M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-17-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

UK M5 owners, what exhausts are you running ?

Hi Fellas,
Have any UK M5 owners, changed their exhausts yet ?, and if so, which make did you go for ?. Any comparisons to the stock system, would be appreciated. I think i would choose the Eisenmann sport/ race myself, but am wary of chopping up the standard exhaust, to fit the silencers. I know you can buy the centre pipes as well, but its starting to get very expensive at this point. Also like the Turner Motorsport option as well, regards, SIMON.

Last edited by Simon H; 04-17-2013 at 02:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I am looking at options myself, the two on my short list are Eisenmann Sport or the Supersprint with valves.....

Not heard either in person, just looking for a bit more subtle sound.

My last car was a Maserati GTS and the sound that made was wonderful, unfortunately the rest of the package didn't live up to the same standard.....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 01:09 PM   #3
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M5

Hi Simon,

I am thinking exactly the same as you, Eisenmann seems the best 'bang per buck' although as you said the Turner Motorsport option is very well priced and sounds great - delivery isn't going to be cheap though is it!?
The Remus system sounds good and they have UK suppliers.

I guess as long as you can pop the OEM parts back on the exhaust then the Eisenmann race seems the obvious choice - It's around 2.5k isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 02:44 PM   #4
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbomb View Post
Hi Simon,

I am thinking exactly the same as you, Eisenmann seems the best 'bang per buck' although as you said the Turner Motorsport option is very well priced and sounds great - delivery isn't going to be cheap though is it!?
The Remus system sounds good and they have UK suppliers.

I guess as long as you can pop the OEM parts back on the exhaust then the Eisenmann race seems the obvious choice - It's around 2.5k isn't it?
Hi jbomb,
I think your point, of being able to refit the standard exhausts, is a good one. I would like to see suppliers, say Eisenmann, supply a sleeved pipe, as part of the exhaust package, that allows refitting of the original exhaust, that has been removed. Did you get your car ?, and how do you like it ?, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2013, 03:27 PM   #5
Paul@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Keep in my guys that Evolve are the sole UK distributor for Supersprint exhausts for BMW, so if you are looking for any advice just let us know.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:36 AM   #6
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon H View Post
Hi jbomb,
I think your point, of being able to refit the standard exhausts, is a good one. I would like to see suppliers, say Eisenmann, supply a sleeved pipe, as part of the exhaust package, that allows refitting of the original exhaust, that has been removed. Did you get your car ?, and how do you like it ?, regards, SIMON.
Still waiting Simon, I have been told it is built but no idea when it will arrive, I guess maybe 3 weeks!
I am just doing the usual thing of thinking of all the things I can buy for it before it has even arrived.
So is the stock exhaust not giving you enough?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:37 AM   #7
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@Evolve View Post
Keep in my guys that Evolve are the sole UK distributor for Supersprint exhausts for BMW, so if you are looking for any advice just let us know.
Thanks Paul, I did get a quote from the UK guys for the Supersprint but it came in at around 4.5k.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 04:40 AM   #8
Paul@Evolve
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Quote:
Thanks Paul, I did get a quote from the UK guys for the Supersprint but it came in at around 4.5k.
For the full system? You should only need the muffler for the extra sound. Unfortunately the UK does get stung with a 20% tax on top of the normal prices.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 05:01 AM   #9
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Still waiting Simon, I have been told it is built but no idea when it will arrive, I guess maybe 3 weeks!
I am just doing the usual thing of thinking of all the things I can buy for it before it has even arrived.
So is the stock exhaust not giving you enough?
Its a tricky answer jbomb.
In some respects, the standard exhaust is enough, it is purposeful, and characterful. I love to give the throttle a blip, when in sport mode, at a standstill, where it will pop and bang a little. Where i would like a little more V8, and popping and banging, is under load, where, i sometimes feel it is quite muted. Its a little frustrating. You know what the TT RS S-Tronic was like, with the secondary cats removed, you could count on it always putting a smile on your face under hard acceleration, with its explosions, and exhaust note, well, in this respect, the M5 sounds good, but not fantastic. A very vague answer i know, but see what you think, when your car lands, and report back, regards, SIMON .
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:25 PM   #10
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The decat on the RS was such a simple yet effective mod and all for £130. I was really hoping a similar thing could be achieved with the M5 but I guess that was wishful thinking!
Do you know how much the eisenmann race is, I have a feeling it is around 2.5k?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:48 AM   #11
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
The decat on the RS was such a simple yet effective mod and all for £130. I was really hoping a similar thing could be achieved with the M5 but I guess that was wishful thinking!
Do you know how much the eisenmann race is, I have a feeling it is around 2.5k?
Hi jbomb,
Not priced the Eisenmann yet, but if it is £2.5k, i wont be bothering. I actually dont think the sound is bad enough, to spend that much. I have a feeling that the E60 M5 Eisenmann was around £1700 here. Would consider modifying the standard silencers, if we could find someone that has already done it here, that should give the same results, as aftermarket gear.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 03:42 AM   #12
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi jbomb,
Not priced the Eisenmann yet, but if it is £2.5k, i wont be bothering. I actually dont think the sound is bad enough, to spend that much. I have a feeling that the E60 M5 Eisenmann was around £1700 here. Would consider modifying the standard silencers, if we could find someone that has already done it here, that should give the same results, as aftermarket gear.
I was thinking the same about getting the OEM exhaust modified?

I know of a company that done the same thing to a E92 M3 exhaust with positive outcome, but they have not done a F10 M5, I guess if someone is willing to be a let them do it, they would be happy to try.....
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:16 AM   #13
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
I was thinking the same about getting the OEM exhaust modified?

I know of a company that done the same thing to a E92 M3 exhaust with positive outcome, but they have not done a F10 M5, I guess if someone is willing to be a let them do it, they would be happy to try.....
Hi Mate,
Yes, the E92 M3 responded well to the exhaust mod, and didnt cost the earth. There is a good post somewhere on here, i cant remember which thread it was on, that showed an opened up rear silencer, and i studied it for some time. I think it would actually be easier to mod this exhaust, than the M3s, because the baffled pipes, are shorter, and straighter, although there are two silencers of course. It would also save a lot of money ?, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #14
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hi Mate,
Yes, the E92 M3 responded well to the exhaust mod, and didnt cost the earth. There is a good post somewhere on here, i cant remember which thread it was on, that showed an opened up rear silencer, and i studied it for some time. I think it would actually be easier to mod this exhaust, than the M3s, because the baffled pipes, are shorter, and straighter, although there are two silencers of course. It would also save a lot of money ?, regards, SIMON.
I saw the thread, I think I will send the pictures to the company I mentioned and see what they think, as you say its got to be a lot cheaper......

i will update you when I hear back.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:28 PM   #15
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by w5pwr View Post
I saw the thread, I think I will send the pictures to the company I mentioned and see what they think, as you say its got to be a lot cheaper......

i will update you when I hear back.
That would be a great idea, thanks mate, keep us informed.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 08:29 AM   #16
jbomb
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That would be a great idea, thanks mate, keep us informed.
Simon/W5PWR, have you ever used blue flame performance? They can make a custom exhaust. I asked what their price would be for something similar to the 'E race' and he quoted £1200 (stainless steel solution) and needs the car for 2 days. I thought that sounded very good!
Might be something a few of us could do together to make sure the solution is bang on?
Cheers,
James

Last edited by jbomb; 04-22-2013 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Simon H
Major
Rep

Quote:
Simon/W5PWR, have you ever used blue flame performance? They can make a custom exhaust. I asked what their price would be for something similar to the 'E race' and he quoted £1200 (stainless steel solution) and needs the car for 2 days. I thought that sounded very good!
Might be something a few of us could do together to make sure the solution is bang on?
Cheers,
James
Hi jbomb,
I have never used Blueflame, but i have heard of them. They used to be very local to me, in Lancs, but i thought they had gone out of business ?. I now believe that they had just moved, and are still going ?. It sounds like a good idea, if anyone is able to lend them their car.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #18
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

All I am going to do is remove the rear boxes and fit straight pipes. My local exhaust shop will do it for me. Still 9 weeks to wait yet though
      05-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #19
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmc View Post
All I am going to do is remove the rear boxes and fit straight pipes. My local exhaust shop will do it for me. Still 9 weeks to wait yet though
Am I correct in assuming all straight pipe set-ups should sound the same if they have oem mid pipes?

In other words if you remove the oem muffler and replace with a straight pipe it will sound the same as the Turner system?

Perhaps the "oem exhaust mod" for the F10 M5 will simply be elimination of the muffler as paulmc indicated above.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:10 AM   #20
M5 TT
Captain
Scotland
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwlmd View Post
In other words if you remove the oem muffler and replace with a straight pipe it will sound the same as the Turner system?.
That was kind of my thoughts and at a fraction of the cost. I did this mod to my 535d GT and cost me something like £200.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 05:36 AM   #21
Simon H
Major
Rep

If you study the photo of the internals of the M5 rear silencers [ they are on here somewhere ], you will see that the silencers are pretty straight through as standard. I think all that needs to be done, is to remove the top, or bottom of the silencer, and either wrap the small baffled pipes, or remove those, and weld a Y piece in, if you can get at it, then reweld the pieces back in. This will more than probably have the same effect as most aftermarket pipes, still look stock, and cost a fraction of the price. Im not bothered about any larger tips etc. The modded E92 M3s exhaust sounded perfect, and im sure this could be applied to the M5 ?, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 06:05 AM   #22
w5pwr
Private First Class
Rep

Well I still can't make my mind up what too do.....

I was about to order E Race, but would love to hear in person how loud they are on 'cold start', the modification of OEM sounds good solution, but no way back if you don't like the sound or sell the car back to a dealer?
Appreciate 0