E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Air intake , what to do....

12-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #1
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Air intake , what to do....

I am considering a mod or change in intake department , I got the aFe stage 2 DCI, the mod I consider is to seal these filters and make it a CAI setup.

Second , I try to decide between aFe elite stage 2 , Dinan or just a OEM mr.5 mod.

Best looking in my opinion is the simota intake , but its restrictive and got small filter I heard people say.

My question is : Has anyone modded a aFe stage 2 DCI ? Or the Simota?

And why didnt aFe just modify the stage 2 DCI? Why make the elite with just one filter.

And the gruppe M , is it so good ? Its pricy as hell ... where did they go wrong with the simota ? Is it not replica of the gruppe M ?
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
If you can find a used or BNIB old-stock (like mine), the Dinan is really quite nice. I used an AFE DCI (open, not sealed) for quite awhile, but the oiled filters seemed like they dried out really quick and I was always cleaning/re-oiling them.

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #3
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]

The "which intake best" debate has been beaten to a pulp. Terry@BMS collected an abundance of data that showed there was no significant difference of IATs between open vs. closed filters.

If you want something aesthetically pleasing, yes the Gruppe M or Simota are both CF and look nice. But if looks don't matter (and they shouldn't be the #1 factor when buying an intake since you drive with the hood down), then the BMS DCI, aFe DCI or Injen DCI are all perfect intakes that will all give you better "bang for buck" then the Dinan or any other pricey intake.

And you should be cleaning your filters every 20-25k anyhow. Even the filters in a closed element intake is going to get clogged from filtering out leaves/crap that tries to enter the intake tract.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 02:02 PM   #4
BQTuning
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
I am considering a mod or change in intake department , I got the aFe stage 2 DCI, the mod I consider is to seal these filters and make it a CAI setup.

Second , I try to decide between aFe elite stage 2 , Dinan or just a OEM mr.5 mod.

Best looking in my opinion is the simota intake , but its restrictive and got small filter I heard people say.

My question is : Has anyone modded a aFe stage 2 DCI ? Or the Simota?

And why didnt aFe just modify the stage 2 DCI? Why make the elite with just one filter.

And the gruppe M , is it so good ? Its pricy as hell ... where did they go wrong with the simota ? Is it not replica of the gruppe M ?
aFe made their Stage 2 Elite with one filter for the same reason Simota and Group M did. They retained the same like schematical design as the OEM intake with just a single filter to be a "direct" CAI replacement and upgrade.

The aFe Stage 2 Elite performs on the same scale as the Dinan CAI http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...7&postcount=26

Edit: Forgot to mention, the aFe Stage 2 elite out of all the CAI's is more flexable as you can seal it completely or you can leave the cover off if you want the best of CAI and DCI worlds. Having the cover off does not get heat soaked. The intake box housing does a great job keeping heat out from the engine bay, and yes you have the loud sucking air sound like the DCI when the cover is off.

Last edited by BQTuning; 12-27-2012 at 02:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 03:01 PM   #5
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy89 View Post

The "which intake best" debate has been beaten to a pulp. Terry@BMS collected an abundance of data that showed there was no significant difference of IATs between open vs. closed filters.

If you want something aesthetically pleasing, yes the Gruppe M or Simota are both CF and look nice. But if looks don't matter (and they shouldn't be the #1 factor when buying an intake since you drive with the hood down), then the BMS DCI, aFe DCI or Injen DCI are all perfect intakes that will all give you better "bang for buck" then the Dinan or any other pricey intake.

And you should be cleaning your filters every 20-25k anyhow. Even the filters in a closed element intake is going to get clogged from filtering out leaves/crap that tries to enter the intake tract.

My question WAS : Has anyone modded a aFe stage 2 DCI ? Or the Simota?
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
My question WAS : Has anyone modded a aFe stage 2 DCI ? Or the Simota?
Once again, search...

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=675332
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

IAT data is only relevant if the IAT is measured pre turbo. IAT data post intercooler means the air has already been passed through intercooler, which means the intercooler is doing the work and it's not necessarily the intake doing all the work.

Keeping that in mind there are more important things other then IAT, especially when going up in boost, and that is flow.

Getting flow is more important on a turbo vehicle as the IAT's can be reduced from a good intercooler.

Ideally, breathing in cool dense air will help your turbo's run efficient, and therefore their output pre intercooler will be more efficient, making it easier for your intercooler to keep those temps in check even more.

Get an intake the breathes in cool air and flows great and you have the ideal setup.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:22 PM   #8
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:

What part of DCI intake do you not understand ?

the one you refer to is NOT.

I HAVE DCI INTAKE , I am asking if anyone modded this one , not the elite version.

Want me to color it with crayons too ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #9
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
IAT data is only relevant if the IAT is measured pre turbo. IAT data post intercooler means the air has already been passed through intercooler, which means the intercooler is doing the work and it's not necessarily the intake doing all the work.

Keeping that in mind there are more important things other then IAT, especially when going up in boost, and that is flow.

Getting flow is more important on a turbo vehicle as the IAT's can be reduced from a good intercooler.

Ideally, breathing in cool dense air will help your turbo's run efficient, and therefore their output pre intercooler will be more efficient, making it easier for your intercooler to keep those temps in check even more.

Get an intake the breathes in cool air and flows great and you have the ideal setup.
The reason I am asking is that the aFe DCI stage 2 kit is very good in my opinion , but would be perfect if modded into more of a CAI/DCI setup.

The aFe stage 2 DCI comes with partial enclosure , so I would think doing the rest and close in the dual cone filters would give ultimate flow and cold air.

Im no expert , this is just my logic talking and appreciate all input , also Benzy

Am I wrong in my thinking ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 07:15 PM   #10
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
Yes, the reason why the open element filters work so well is because the eliminate the restrictive nature of an closed-intake (piping, an airbox, etc.).

The biggest problem with what you're looking to accomplish is the size of the open element filters (whether it's the BMS DCIs or aFe DCIs). When going closed filter, you lose a lot of the spacing (because of the piping & the actual box to seal in the intake) and becomes more beneficial to do one, oversized filter. Someone tried sealing "in" a aFe DCI a while ago by adding the OEM filter lid, but it did more damage than good by disrupting/restricting air flow to the filters.

If you want a true CAI, the STETT, Mr5 & Dinan (which is basically an upgrade of the OEM) are the only REAL options. The Gruppe M & Simota are either overpriced/ineffective, and the aFe Elite is basically a less restrictive version of the OEM intake (only taking air from behind the kidneys).
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #11
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Someone tried sealing "in" a aFe DCI a while ago by adding the OEM filter lid, but it did more damage than good by disrupting/restricting air flow to the filters.

This was the info I was looking for . Ok, thanks for the info

So if it was to work with dual filters , it had to be a huge filterbox to seal them off and plenty of cold air in sufficient supply?

So the sealed elite is my option then , maybe have the lid upgraded to CF.

Just need to know if it comes in conflict with ER CP with Forge DVs

Anyone with that combo ?
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
The reason I am asking is that the aFe DCI stage 2 kit is very good in my opinion , but would be perfect if modded into more of a CAI/DCI setup.

The aFe stage 2 DCI comes with partial enclosure , so I would think doing the rest and close in the dual cone filters would give ultimate flow and cold air.

Im no expert , this is just my logic talking and appreciate all input , also Benzy

I'll be honest, I sell a lot of AFe intakes, and a lot of them are named Stage 2, so I have no idea which one you are referring too LOL.

If you can throw a part number my way I could probably get a better visual.

If I think I know which you are referring to then I believe it has a heat shield on the bottom but that is about it.

You are probably better of with the stage 2 Elite SI intake which is a full enclosure from the start if that is what you are seeking. Part 54-82002 or 51-82002.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
benzy89
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.50]
Quote:
This was the info I was looking for . Ok, thanks for the info

So if it was to work with dual filters , it had to be a huge filterbox to seal them off and plenty of cold air in sufficient supply?

So the sealed elite is my option then , maybe have the lid upgraded to CF.

Just need to know if it comes in conflict with ER CP with Forge DVs

Anyone with that combo ?
I'm running the aFe DCI (which has the exact same mounting/intake tubing location) with the ER CP & Forge DVs with no install problems. Since all of the aFe intakes reuses the OEM airbox features (the mounting brackets on the intake manifold & same angle as the intake tubes), there shouldn't be any fitment problems.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 01:29 AM   #14
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
I'll be honest, I sell a lot of AFe intakes, and a lot of them are named Stage 2, so I have no idea which one you are referring too LOL.

If you can throw a part number my way I could probably get a better visual.

If I think I know which you are referring to then I believe it has a heat shield on the bottom but that is about it.

You are probably better of with the stage 2 Elite SI intake which is a full enclosure from the start if that is what you are seeking. Part 54-82002 or 51-82002.
Oh come on you know the difference between stage 2 DCI and stage 2 elite ? you crazy americans

I really like the stage 2 elite , but I dont like the look of the elite with 2 snorkels going to filterbox/enclosure.

I have to go to the thinking box ... and think , and think
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 12:34 PM   #15
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Oh come on you know the difference between stage 2 DCI and stage 2 elite ? you crazy americans

I really like the stage 2 elite , but I dont like the look of the elite with 2 snorkels going to filterbox/enclosure.

I have to go to the thinking box ... and think , and think
I clearly know there is a difference, as I just recommended the Stage 2 Elite over the one you have.

I just wanted to confirm as AFE in its poor marketing named all their intakes with a Stage 2 in the name. It reminds of the days when people use to brag they had stage 4 clutches, or stage 3 dodge neon SRT-4's or stage 2 STI's. (Just makes it sound better then it really is).

As far as looks vs power go, which do you want? Looks or power?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2012, 04:14 AM   #16
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Both damn it , both ...
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:01 AM   #17
Ammo335xi
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Anyone know how to replace the IAT sensor? I searched for a thread but came up empty. Maybe because i'm a newbie to this site and don't have permissions? Is it something simple i can replace? Will i need to have the dealer re-code the thing like everything else on my car? 08 335xi.

Thanks for the assist.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:26 AM   #18
Red_Bean_Bun
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92

For intakes - its more into sound compared to looks.......

Quote:
I clearly know there is a difference, as I just recommended the Stage 2 Elite over the one you have.

I just wanted to confirm as AFE in its poor marketing named all their intakes with a Stage 2 in the name. It reminds of the days when people use to brag they had stage 4 clutches, or stage 3 dodge neon SRT-4's or stage 2 STI's. (Just makes it sound better then it really is).

As far as looks vs power go, which do you want? Looks or power?
Appreciate 0