M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Engine, Exhaust, Drivetrain Modifications

04-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #1
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '24 M4C Conv

A question for those of you with aftermarket exhausts

I have to admit to being disappointed in what I see as a lack of visceral, "seat of the pants" feedback from the M5. So I'm starting down the road of a few mods, and will add a couple of cosmetic bits and a short throw shifter next week. I may install a set of H&R springs as well. But I'm hoping to get some honest feedback on aftermarket exhausts.

Someone once told me that spending money on aftermarket exhausts is for the pleasure of other drivers since you don't really hear it yourself from inside the car. I know that after spending $4k on a sport exhaust for my 911, the result was nice, but not great from inside. But once, when I let a buddy drive my car while I followed in his M3, I was shocked at how great my 911 sounded -- from his car! And I was disappointed that I couldn't get that same enjoyment when actually driving the car.

So . . . does an aftermarket M5 exhaust really make a difference from inside the car. Or is it mostly for external pleasure?
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
I have to admit to being disappointed in what I see as a lack of visceral, "seat of the pants" feedback from the M5. So I'm starting down the road of a few mods, and will add a couple of cosmetic bits and a short throw shifter next week. I may install a set of H&R springs as well. But I'm hoping to get some honest feedback on aftermarket exhausts.

Someone once told me that spending money on aftermarket exhausts is for the pleasure of other drivers since you don't really hear it yourself from inside the car. I know that after spending $4k on a sport exhaust for my 911, the result was nice, but not great from inside. But once, when I let a buddy drive my car while I followed in his M3, I was shocked at how great my 911 sounded -- from his car! And I was disappointed that I couldn't get that same enjoyment when actually driving the car.

So . . . does an aftermarket M5 exhaust really make a difference from inside the car. Or is it mostly for external pleasure?
It does make a difference. Especially if you get the Eisenmann Race axleback.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:46 PM   #3
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

It all depends
As you know I have the Akrapovic and it's probably on the quieter side from the inside as compared to other more aggressive exhaust such as Eisenmann, Turner, Hartge etc
From the outside people always like the sound of the car and give compliments.
If you're looking for an exhaust which is louder and you hear more pronounced from the inside you probably want to look at the Eisenman axle-back or if it should be even louder the Turner pipes.
I happily offer you to ride in mine and to listen to the Akrapovic. I'm sure Turner would be happy to give you a ride in their M5 too .
15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
Bokke
Major
Rep
Drives: E90M3/991.2GT3/G82M4CSL/9YOTGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmh View Post
It all depends
As you know I have the Akrapovic and it's probably on the quieter side from the inside as compared to other more aggressive exhaust such as Eisenmann, Turner, Hartge etc
If you're looking for an exhaust which is louder and you hear more pronounced from the inside you probably want to look at the Eisenman axle-back or if it should be even louder the Turner pipes.
I happily offer you to ride in mine and to listen to the Akrapovic. I'm sure Turner would be happy to give you a ride in their M5 too .
+1
23 G82 ///M4CSL | AW | Race Buckets |
24 9YO Cayenne TGT | QGM| Burgundy | Neodyne / PCCB
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 01:54 PM   #5
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm going to drive the Turner car on Tuesday.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
M54ccibo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 GT4

Quote:
It all depends
^this
'10 E60 M5, Space Gray/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #7
LonghornM5
Rep
Drives: MCB, DCT, Turner, iND, invisbr

I'm about to pull the trigger on a black tipped Turner exhaust.... Please post your thoughts!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:51 PM   #8
mwlmd
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche 991 TTS

I think if you want to hear more sound in the cabin you need to increase the volume of active sound in the cabin. Otherwise add an E-race and roll down the windows.
Hers: BMW X3MC
BSM/Black
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 03:56 PM   #9
mindlessmark07
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 M5

I recently switched from the Eisenmann sport cans to the GtHaus full system and I can definitely hear it inside.

MindlessMark07
///2013 M5 Alpine White/Black,Orange County CA\\\
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
Un Gato Malodoro
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 Azurite Black F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindlessmark07
I recently switched from the Eisenmann sport cans to the GtHaus full system and I can definitely hear it inside.
+1

I just had my Meisterschaft installed as well and the sound from inside is great.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 07:20 PM   #11
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornM5 View Post
I'm about to pull the trigger on a black tipped Turner exhaust.... Please post your thoughts!!!
Guys I've been running my straightpiped RPi GTM system for over 2 months now and although there is definitely a noticable sound and decible level change inside the cabin, it doesn't matter which exhaust system you have, the sound proofing in the F10 chassis is too good, and will dampen a lot of sound from the exhaust from reaching inside the cabin. Even with my straightpiped setup, for me personally it's still not good enough inside the cabin to where I feel like I'm driving a race car. This may change with fully catless downpipes, but as far as that race car feeling from inside the F10 M5, it's too hard to achieve even with help from aftermarket exhausts. Only now do I understand why they had to pipe in that induction sound from the speakers.

So to answer your question about the Turner exhaust setup, it is going to be noticable, but it's not going to be a day and night difference like there was with the Eisenmann Race System in the E60 M5.

Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 08:37 PM   #12
jump
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 - Alpine White

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [0.00]
I'm a huge fan of my full GT Haus system. I couldn't imagine going back to the stock exhaust now.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2013, 10:30 PM   #13
stealth.pilot
Knight Commander
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 911 Turbo S

Garage List
Eisenmann Race axle back is the way to go. Sport is very good too, but Race is more pure.

If you want lightweight, order it in Inconel. I think this is a much better sounding exhaust than Akrapovic or anything else.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #14
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by stealth.pilot
Eisenmann Race axle back is the way to go. Sport is very good too, but Race is more pure.

If you want lightweight, order it in Inconel. I think this is a much better sounding exhaust than Akrapovic or anything else.
+1 Go E-Race and be done with it
      04-20-2013, 02:41 AM   #15
Simon H
Major
Rep
Drives: M5 Competition

Eisenmann race is on my radar ATM. Ive listened to every sound clip i can find, but could anyone offer an idea of how much dreaded drone, there might be from the race system ?. Do you retain the popping and banging of the standard system ?. I dont know anyone else here with an M5, let alone someone with an Eisenmann race fitted, so its difficult to make a definate decision, without help from chaps that are in the know, thankyou, regards, SIMON.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 04:22 AM   #16
Tigumz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M-VO; Z8(03)-Blk

Garage List
2003 BMW Z8  [0.00]
2011 Bmw 1M  [0.00]
Does the Eisenmann race sound anything like my former E60 Dinan straight middle pipes + cans (no resonators)? I still look at it fondly in my basement, lol. (saving it perhaps for another e60 someday...)
I have been waiting for the right F10 solution, still undecided...

Let us know what you think of the Turner car, Mark. Nice talking to you at M school, btw.....
2004 Ferrari 360CS, 07 Lotus Exige S
Former M cars: Euro E30 M3, 01 E39 M5, 08 E60 M5, F10 M5, 18 M2Comp
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:51 AM   #17
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I recently chose Eisenmann Sport with non-resonated center x-pipe. I can def hear it from inside the car however it's not loud and like all exhaust I've heard thus far, the sound outside the vehicle is "better" than inside. Here's the thing. With the non-resonated X-pipe, the exhaust sound actually compliments the active sound BMW decided to pipe through the speakers. I can hear the Eisenmann x-pipe in concert with active sound. I have to admit it sounds pretty good. I no longer cringe at the idea that the exhaust note is really just The Matrix creating reality for me. My goal was to improve the sound (inside and out) and the look (black series tips) and I have to say I have achieved both. If I wanted more sound volume outside I'd "upgrade" my E-sport rear section to E-race.

All this is to say that if you want to improve the sound inside the car, whatever exhaust you choose, choose one that offers sound improvements from the center section. IMHO, that contributes a lot to the sound quality you hear inside.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 10:59 AM   #18
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Thanks for all the input guys. Let me add one more complication.

Although I'm trying to improve my aural pleasure when driving, I'm not the "boy racer" type and don't need to wake up the whole neighborhood when I'm coming home late at night (I live in the middle of a pretty densely populated area in Boston). Are any of these systems switchable so that the exhaust note could be muted?
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 12:34 PM   #19
Charlie Brown
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 Azurite Black

I have the same concerns about too much noise. My e-sport with x-pipe is a bit louder on cold startup but quiets down and then only gets loud if I rev it or get on the throttle during acceleration. Also a downshift at high rpm sounds good. When driving normally its only very slightly louder than stock but has a better tone. My setup is very much In keeping with the "athlete in a suit" theme. No boy-racer here.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:04 PM   #20
Pazzo009
Major
Rep
Drives: X5M,M3(46&36),812SF

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinckley View Post
Thanks for all the input guys. Let me add one more complication.

Although I'm trying to improve my aural pleasure when driving, I'm not the "boy racer" type and don't need to wake up the whole neighborhood when I'm coming home late at night (I live in the middle of a pretty densely populated area in Boston). Are any of these systems switchable so that the exhaust note could be muted?
Look into the Meisterschaft GTC with EV control. The price range is relative to the Eisenmann. The reason why I brought to your attention is because it is currently the only exhaust on the market that allows you to control the sound. It has a open and close valve that you can control. So when you want it to be quiet you can close it. People on the forum have said when it's closed its near stock level. They also have said its sounds awesome when it's open. I ordered it so I cannot express my personal views, but other have spoken highly of it. Go to the "exhaust engine" section of the forum, you will see a few posts regarding it.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 02:56 PM   #21
hinckley
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aculeg87 View Post
Look into the Meisterschaft GTC with EV control. The price range is relative to the Eisenmann. The reason why I brought to your attention is because it is currently the only exhaust on the market that allows you to control the sound. It has a open and close valve that you can control. So when you want it to be quiet you can close it. People on the forum have said when it's closed its near stock level. They also have said its sounds awesome when it's open. I ordered it so I cannot express my personal views, but other have spoken highly of it. Go to the "exhaust engine" section of the forum, you will see a few posts regarding it.
Excellent Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 06:55 PM   #22
Rob///M5
Major
Rep
Drives: 2013 M5 SSII

Garage List
2013 BMW M5  [10.00]
You risk more drone with the center pipe replacement. The stock center pipe has a resonator, which attempts to filter out drone. The meister sounds fantastic, but it ain't stock levels, even with the valves closed.

If you really are noise conscious, then Akra is the way to go. Gorgeous build and tips, very sophisticated and exotic sound, not much louder than stock...but unique sounding.

The E Race is absolutely nothing like it was on the E60. You just can't compare a V10 F1 sound to a twin turbo (noise killers) V8. I haven't heard any exhausts that are over the top on the F10 (ok, maybe the RPI straight pipe). So, I would order without fear. Of course, noise is totally subjective, so this is a moot thread at some point.

If loud cold start scares you, then definitely go valved. Otherwise, don't fear noise levels on any of them.

Good luck! Regardless what you pick, it will be better than stock sound.