E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Anyone road course with a BBK yet?

08-14-2007, 08:13 AM   #1
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 M Coupe

Anyone road course with a BBK yet?

What's your experience? Happy with purchase/performance? If you haven't purchased but are looking, are you looking at Brembro over Stoptech over other? Why?

This topic could also go in the suspension/brakes forum, but I decided to post it here since I'm specifically asking about BBK performance on track and what may make one better than the other for that purpose.

My trip to Road Atlanta last weekend was fruitful, and I'll be running in a faster group my next trip out now that I'm pretty comfortable with the line. This means that I'll be able to hit the speed limiter down the back straight, or maybe even exceed it if it becomes possible to override it before then and I decide to take that step. In light of that and to err on the side of safety, I think a BBK make be in order for the front's over the next few months. I know that Brembro and Stoptech both make kits for the 335, and that both companies are big names in this arena. However, I haven't been able to find a decent comparison between the construction of the two setups, or at least what components to look at for quality, and what might make one the superior choice.

-Hegemony
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:04 AM   #2
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post
What's your experience? Happy with purchase/performance? If you haven't purchased but are looking, are you looking at Brembro over Stoptech over other? Why?

This topic could also go in the suspension/brakes forum, but I decided to post it here since I'm specifically asking about BBK performance on track and what may make one better than the other for that purpose.

My trip to Road Atlanta last weekend was fruitful, and I'll be running in a faster group my next trip out now that I'm pretty comfortable with the line. This means that I'll be able to hit the speed limiter down the back straight, or maybe even exceed it if it becomes possible to override it before then and I decide to take that step. In light of that and to err on the side of safety, I think a BBK make be in order for the front's over the next few months. I know that Brembro and Stoptech both make kits for the 335, and that both companies are big names in this arena. However, I haven't been able to find a decent comparison between the construction of the two setups, or at least what components to look at for quality, and what might make one the superior choice.

-Hegemony
Hege,

I feel somewhat the same as you. Towards the end of a 20 minute session on a 100+ degree day, I am not so confident about the brakes. The pedal effort definitely increases, so I'm not apt to go all out in the straights.

I think the mechanical parts of the 335i brakes are fantastic. Look, they have shorter 70-0 stopping distances than the new M3, according to C/D. Where they fail is repeated hard stops. I would first swap out the brake fluid.

that helped quite a bit.

Next on my list are some Porterfield R4 pads in the front. I'm a little wary as I don't want to upset the balance too much, but Porterfield hasn't made a rear application yet for the 335i.

If you just do a front BBK, I can't imagine you would get away with not upsetting something.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 09:13 AM   #3
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hegemony View Post

-Hegemony
There was a thread over on Audiworld comparing Stoptech to Brembo to Alcon..just to help things alone...Ted@StaSIS is the Alcon representative, Dan Barnes is from Stoptech, and Gary is from Race Technologies (major Brembo importer). It will take a while to read..but this set of threads has lots of good information comparing Alcon/Stoptech/Brembo.

http://forums.audiworld.com/brakes/msgs/1734.phtml

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 10:52 AM   #4
sg335
Captain
Rep

Great find!

Run Motul RBF600 fluid and change to race pads for the track. Porterfield does make pads in various compounds and manufacturers for both the front and rear of the 335i. They used my car's pads as templetes You can run Porterfield, Raybestos or Hawk in any of their compounds. Just give them a call.

If these modifications still don't provide enough consistant braking at your events, then its time for a BBK. The Stoptech guys are great and they used a previous car of mine to develop a four wheel kit to bring to market. If you live in SoCal, you can stop by their factory. Like I said before, any of these BBK's will be fine and won't be a "wrong" choice. Just make sure the brake pad manufacturer you want to use makes a pad for the particular caliper.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:13 AM   #5
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

I've already swapped to the Motul fluid and will probably just get pads for my next major event (Barber in Sept.) I'm simply looking forward to next year and am strongly considering getting a 2 or 4 wheel BBK over the winter, so I'm starting to do my research now.

S4to335, thanks for the link. I'll take a look.

sg335, Have they actually developed both front and rear pads yet for Poterfield, Raybestos and Hawk? What vendors have them? I've only seen the Porterfield fronts for track pads. All the others I've seen have been low dust street pads not suitable for track.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:22 AM   #6
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
Great find!

Run Motul RBF600 fluid and change to race pads for the track. Porterfield does make pads in various compounds and manufacturers for both the front and rear of the 335i. They used my car's pads as templetes You can run Porterfield, Raybestos or Hawk in any of their compounds. Just give them a call.

If these modifications still don't provide enough consistant braking at your events, then its time for a BBK. The Stoptech guys are great and they used a previous car of mine to develop a four wheel kit to bring to market. If you live in SoCal, you can stop by their factory. Like I said before, any of these BBK's will be fine and won't be a "wrong" choice. Just make sure the brake pad manufacturer you want to use makes a pad for the particular caliper.
Ditto on Motul RBF600 fluid...have used it in all my cars.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 12:55 PM   #7
Hegemony
Fast Like Tiger
United_States
Rep

Well, having read most of the relevant data from that link and considering that the price difference (MSRP) between Brembro and Stoptech for our BMW's is much narrower than it is for the Audis, Brembros seem like the choice of champions.

Motul RBF600 FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 01:10 PM   #8
leftcoastman
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Is RBF600 compatible with regular Dot4? I heard it contaminates very easily.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 01:19 PM   #9
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I think you need to bleed your brakes more frequently...but I have never had an ill effects from using RBF600 in my race or street cars.

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 05:23 PM   #10
Rugs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

It's also a good idea to bleed your brakes after each Track event...
I also ran Motul RBF600 in my AP Racing BBK on my G35 & had no problems.

Hege.... I assume AP Racing doesn't make a kit for the e90/93,93, since I haven't seen anyone comment on them. If they do, they would be worth considering.
Track Video with AP Racing BBK Out Braking a Modified C6 Corvette:
SMART-Top /One-Off Opaque Vinyl EYELIDS / 30% TINT / A.C.SCHNITZER Pedals / "M" Tri-Color Wheel w/Paddles / EIBACH Pro-Kit / AKEBONA F. & EBC RED-STUFF R.Dustless Pads / Drilled & Slotted ROTORS / MIRO M6 Reps / MICHELIN PS2's / U.R.Coated DP's / CYBA-QUAD Exhaust Tips / BMS-TUNED...
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 07:03 PM   #11
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg335 View Post
Great find!

Can you give me the part number for the pads. I litterally just got off the phone with Porterfield and the lady that answered the phone assured me several times that they do not carry a pad for the 335i. I'm not doubting you, it could be that this lady just didn't know, but I would like to get a set of track pads and a part number would be helpful to reference when I call back.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2007, 11:26 PM   #12
sg335
Captain
Rep

I started a thread on this a few months ago. I believe I posted the part numbers there. Marlene is helpful, but only knows what is posted in their catologue. You must speak with Tim. He is the one I worked with and has the part number which really just indicates the shape of the pad and backing plate. They make a small adjustment to the ears. I believe any brand they carry, they can make fit the 335i. I forgot to mention Performance Friction as another brand they carry.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2007, 12:44 PM   #13
boggysv
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: A4, but riding the bus for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugs View Post
Hege.... I assume AP Racing doesn't make a kit for the e90/93,93, since I haven't seen anyone comment on them. If they do, they would be worth considering.
I've seen some, but the company is uk based, so...

http://www.birds.uk.com/parts-databa...9034908600.pdf
http://www.birds.uk.com/parts-databa...9234920600.pdf
Appreciate 0