I was a high-schooler once, and I know for a fact that my OEM speakers would not have survived for more than a week.
Haha I don't blast it that loud.. It's kind of obnoxious on how loud some of my friends' cars are. I just want that deep, low bass that will make the sound more enjoyable. I've seen that the underseat 6-6.5" subs run for around $80 each.. How much would an amp cost?

The 6" would be the only sub that would fit correct? Or would the 8" ones work... I heard those 8" are only for L7
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:11 PM   #4
kaigoss69
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335i

I suggest you read the sticky for more info on what you've got. They're 8" but they're woofers, not subs. Nothing too "deep" or "low" can be expected from them. Once you start looking at replacement, it is often cheaper just to add a small trunk sub and use the underseats as midbass, which is what they do well.
      09-02-2012, 08:32 PM   #5
GChase
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69
I suggest you read the sticky for more info on what you've got. They're 8" but they're woofers, not subs. Nothing too "deep" or "low" can be expected from them. Once you start looking at replacement, it is often cheaper just to add a small trunk sub and use the underseats as midbass, which is what they do well.
Thanks, I think that's the way I'm going to go. I'm probably going to get a mono amplifier and a 10" sub in the back. I'm going to get just the speaker and build a box around that that will fit inside of the spot in the trunk that normally holds a spare tire. That should work right?
Appreciate 0