E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Radiator leak right after dealer visit

02-15-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Radiator leak right after dealer visit

10 minutes into Driving home from my local BMW dealer after a rear brake job,a spark plug replacement and an oil change on my bone stock 08 E90 335I,it started to display a coolant low level symbol.I get home and my car is leaking coolant from all over the radiator.
Earlier in the day,my S.A called me to inform me that I had an oil leak from my oil filter housing seal.The quote was $460 which I declined!
The car is very well maintained and it never had any issues!
My theory is that they might have topped off my coolant and overfilled it thereby the added pressure busted my radiator?
The car has 96400 miles.
Maybe it was payback for doing only the service that was under warranty?
Should I have dealer tow the car and take a look at it?
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:43 PM   #2
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

Valencia BMW in Santa Clarita

Update:
Talked to S.A in the morning and he claimed I had the Gold extended service warranty from the pervious owner so I proceded to have it towed to the dealership.About four hours later,I get a call saying that I have a busted hose running along the top of the radiator and by the way suddenly the warranty does not apply to me as it is not transferrable to me.
I get to the dealership and the S.A informs me that they busted another in the process of installing the first one. and that he makes it sound like he is doing me a favor and not charging me for the second hose!He goes I told you that the car may be repaired under warranty!
After playing with words and deceiving me,I payed my bill and swore to myself that I will never take my BMW to Valencia BMW in Santa Clarita,again!By the way,I happen to be an automotive tech!
Buyer beware!You can imagine how badly your average Joe is being cheated and that hose was purposely damaged by the tech that originally worked on it!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Booztd 3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Not to discredit the dealer, and acknowledging that you *believed* the car was under warranty - why not just pop the hood and check things out? If you're an automotive tech this kind of stuff shouldn't scare you.....not to mention give you a little more validation when questioning the things the dealer tells you may be wrong with your car...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #4
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Usually this the radiator fitting not engaging...simply pull up on the clip and push in...if it is not engaged all the way the O-ring will not be engaged...had this happen after I installed my RB's
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booztd 3 View Post
Not to discredit the dealer, and acknowledging that you *believed* the car was under warranty - why not just pop the hood and check things out? If you're an automotive tech this kind of stuff shouldn't scare you.....not to mention give you a little more validation when questioning the things the dealer tells you may be wrong with your car...
I wanted to leave things intact!Otherwise I could've performed a pressure test on the cooling system!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 09:49 AM   #6
E36graduate
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6MT

oil filter housing leak is a common problem with n54, i believe it has a 30,000 mile service interval? Mine is stock at 120,000 miles and leaks a little.

I'm not a service tech, but a slick salesperson, LOL, but can turn a wrench.

I learned my first experience with bringing my first e36 bmw to a dealer 12 years ago....i needed a new ball joint and the bill ended up being like $400 (after market warranty kicked in).....did some research on a forum back in the day and when I picked up the car from the dealer I asked if they replaced the whole control arm with the ball joint and was told no, so I then asked why it was so much and got a bunch of BS from them. Basically a $50 ball joint that can easily be punched out and replaced......the dealer ended up dropping the co-payment, or whatever it is called. I'm sure they stuck it to the extended warranty insurance.

Now I do everything myself. I am curiuos what they charged for an oil change, spark plug change and rear brake job......let me guess:

oil change - $150 (cost me $60 with filter - 30 minutes)
spark plugs - $ 350 (cost me $60 about 2 hours and afew beers)
rear brake/w/rotors - $ 450 (cost me $350 for all for rotors and pads, good afternoon)

About $1000 you gave them, they wanted more.....try another dealer or do it yourself...your an automotive tech ......!

2008 335xi - 6MT - BMS JB4 G5i - BMS DCI - BMS OCC - BMS WW Meth - Spec Stage 2+ - Spec SMFW - 19" MVR Magnum's - KW V1's - TMS 12.5+20mm Spacers
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2013, 03:20 PM   #7
unic66
Private First Class
Armenia
Rep

All service was done under BMW extended maintenance coverage that I inherited from the previous owner,not to be confused with the BMW extended service warranty!
The tech probably got pissed that he was doing that stuff under the coverage so he created work for himself!
Appreciate 0